Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:56 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,897,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Sorry to hear that. I'm involved with Plantinga at the moment and I was hoping someone else had time to spend checking varves and polystrates.
Not me bro. I'm at the time of life when one realises that, discussing anything with people who believe that every creature, present and past, fitted into a small boat and survived a global flood...is a futile exercise. Especially when they display as much arrogance as Calypsis4...ummm, I mean Kirkwhisper.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 AM

218 posts, read 398,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Not me bro. I'm at the time of life when one realises that, discussing anything with people who believe that every creature, present and past, fitted into a small boat and survived a global flood...is a futile exercise. Especially when they display as much arrogance as Calypsis4...ummm, I mean Kirkwhisper.

"...that every creature, present and past, fitted into a small boat and survived a global flood...is a futile exercise"

And they call us ignorant Bible thumpers.

Would someone like to lead this poor fellow by the hand and show him just what Noah took on to the ark with him?

Hint: Genesis 7.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:15 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,132,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkwhisper View Post
"...that every creature, present and past, fitted into a small boat and survived a global flood...is a futile exercise"

And they call us ignorant Bible thumpers.

Would someone like to lead this poor fellow by the hand and show him just what Noah took on to the ark with him?

Hint: Genesis 7.
Well, Genesis 7:15-16 says explicitly "Pairs of all creatures that have the breath of life in them came to Noah and entered the ark. The animals going in were male and female of every living thing, as God had commanded Noah."

So what are you trying to say? Rafius is correct.

Including his remark about arrogance.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:12 PM

218 posts, read 398,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
My eyes did not miss the word "pairs." But that's not what you railed against Rafius about. You accused him of being ignorant because - as you highlighted in your quote of his - he mentioned every creature was supposedly aboard the ark. And somehow you had some crazy meltdown that he was mis-interpreting Genesis.

It appears that you have no intention of being honest in this matter.

NO ONE, including the orthodox Jews, ever believed that Noah took all the animals Raifus mentioned aboard the ark. Why he would even suggest such a thing is either outright dishonesty or pure ignorance; but it's one or the other.

Your answer makes no sense whatsoever.

Baloney. I am weary of your dishonesty...and his.

Oh, and go ahead and ignore me if you like. That just means I can counter everything you claim without being burdened by your own ignorant - and colossally arrogant - rants.

You got it, Jack. You're gone.

BTW, did you know pride was one of the seven deadly sins?

That's your problem. You and your foolish comrade make obvious mistakes and you won't own up to it.
Bye.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:30 PM

I'd love to see your "ignore" list. It must be increasingly filled with people you can't tolerate because they disagree with your belief system. No logic can dissuade you from your path of righteousness. No reasoning can alter your credulousness.

This is not the way, the truth, and the life of the C-D forums, whose purpose is to give glory to the lord of discourse. Every knee shall bend at your Second Banning from these forums.

Quote:
My eyes did not miss the word "pairs." But that's not what you railed against Rafius about. You accused him of being ignorant because - as you highlighted in your quote of his - he mentioned every creature was supposedly aboard the ark. And somehow you had some crazy meltdown that he was mis-interpreting Genesis.

It appears that you have no intention of being honest in this matter.

NO ONE, including the orthodox Jews, ever believed that Noah took all the animals Raifus mentioned aboard the ark. Why he would even suggest such a thing is either outright dishonesty or pure ignorance; but it's one or the other.

Your answer makes no sense whatsoever.

Baloney. I am weary of your dishonesty...and his.

Oh, and go ahead and ignore me if you like. That just means I can counter everything you claim without being burdened by your own ignorant - and colossally arrogant - rants.

You got it, Jack. You're gone.

BTW, did you know pride was one of the seven deadly sins?

That's your problem. You and your foolish comrade make obvious mistakes and you won't own up to it.Bye.
Now everyone, On With the Show!

Old 02-04-2010, 02:18 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,658,561 times
Quote:
NO ONE, including the orthodox Jews, ever believed that Noah took all the animals Raifus mentioned aboard the ark.
I think it's safe to conclude that no dinosaurs and the like were aboard, considering none existed at the time. Or do you think they did exist and were loaded on the Ark as well, then died out later?

Regardless, pairs of animals representing all living animals would have been taken aboard. Representatives of the "unclean" animals were brought on in single pairs, male and female (2 reps per animal). Representatives of the "clean" animals were brought on in groups of 7 pairs, male and female (14 reps per animal).

The total number of each kind that lived on the planet at that point in time would still have been a profoundly huge number. Add to that, 14 for each "clean" animal and 2 for each "unclean" animal, and you have a mind-staggering number of individual animals, all supposedly loaded in the Ark and housed in stalls or cages. Let's not forget that food and water would be essential and would need to be stored for the confinement of every animal aboard, not to mention the 8 humans, for about a year before they were released. That takes up a lot more space.

Setting aside exactly how the animals got to the Ark in the first place, considering the specified dimensions (as biblically recorded) of the craft, do you seriously think the 3-leveled Ark would be more than adequate to handle all that? It seems like it would have to have been at least nearly the size of a floating city, if not larger.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:53 PM

No one seems to have mentioned the other obvious reasons why the "world-wide" flood is nothing more than a moral tale.

If the entire world was covered by water, it was saltwater. Had to be, since it mixed with all the oceans of the planet. Every single body of freshwater on this planet must at least have salt deposits associated with them.

They don't. Where's all the salt? Indeed, where is the consistent, world-wide salt layer in the geologic record?

Secondly, if the earth were covered with water to the height of Everest, that means there was once nearly one billion cubic miles of water in addition to the existing 333 million cubic miles of water on Earth today.

The Earth is a closed hydrologic system. 75% of the water disappeared. Where did the water go? (BTW, the 333 million cubic-mile figure includes existing groundwater, so the flood-worshippers can't resort to saying it went underground.)

Last edited by Astron1000; 02-04-2010 at 03:06 PM..

Old 02-04-2010, 03:33 PM

33,601 posts, read 37,242,647 times
Tell me Kirk, how did the animals survive once the "flood" subsided and they were released from the ark? What did they eat, seeing that all vegetation would have been dead? What did the carnivores eat? Demonstrate why the whole flood story is not preposterous and impossible.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:05 PM

The Palestrina Mosaic depicts a monitor lizard, common along the Nile. Yes, it's stylized, but so are the people in the mosaic, unless you are arguing that the "dinosaur" is rendered accurately but somehow the people in the same mosaic aren't??? (BTW this "dinosaur does not resemble any known species.) The name next to the image in the mosaic is Krokodilopardalis, which means "crocodile-leopard."

Oh, and I love how your picture has an altered stegosaurus skeleton next to it that only has 6 plates on its back, just like the carving. Convincing, yes? Too bad, but No. Stegosaurs had from 12-24 plates along its back.

The infamous "Stegosaur" of Angkor Wat is a modern fake, as the article in the Smithsonian argues. There are no tail spikes, the head is wrong, Stegosaurs didn't have horns, etc. Furthermore, the carving only recently appeared after a restoration of the temple, and the block its carved from is the wrong color from the rest of the column. It's a hoax.

And don't even try to bring up the Mesopotamian cylinders depicting "apatosaurs!" They are serpopards:

Last edited by Astron1000; 02-04-2010 at 04:16 PM..

Old 02-04-2010, 04:18 PM

8,002 posts, read 12,309,709 times
Closed Pending Moderation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality