Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 06:53 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
There isn't prayer in schools.
Creationism isn't taught in the classroom.
We're not trying to pass any laws regarding marriage.(Although we are trying to prevent them from being passed.)
There is no opposition to sex education. I'm 37 and had it in the 8th grade. What are you talking about? Sex education or the watering down of morality?
As far as I know they don't teach creationism in school, not even at my son's school and he's in Catholic school.

I don't agree with banning laws to enable gay marriage, but I do believe if it's put to a public vote in the right of majority rules.

My son got sex education this year (in Catholic school) and he's in 5th grade.

Ok there is prayer in his school, but that's why I pay to send him there.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:53 PM

688 posts, read 2,835,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
When I was a child- about 10 years old, I went to a christian summer bible school with one of my friends. I was catholic and my friend was not a member of that church but we accepted an invitation from another friend to attend. One afternoon they pastor tried to get all of the children there to be saved. The adults who were there were highly offended that my friend and I would not go to the front of the church to get saved. I told them that I was catholic and didn't want to be saved.

The took me into a room behind the pulpit and the pastor proceeded to bully me by saying that I was never going to heaven unless I let him save me. This went on for over an hour- and rather than being intimidated, I was furious.

Maybe my judgement is a bit clouded by this event- but I find it offensive to find people on my doorstep attempting to push religion on me. And I have asked these people not to return but they still come back. I know they think they are doing what's right but they have no right to step on my property and question my beliefs.

Wow! That is a terrible thing to happen to a 10 year old! That wasn't right. I can see as to how you would have a negative view of it then. However, not all are like this, I know it's probably hard for you to grasp onto that, but really it's true. The church I attend would never function this way. What you described sounds to me like what others here are calling the "extremists". I happen to think, IMOO, that there are "extremists" in everything though, so we cannot put the labels on the entire population of that particular group.

The only group I know of that goes around and knocks on people's doors are JW's. They can come off as Christian folk. They do read to you scriptures of their choosing out of the Bible. The way you describe it, definitely sounds like them to me. Just my opinion though.

LuLu

Old 05-24-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu108 View Post
Wow! That is a terrible thing to happen to a 10 year old! That wasn't right. I can see as to how you would have a negative view of it then. However, not all are like this, I know it's probably hard for you to grasp onto that, but really it's true. The church I attend would never function this way.

The only group I know of that goes around and knocks on people's doors are JW's. They can come off as Christian folk. They do read to you scriptures of their choosing out of the Bible. The way you describe it, definitely sounds like them to me. Just my opinion though.

LuLu
I agree that 1) that was a horrible experience and 2) not all are like that. But I have to say I have had similar experiences through the years with those types of Christians....so they are not rare either.

As a matter of fact there are several fundementalist churchs that go door to door in my neighborhood frequently, as in every week or two...the Johovah Witness' only come around twice a year. So again, not all are like that but enough are to leave a bad taste in one's mouth to say the least.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:57 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,028 times
Quote:
Left up to them there would be prayer in schools, creationism would be taught in the classroom.

Quote:
We're not trying to pass any laws regarding marriage.(Although we are trying to prevent them from being passed.)
Preventing laws that would give all humans the same right to marry and endorsing a constitutional amendment that would prevent those rights.

Quote:
There is no opposition to sex education. I'm 37 and had it in the 8th grade. What are you talking about? Sex education or the watering down of morality
I don't remember saying there wasn't any sex education. But Christians would prefer abstinence education over comprehensive sex education.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:03 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,836,214 times
Thank you Alpha and everyone else who understands that this was wrong. It's not something that I dwell on----- and I have some very good friends who are christian and would never do something like that.

I don't want anyone to think that I hold all Christians in low regard....it's just the intolerant and unaccepting group that I'm not crazy about.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:04 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,792,660 times
Quote:
There is no opposition to sex education. I'm 37 and had it in the 8th grade. What are you talking about? Sex education or the watering down of morality?
Amen, Sir Alpha. I couldn't feel more less like arguing about this. But Lord help me when I saw the "there isn't prayer in schools" thing. That's exactly right......THANKS TO A VERY EVIL ATHEIST WOMAN WHO KNOCKED DOWN DOORS, WENT TO COURT AND KEPT CAUSING SO MUCH HARM AND CHAOS THAT SHE EVENTUALLY JUST DISAPPEARED INTO THIN AIR, LATER TO BE FOUND MURDERED BY ANOTHER ATHEIST!!!! I think we have plenty of reason to beware of atheists...you like to portray yourselves as so intellectually superior because science is your god...All you are doing is planting seeds for satan, and some of you quite blatantly. You are scary...the worst kind. Okay, headache and going to bed. I'm p*****.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
I don't remember saying there wasn't any sex education. But Christians would prefer abstinence education over comprehensive sex education.
Actually having just gone through this I know my hormonally challenged brain is accurate here.

What was taught this year in my son's school (and obviously the older classes got into more detail) was all the biology to the 5th graders and 6th graders and what changes their bodies would be going through. All the biology, emotions, hormones, the possiblility of STD's, oral sex, anal sex, intercourse, pregnancy and birth control. All predicated by the fact that of course you are all to young to do this and God would rather you not (and I don't know anyone who wouldn't agree that middle schoolers are too young even if you don't believe in God) so that abstinence is not only preferred but will protect you against all the other stuff. Oh and they taught it co-ed, which I have to say A LOT of parents were mad at. I thought it was actually quite progressive.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Left up to them there would be prayer in schools, creationism would be taught in the classroom.

Preventing laws that would give all humans the same right to marry and endorsing a constitutional amendment that would prevent those rights.

Of course, if it were UP to us we would have it be this way. Just the same as if it were up to atheists it would be the way it is....so what is the point here?? Not trying to be rude, of course.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:10 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Amen, Sir Alpha. I couldn't feel more less like arguing about this. But Lord help me when I saw the "there isn't prayer in schools" thing. That's exactly right......THANKS TO A VERY EVIL ATHEIST WOMAN WHO KNOCKED DOWN DOORS, WENT TO COURT AND KEPT CAUSING SO MUCH HARM AND CHAOS THAT SHE EVENTUALLY JUST DISAPPEARED INTO THIN AIR, LATER TO BE FOUND MURDERED BY ANOTHER ATHEIST!!!! I think we have plenty of reason to beware of atheists...you like to portray yourselves as so intellectually superior because science is your god...All you are doing is planting seeds for satan, and some of you quite blatantly. You are scary...the worst kind. Okay, headache and going to bed. I'm p*****.
And here emerges the face of Christianity. Thank you, Northsouth. You say it better than any of us atheist.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post

Ahhh, now now, Northsouth, you really shouldn't let it get the best of ya!
You should rejoice in the fact that as long as this goes on it is just more proving the prophesies in the Bible and makes God truer and truer all the time! Don't get p****, remember "the bandwagon" that I had posted about in another thread?? Oh, that reminds me, I posted my very, very long testimony in the other thread and I hope you read it, I know you were struggling....so I hope you find peace with what you're going through. Word of advice, don't read the controversial/debative posts for a while, that is just my suggestion sweetie. God Bless and have a good nights sleep!
*Hugs*
LuLu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality