Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should everyone live by all of the 10 Commandments?
Yes, people should live by all of the Ten Commandments 40 67.80%
No, some of the Ten Commandments don't need to be followed 19 32.20%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:59 PM

154 posts, read 707,359 times

Advertisements

this question is bizarre. for one to follow the ten commandments, you actually have to belong to a religion that uses them. i can't even answer this, because i'm buddhist, and hence, i follow the five precepts (which are mostly similar to these). so i really can't answer this technically, since i do not belong to a religion preaching these rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 11:06 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroline95 View Post
this question is bizarre. for one to follow the ten commandments, you actually have to belong to a religion that uses them. i can't even answer this, because i'm buddhist, and hence, i follow the five precepts (which are mostly similar to these). so i really can't answer this technically, since i do not belong to a religion preaching these rules.

I can understand that, but I think a nonbeliever can have an opinion whether everyone should abide by the rules, because the "everyone" seems to extend beyond any particular religion, and therefore affects the non-believer.

On the other hand, because the commandments are so tied to religion, the answer for most who don't follow those notions would be self-explanatory. If you don't believe in them, your answer would likely be no, everyone should not live by them all. However, if you do believe in them, the answer you would presume would be yes, but there's a (I think small) chance a believer would say everyone does not have to live by all of them.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:24 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
Well thats me out of the race...

I swear like a sailor when I am really mad...

I have from time to time coveted another womans husband although I would never ACTUALLY act on that...the bible also says "as a man thinketh so is he" from this I am to assume that if I have a fantasy about a married man, thats as bad as doing it...

How many of you really worship on the seventh day, that would be Saturday...

IF god handed down these books to men for them to write them down, why would it be ok for a pope to later change the day of Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday? IF god had all this in his mind don't you think he would have given the day he wanted celebrated??

How many people here really rest on the Sabbath...??? as in do no work...
I am good on the Thou shalt not kill, I haven't killed anyone yet and I would hate to have to.

According to Adventist theology I have other gods before him...I wear jewelry, I LOVE video games, I am obsessed with the beach and thats where you will find me rather then in church...

I have always found it funny how much attention is given to the 10 commandments when there is so much else said in the same tone in the chapters around it that are completely ignored...

Does anyone build an alter and offer up things to god anymore??? Why not, its right there in chapter 25...sounds terribly pagan to me by the way...

Old 05-25-2007, 12:22 AM

989 posts, read 2,762,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroline95 View Post
OK, I've sat back and let things roll for a while... now it's time to kick things up a notch...

I not only think that most people shouldn't strictly follow the 10 commandments, but I think that a lot of Christians would be better off not taking a "strict" interpretation. There are plenty of things to base your life off of... the 10 commandments are not among them.

Astroline, you are a perfect example of why you should vote "NO". Having "everyone" follow the 10 commandments would mean good, decent non-Christians (like I am assuming you are) would be wrong because the very 1st "commandment" is essentially "you have to be Christian/Jew".

Another thing is that most people focus on the "don't carve images of anything in heaven, the earth, or the ocean" portion of the second commandment, but they usually ignore the last half. That is where God says he will lay down vengeance upon your Great-Great Grandchildren (for a graven image). I don't know about you, but being punished because my great-great grandpa carved an angel doesn't seem too much like a "kind and merciful god".

How about the "honor the sabbath" commandment? It does not give an "emergencies" exemption. Does that mean I have broken one of God's laws if I give my choking father the Heimlich maneuver on Sunday? (And PLEEEEAAAASE don't pull any hooey about "I'd be OK, because the Sabbath is really Saturday" ... people choke and drown on Saturdays, too). Does that mean it was "God's Plan" to sit back and watch my father die?

Also, the 10th commandment says you should not covet basically anything that is your neighbors (and BTW, did you see how "neighbor's wife" was just kinda 'slipped in there' with house, donkey, servants, and other "property"?). Why is it a sin to want something that is not yours? Don't you have to want something before you get it? What if you want your neighbor's religious dedication? This commandment focuses strictly on wanting... stealing is covered in a different commandment.

And lastly, what about all the other stuff that was "left out" (it musta been on that 3rd tablet that Mel Brooks dropped). Rape? nope. Child molestation? didn't have room. Treat your wife with respect? Naaaa, if it said that, then you'd have to do the same to the other 'property', and sometimes donkeys need a whip or two for motivation. How about "don't offer to let an angry mob rape your two virgin daughters?" Nope, no room for that one, either... Actually, if you do that, you'd be considered the most righteous person in town (Lot, from Genesis ch 19, the story of Sodom and Gomorrah).

The bible is full of wonderful, moral advice, but it also has some real clunkers. Let your conscious be your guide, because if you strictly follow the bible, then you'd better be prepared to hand over your children's innocence if a mob ever knocks on your door while you are entertaining a guest.

Last edited by Evlevo; 05-25-2007 at 12:33 AM..

Old 05-25-2007, 01:18 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Being a staunch supporter of democratic institutions, the only Commandments that need be followed are those that are codified into civil and criminal law.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:11 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
I believe we should if we claim to know and love and obey Christ.

If you don't believe, you have no reason to follow.

Dawn

Old 05-25-2007, 07:30 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
I believe Jesus said "The greatest commandment is love" If you have love you will automatically follow the other commandments..Love is the greatest commandment and it IS great once you get the hang of it and start practicing it..You will be so surprised when you see no value in raising your voice in anger..That leads to hate..That leads to all the problems in this world..

Old 05-25-2007, 07:41 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,941 times
The 10 Commandments are God's standards. Therefore we should strive to live by those standards. Blue62, you got it!! If we love God and our neighbor as ourselves, all others will fall into line. And as ILNC said, we will all fail in meeting those standards all the time which is why Christ died for us! In reference to the sabbath, this excerpted from http://www.gotquestions.org/Saturday-Sunday.html: (broken link)

An examination of New Testament passages shows us four important points: 1) Whenever Christ appears in His resurrected form and the day is mentioned, it is always the first day of the week (Matthew 28:1, 9, 10; Mark 16:9; Luke 24:1, 13, 15; John 20:19, 26). 2) The only time the Sabbath is mentioned from Acts through Revelation it is for evangelistic purposes to the Jews and the setting is usually in a synagogue (Acts chapters 13–18). Paul wrote, "to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews" (1 Corinthians 9:20). Paul did not go to the synagogue to fellowship with and edify the saints, but to convict and save the lost. 3) Once Paul states "from now on I will go to the Gentiles" (Acts 18:6), the Sabbath is never again mentioned. And 4) instead of suggesting adherence to the Sabbath day, the remainder of the New Testament implies the opposite (including the one exception to point 3 above, found in Colossians 2:16).

Old 05-25-2007, 08:01 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
I have problems with centralized religion imposing exclusivity upon its flock because in my opinion I think the only reason that exclusivity exists is for the enrichment and benefit of individuals wielding power within the hierarchy of the religion. ..........

I've concluded I can't have faith in religions who are defined by a centralized hierarchy and have histories where that hierarchy has acted aggregiously in the name of that religion. If the religion is first, if man's view of God/whomever is first, then your fellow man is not, and that is a threat to the good part of our humanity. See the Crusades, Genghis Khan, wars and violent conversions as examples. In each instance, religion blinded people from their humanity. Perhaps not because of the religion itself, but the centralized hierarchy, which, unfortunately is inextricable from most religions.

Religion is probably the worst thing that has happened to God. The greek root of the word (so I am informed, I don't speak greek) means "to bind or tie". Religion was invented to control and direct believers into set patterns of behavior. That doesn't sound so bad, help people learn how to act properly, until we get more and more different ideas of what is proper and the intrepretations go farther and farther away from the root teaching that started the whole thing.

The Old Testament never defines God or Judaism other than to say that God is the ultimate authorithy and will tolerate no disobediance. Stray and you pay, period. Man defined all of the nuances and names associated with various sects over the centuries.

Jesus never told his disciples which church to join (or startup ) or how to qualify members. He did not correct the technique John the Baptist(or Baptiser if you prefer) used to baptise followers.

Organized religion is the biggest factor in the decline of God simply because it seems to put barriers in place for most people.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:05 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Being a staunch supporter of democratic institutions, the only Commandments that need be followed are those that are codified into civil and criminal law.
NVX, should you ever decide to change sides just remember...God is not a democracy, and was not voted into office. In that respect does not care about your thoughts on his decisions. Kinda like a good parent, he tells you what is good for you and you don't talk back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality