Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2007, 02:32 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,996 times

Advertisements

As ridiculous as this may sound to some who don't get the christian viewpoint, a lot of christians do voice their disapproval over issues like this because we do take a hardline stance. However, a lot of us simply take the stance that we are to love others like Christ does and we are concerned about the eternal aspects of the lives of others. With all the bickering that has transpired here, and I am guilty as the rest, we tend to forget that for those believe in the Bible, God wants that all should come to Him and obtain eternal life.

So our concern is not just anger-based prattle based on emotion; a lot of our concern is genuine for the sake of others and we can never forget that.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:34 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
If you are concerned for others how can you deny them the gift of love?

Old 05-25-2007, 02:35 PM

How is that denial taking place?

Old 05-25-2007, 02:41 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
As ridiculous as this may sound to some who don't get the christian viewpoint, a lot of christians do voice their disapproval over issues like this because we do take a hardline stance. However, a lot of us simply take the stance that we are to love others like Christ does and we are concerned about the eternal aspects of the lives of others. With all the bickering that has transpired here, and I am guilty as the rest, we tend to forget that for those believe in the Bible, God wants that all should come to Him and obtain eternal life.

So our concern is not just anger-based prattle based on emotion; a lot of our concern is genuine for the sake of others and we can never forget that.

Yeah, we are doing it out of love of others, we are doing it to save them.

"Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix."

So lets' save interracial couples by denying interracial marriages too.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:45 PM

We can't save them, only God can save them.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:45 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
Wait wait. Both impositions are not the same.
Some christians impose on gays by trying to put laws in place to force them to live under fundie's rules.
Gays 'impose' by living the way they want to live, they are not affecting non-gays aside from the fact some ppl just don't like them.

You see the difference? How can you say both are imposing?

Fundies want gays to live like them.
Gays DO NOT want fundies to be gays.

YOU ARE SAYING THAT BECAUSE GAY LIFESTYLE IS NOT YOUR CUP OF TEA, THEREFORE THEY ARE IMPOSING ON YOU?? ARE THEY TRYING TO MAKING YOU GAY?
TRYING TO GET RELIGIOUS LAWS INTO OUR GOVERNMENT SO OTHERS HAVE TO FOLLOW IT. THATS IMPOSING.

YES, both groups are damn loud and have in your face opinions. But only one is really imposing on the others.

And the dislike you are trying to compare is hardly similar. The things they christians don't like about screaming liberals and ACLU are they they take power away from their religion and put it on equal standing as others. They are mad that they are no longer the dominating force. They don't like the fact that everyone wants to be equal, they prefer to be the only one on top. Of course they don't like it. One dislikes because they are no longer the most important, the other dislikes because they are not equal.
Ok I understand and agree with some of what you are saying. There are many Christians that are too pushy and want to impose their beliefs on others. I don't agree with that. But sheesh sometimes people make it out to sound like the ACLU is all cream and sugar. I don't think so! Ok won't go there.
All I'm really trying to say is that all Christians have strong opinions but NOT all Christians think it is necessary to "impose" those opinions on others.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:02 PM

We are emotional creatures too. Just look at the boards and see how broad the emotional range is on issues discussed here. We all have issues that we truly believe in and are tendency is to defend them when they are being attacked. Unfortunately, it doesn't help the discussion but we do the best we can.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:04 PM

I need a dunkin donut and some coffee. Eeesh.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:22 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
As I was writing a post on one of the other topics about atheists being threatened by Christians I kind of thought of something else. My point in the other thread was to explain the fact that people feel threatened by other religions because it is not the norm for the society they are familiar with. Every human has the need to be correct. It's what helps them fit into their society. Now, I started to think about this a little broader and realized that maybe we, as humans, just feel threatened by a minority of anything.

I'll take some examples here in America but this can go for the entire world:

Slavery Laws in the Deep South
Jim Crow Laws
McCarthyism (I think that's how you spell it)
Same Sex Marriages

All of these things deal with people that are slightly outside societies norms. The people who are on the "inside" feel subconsciously "threatened" by this new and outside belief or way of life.

I can go back even further, but this is where I might lose some more religious people in my thinking. I think when we were evolving it was important for us to have the same style beliefs and opinions. We are "pack" animals. Most of us have families and live in large communities. In order to benefit our survival we NEEDED to all be on the same page. I think man's early survival required us to question different people. Apes behave very similarly in the wild. They will fight and/or kill an ape that is different if it is in their territory. I think this is a leftover of our apelike ancestors we just handle it in a much more evolved way

Old 05-25-2007, 03:44 PM

174 posts, read 430,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
If researchers confirm their belief that homosexuality is indeed either genetic or innate due to differences in the brain when the person is born would that change your oppinion as to if the behavior is a sin or not?

I am wondering because I think it isn't a choice, I think you are born that way. So if you are born that way then God must have made you that way and it can't be a sin to be as God intended you to be.

So would it change your mind if this is proved by medical science?
I think that environment has a ton to do with later-life orientation. If you are a 1 year old boy raised by two women, I think that you will 'arrive' at 'teenhood' with a different value-set than if you were raised by a hetero couple. Not better or worse, but with different ideas as to what to feel about things. Same applies if you were raised by two men. You're probably going to think its OK to kiss a guy-pal,until everyone asks "what the hell do you think you're doing?" That can lead to a lot of trauma for an 8 year old boy, or even harder for a twelve YO boy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality