Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:16 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,336,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu108 View Post
Of course, if it were UP to us we would have it be this way. Just the same as if it were up to atheists it would be the way it is....so what is the point here?? Not trying to be rude, of course.
My point is that all of those examples are a clear violation of the separation of church and state, thus undermining the constitution of the United States and making America a religious state, which was my point a few pages ago.

Athiest would like to keep it as our founding fathers intended it to be. Nothing wrong with that, right?

Old 05-24-2007, 07:19 PM

688 posts, read 2,838,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
My point is that all of those examples are a clear violation of the separation of church and state, thus undermining the constitution of the United States and making America a religious state, which was my point a few pages ago.

Athiest would like to keep it as our founding fathers intended it to be. Nothing wrong with that, right?

Sure. Are you an atheist? If so, then you have it as you'd like it now. I don't see it changing in the future to reflect what us Christians believe, no matter how many extremists would go to Washington DC and march and rally, or whatever. So, I don't think it's worth debating over these things, IMO, of course.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:21 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,807,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu108 View Post
Ahhh, now now, Northsouth, you really shouldn't let it get the best of ya!
You should rejoice in the fact that as long as this goes on it is just more proving the prophesies in the Bible and makes God truer and truer all the time! Don't get p****, remember "the bandwagon" that I had posted about in another thread?? Oh, that reminds me, I posted my very, very long testimony in the other thread and I hope you read it, I know you were struggling....so I hope you find peace with what you're going through. Word of advice, don't read the controversial/debative posts for a while, that is just my suggestion sweetie. God Bless and have a good nights sleep!
*Hugs*
LuLu
Thanks, LuLu...you're the best!! Sorry, I think I popped a blood vessel!! You are sooo right - I need to go read your testimony and the bandwagon thingie and then off to "Fluffyland". And I'm going to "tank God for you" as the little Irishman would say that I work with, and pray for the other vessel poppers.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Actually having just gone through this I know my hormonally challenged brain is accurate here.

What was taught this year in my son's school (and obviously the older classes got into more detail) was all the biology to the 5th graders and 6th graders and what changes their bodies would be going through. All the biology, emotions, hormones, the possiblility of STD's, oral sex, anal sex, intercourse, pregnancy and birth control. All predicated by the fact that of course you are all to young to do this and God would rather you not (and I don't know anyone who wouldn't agree that middle schoolers are too young even if you don't believe in God) so that abstinence is not only preferred but will protect you against all the other stuff. Oh and they taught it co-ed, which I have to say A LOT of parents were mad at. I thought it was actually quite progressive.
Progressive indeed. Is this Catholic school?

Old 05-24-2007, 07:23 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,900,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Left up to them there would be prayer in schools, creationism would be taught in the classroom.

Preventing laws that would give all humans the same right to marry and endorsing a constitutional amendment that would prevent those rights.

I don't remember saying there wasn't any sex education. But Christians would prefer abstinence education over comprehensive sex education.
I just didn't see your point in your post, I guess this helps.

And of course your right in every single one of your points. But 'wishful thinking' is just that. This religion you guys despise is our lifestyle. Well, mine anyway.

Honestly, PHM, I know you don't understand that but it's true. Christianity is not what I am about....it's who I am.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 05-24-2007 at 08:37 PM..

Old 05-24-2007, 07:23 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,025,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
It just amazes me that so many people make statements such as they get sick of the constant proselitizing, knocks on doors etc. etc. Really? I am just amazed that this is such a huge problem for you.. . Once or month or so I may get a Jehovah's Witness ring my doorbell and I tell them I'm a Christian and they leave. . . it is a non-issue to me. And I have never seen a Christian approach someone and be obnoxious in any way. Who would pay any attention to or want to listen to someone who is this way?
Where do you guys live that you are constantly bothered by Christians banging on your doors etc? I'm serious. Surely there has to be other reasons?
I never said they were banging on my door, and if they did, I probably wouldn't open (or politely say "no solicitors please")... the proselytizing I was referring to is more subtle, but still pumps through the veins of this entire country. It's hard to explain to a non-Christian, but it's practically a daily thing - even here in San Francisco, and even when I'm not on this message board.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:33 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,057,982 times
I have to back up PHM and others here in saying it definitely does feel like a constant threat, not the morals themselves, but the pure domination of Christianity over society, leaving NO breathing room for anyone else. I know we're all supposed to see Christianity as this gentle loving accepting thing but it's hard when the religion is jammed down our throats everywhere we turn. And the smiles turn SO quickly to anger as soon as one disagrees. It feels...insidious. Wrong. It does NOT feel like loving gentle kindness. It feels like domination and constant indictment that everyone is wrong (gays are wrong...unmarrieds are wrong...oh, never mind, you all know the usual list). You guys are already a majority. A huge majority. How come that isn't enough?

The problem is that Christians don't just live as they want but leave everyone else alone. Instead, the goal is to get everyone ELSE to live as they do. And it's constant. Constant pushing. The prostyletizing thing ("but Jesus TOLD us to do this"). The constant push, push, push to try to keep things to the right...ALL the FLARKin' TIME.

It feels like domination and angry insistence...not gentle love. If you're wondering why "more" (more??????????????) people don't want to "turn" Christian...maybe that's why. Food for thought, I hope.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I just didn't see your point in your post, I guess this helps.

And of course your right in every single one of your posts. But 'wishful thinking' is just that. This religion you guys despise is our lifestyle. Well, mine anyway.

Honestly, PHM, I know you don't understand that but it's true. Christianity is not what I am about....it's who I am.
And that's cool, Alpha.

I don't despise the believers. I don't understand why someone would believe, but I don't hate anyone for it.

You can be a Christian, but the Christian right are political organizations, and religion and politics should never mix. At least not here in America.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:20 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,305,136 times
What a funny presumption...I am not threatened at all...in fact I often feel sorry for you guys since I feel your being led down the garden path but you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink...

Old 05-24-2007, 08:43 PM

23,025 posts, read 34,423,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I often feel sorry for you guys since I feel your being led down the garden path but you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink...
Yea, I guess you do know how we feel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality