Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 07:25 PM

253 posts, read 794,781 times

Advertisements

my cousins are JWs and they asked me to start going to their congregation with them. i would feel bad if i said no so i went ahead and told them i would go. i'm moving in 3 months anyway so what the heck. i personally don't believe in anything that their religion teaches nor am i even religious. i just figured i would humor them the last few months i'm here. so my questions: what do you think of JWs? and has anyone else done something similar to what i am doing just to please family or friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 07:33 PM

79 posts, read 99,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post
my cousins are JWs and they asked me to start going to their congregation with them. i would feel bad if i said no so i went ahead and told them i would go. i'm moving in 3 months anyway so what the heck. i personally don't believe in anything that their religion teaches nor am i even religious. i just figured i would humor them the last few months i'm here. so my questions: what do you think of JWs? and has anyone else done something similar to what i am doing just to please family or friends?
While I don't agree with their beliefs, I think they are very nice people who are dedicated to their faith.

Never attended one of their services.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:43 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,566,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post
Why do they want you to go to their meetings? Have you asked them? You need to be very clear about the purpose before even moving a muscle.

And then stay where you are!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:49 PM

312 posts, read 867,620 times
Your cousins must be important to you, important enough that you want to spare their feelings.

Why not try to see what it's about while you are there.

You may actually come away with the realization of how little they have in common with other "religions" who claim to go by the Bible- but really do not. You may notice differences in a lot of areas.

If nothing else, it may just give you another perspective on your cousins- why they do what they do and why they feel so strongly about it.

You are under no obligation to convert just because you are attending meetings and getting information. That is okay and you will be welcomed!

You may come away with a new found respect for what your cousins believe and what they do- whether or not you yourself choose to do it.

Good for you! It is a great opportunity.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:13 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,092 times
I have no respect for any group that goes around and tries to talk people out of their beliefs.
Many consider them to be a cult, based on my experiences with them I think they have a valid point about JWs being a cult.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:16 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
I have no respect for any group that goes around and tries to talk people out of their beliefs.
Many consider them to be a cult, based on my experiences with them I think they have a valid point about JWs being a cult.
I find that people who use the word "cult" to describe a religion they disapprove of are generally pretty uninformed. I try to reserve the use of the word "cult" to describe true cults like Jim Jones and the People's Temple.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:17 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireoftheCovenant View Post
While I don't agree with their beliefs, I think they are very nice people who are dedicated to their faith.

Never attended one of their services.
You sound like a nice person, Fire, and one who is secure in his own beliefs.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:31 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,566,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I find that people who use the word "cult" to describe a religion they disapprove of are generally pretty uninformed. I try to reserve the use of the word "cult" to describe true cults like Jim Jones and the People's Temple.
The word 'cult' can be usefully applied to a belief that one particular organisation provides the one true path to spiritual truth.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 5,950 times
Hi read the bible an you will see that like 5 or more religions are confuse about what they teach. I'm not religious at all.but I read the bible an like to follow it. Do this go to your room get on your knees. an ask the maker of heaven an earth to show you the way to hem. An if it don't work I'll pay you ca$h

Old 03-01-2010, 09:53 AM

312 posts, read 867,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post

Really, they are not trying to talk you out of your beliefs but to reason from the Scriptures.

Many people don't see how the Bible can be a practical guide for us today. We try to show that it really is.

As far as being a cult- yeah, we get that a lot. But a cult is a group that follows one person. So if following Jehovah God makes us a cult... well, I guess I am okay with that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality