Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 06:07 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,675,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I think most Christians are more discerning than you give us credit for.
I can only go by what I see....and really....I don't see it.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:14 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,262,314 times
It just amazes me that so many people make statements such as they get sick of the constant proselitizing, knocks on doors etc. etc. Really? I am just amazed that this is such a huge problem for you.. . Once or month or so I may get a Jehovah's Witness ring my doorbell and I tell them I'm a Christian and they leave. . . it is a non-issue to me. And I have never seen a Christian approach someone and be obnoxious in any way. Who would pay any attention to or want to listen to someone who is this way?
Where do you guys live that you are constantly bothered by Christians banging on your doors etc? I'm serious. Surely there has to be other reasons?

Old 05-24-2007, 06:22 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,843,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
And I have never seen a Christian approach someone and be obnoxious in any way. Who would pay any attention to or want to listen to someone who is this way?
Where do you guys live that you are constantly bothered by Christians banging on your doors etc? I'm serious. Surely there has to be other reasons?

When I was a child- about 10 years old, I went to a christian summer bible school with one of my friends. I was catholic and my friend was not a member of that church but we accepted an invitation from another friend to attend. One afternoon they pastor tried to get all of the children there to be saved. The adults who were there were highly offended that my friend and I would not go to the front of the church to get saved. I told them that I was catholic and didn't want to be saved.

The took me into a room behind the pulpit and the pastor proceeded to bully me by saying that I was never going to heaven unless I let him save me. This went on for over an hour- and rather than being intimidated, I was furious.

Maybe my judgement is a bit clouded by this event- but I find it offensive to find people on my doorstep attempting to push religion on me. And I have asked these people not to return but they still come back. I know they think they are doing what's right but they have no right to step on my property and question my beliefs.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:37 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,335,185 times
Quote:
It just amazes me that so many people make statements such as they get sick of the constant proselitizing, knocks on doors etc. etc. Really? I am just amazed that this is such a huge problem for you.. . Once or month or so I may get a Jehovah's Witness ring my doorbell and I tell them I'm a Christian and they leave. . . it is a non-issue to me. And I have never seen a Christian approach someone and be obnoxious in any way. Who would pay any attention to or want to listen to someone who is this way?
It's not JW's or anyone knocking on doors. It's more like the Christian right trying to turn America into a religious state.

School prayers
Creationism in schools
Passing marriage laws against a certain group
Opposition to sex education
etc..

If Christians just went to church and left it at that, no one here would be complaining. But when Christians want to undermine the constitution and p*ss in my backyard, that's when I get upset.

Believe all the myths you want, just don't try to legislate them.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:44 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
School prayers
Creationism in schools
Passing marriage laws against a certain group
Opposition to sex education
etc..
There isn't prayer in schools.
Creationism isn't taught in the classroom.
We're not trying to pass any laws regarding marriage.(Although we are trying to prevent them from being passed.)
There is no opposition to sex education. I'm 37 and had it in the 8th grade. What are you talking about? Sex education or the watering down of morality?

Old 05-24-2007, 06:44 PM

688 posts, read 2,837,998 times
Quote:

I totally agree! I have NEVER tried to approach people this way and I don't know any other Christian who has. I have had several Jehovah's Witness come to my door before, and I've seen some out and about trying to approach people. I've also seen Mormons walking around handing out pamphlets before though. That's about it though. If someone doesn't want to believe, they won't. It's that simple. Leave it alone. God works in His own ways, if He wants to get their attention, He will! I can only do as He directs me, and I don't go around trying to force my beliefs on anyone else. But I will stand up for my own belief! I will always stand up for the Lord! Always!

Old 05-24-2007, 06:46 PM

688 posts, read 2,837,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
There isn't prayer in schools.
Creationism isn't taught in the classroom.
We're not trying to pass any laws regarding marriage.(Although we are trying to prevent them from being passed.)
There is no opposition to sex education. I'm 37 and had it in the 8th grade. What are you talking about? Sex education or the watering down of morality?

Yes, this is the way it is. I don't know where all this other stuff comes from. Maybe the media??? Who knows, I know it's not that way, so I'm ok.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:46 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
When I was a child- about 10 years old, I went to a christian summer bible school with one of my friends. I was catholic and my friend was not a member of that church but we accepted an invitation from another friend to attend. One afternoon they pastor tried to get all of the children there to be saved. The adults who were there were highly offended that my friend and I would not go to the front of the church to get saved. I told them that I was catholic and didn't want to be saved.

The took me into a room behind the pulpit and the pastor proceeded to bully me by saying that I was never going to heaven unless I let him save me. This went on for over an hour- and rather than being intimidated, I was furious.

Maybe my judgement is a bit clouded by this event- but I find it offensive to find people on my doorstep attempting to push religion on me. And I have asked these people not to return but they still come back. I know they think they are doing what's right but they have no right to step on my property and question my beliefs.
That was out of line and very much unbiblical.

As a Christian, if no one has ever apologized for this incident, I'd like to now.

That pastor was very much in the wrong. There's no excuse for it. Please don't think all Christians or all pastors are that way.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:48 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,213,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Oh no, are you coming after me?
yes Montana and we won't stop until you praise Jesus lol
do you feel threatened yet?

Old 05-24-2007, 06:52 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,635,284 times
dncngrl1964 wrote:
Quote:
yes Montana and we won't stop until you praise Jesus lol
do you feel threatened yet?
Well, you'd better pack a lunch because it's going to be a tough sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality