Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 08:58 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,262,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I could be snarky and say, "I think this is what people who don't reference dictionaries fail to understand," but I won't. Just sayin'...
nvxploer, really don't know quite how to respond to this post. . . you say you won't say something after you said it. . . :confused

Is that suppose to be a put down when you state, "I think this is what people who don't reference dictionaries fail to understand." ?

I have a dictionary at my right hand and use it quite often. . but no, I don't think I, or most Christians need to look up this particular term. I guess failing to appreciate the subtle nuance between spiritual and religious is something that can't betaken away from a dictionary definition.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:10 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,302,233 times
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&d...ition&ct=title

Check out the definition of 'relationship', according to the meaning of the word, it really doesn't work here...connectedness between two people

Old 05-23-2007, 09:31 AM

23,022 posts, read 34,409,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
how did you contact Jesus and get to know him?Did he tell that he loves you so much?
I guess,you went to church from childhood and everybody told you things about Jesus,thus,you believed it!.
He contacted me through the Holy Spirit, something a nonbeliever cannot understand. Yes He told me how much He loves me the day He died on the cross for my sins. And yes I went to church from childhood and learned about Jesus at home and at church and I believe it now because I have a PERSONAL relationship with Him.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:33 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,526,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
To all the people who have written threads on here opposing the believes of Christians, Thanks!!! For it (the threads that have questioned or put down Christians) has made me study my Bible more, reread chapters, look things up in the Strong Accordance and overall become a stronger Christian because Ive left my level of complancincy and started to "study to show myself approved" and spent more time in prayer over what to say. I can only speak for myself but Thanks again!
I would like to thank all the people who badgered me all those years, and whipped me with the bible trying to make me believe exactly as they did..Because of them, I went on my own search for what was required of me to have peace with my beliefs. I read the Bible along with history books, finally, I studied a college textbook "And God Said What" It was about literature and the different terms and forms of literature and its history. I am free now of haqr splitting over scripture and free of the burden of "have to go to my church in order to be saved" I would like to thank the athiests here who have answered my questions in friendliness and courtesy, and thank all the wonderful christian friends I have here who are willing to pray for me when I need it, and will comfort me when I need encouragement. Finally, and most importantly, I thank God for showing me what he wanted me to do in order to have this peace with my religion.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:12 AM

606 posts, read 699,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
He contacted me through the Holy Spirit, something a nonbeliever cannot understand. Yes He told me how much He loves me the day He died on the cross for my sins. And yes I went to church from childhood and learned about Jesus at home and at church and I believe it now because I have a PERSONAL relationship with Him.

If you were born in a atheist family and had no chance to go to church or read bible,you won't have access to Jesus,right?

Interesting,if God loves everyone,why doesn't Jesus contact me through Holy Spirit?or some other way?Maybe Jesus chooses to abandon non-believers? The theory contradicts itself.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:19 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,749,470 times
Quote:
If you were born in a atheist family and had no chance to go to church or read bible,you won't have access to Jesus,right?

Interesting,if God loves everyone,why doesn't Jesus contact me through Holy Spirit?or some other way?Maybe Jesus chooses to abandon non-believers? The theory contradicts itself.
The first part of John 3:16-For God so loved THE WORLD, the word world there means everyone, so no Jesus does not abandon anyone. Jesus uses Christians to spread his word, I know this much about him, someone doesnt have to look for him very long, cause hes right there waiting with his arms wide open.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:18 AM

23,022 posts, read 34,409,881 times
Quote:

Wrong EVERYONE has access to Jesus. John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son so that EVERYONE who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life".

Only Christians have the Holy Spirit

1 Corinthians 2:12-15 "And God has actually given us His Spirit, not the worlds spirit, so we can know the wonderful things God has freely given us. When we tell you this we do not use human wisdom. We speak words given to us by the Spirit using the Spirits words to explain spiritual truths. But people who aren't Christians can't understand these truths from God's Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them because only those who have the Spirit can understand what the Spirit means".

Jeremiah 29:13 "If you you look for me in earnest you will find me when you seek me".

You if seek God wholeheartedly He will be found.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:16 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,013,732 times
Quote:

Seek Ye FIRST the Kingdom of God and all these things shall be added unto YOU.

You have to approach him with an open and humble heart. He will in NO way force himself upon you.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:37 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,535,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Is that suppose to be a put down when you state, "I think this is what people who don't reference dictionaries fail to understand." ?
A put down? No. Holding a mirror to your face? Yes.

My words were in response to this, from you: I think this is what people who arn't spiritual fail to understand.

Being spiritual does not mean you get to redefine the English language. It also doesn't mean that we heathens are incapable of understanding said language.

Belief in God = religious. Plain and simple. That's what the word "religious" means. Why anyone would deny simple definitions of words is beyond me.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:40 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,749,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
A put down? No. Holding a mirror to your face? Yes.

My words were in response to this, from you: I think this is what people who arn't spiritual fail to understand.

Being spiritual does not mean you get to redefine the English language. It also doesn't mean that we heathens are incapable of understanding said language.

Belief in God = religious. Plain and simple. That's what the word "religious" means. Why anyone would deny simple definitions of words is beyond me.
I dont deny that word, it just has a further stretching meaning to some, as already stated in the above post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality