Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 02:47 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times

Advertisements

In Genesis 3-16, God gets really upset with Eve for eating the fruit and making Adam also take a bite, and he:

1. makes her (and all that follow her) have very painful childbirths.

2. proclaims that her husband shall rule over her. We know how some religions that interpret this literally use it to restrict women.

Do you think the punishment fits the crime for what she did? Does it show a lot of mercy and compassion, just because she and her mate ate a piece of fruit they weren't supposed to and gained some new insights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 02:50 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
It's odd because mammals, in general, have painful childbrith. Having worked cattle ranches as a youth, you could tell those cows were not having a good time while calfing. It seems as if god's curse extended to all female mammals....or may be that's just the way things are for mammals and no "curse" involved.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:54 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
To me, the Adam & Eve myth, along with the 'curses' of womanhood, represent a knee-jerk reaction to a world where goddess worship/the Divine Feminine had been commonplace.

In short, it reeks of insecurity on the part of men.

I wonder - just how many of the world's paternalistic faiths also support polygamy for males?

Old 03-01-2010, 03:00 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,675 times
Of course it wasn't fair. This is the Old Testament God we're talking about here. What would you expect from such a cruel and despicable being? Painful childbirths are fairly tame when compared to some of his other OT greatest hits.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:01 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
It's odd because mammals, in general, have painful childbrith. Having worked cattle ranches as a youth, you could tell those cows were not having a good time while calfing. It seems as if god's curse extended to all female mammals.

In the world of reality, childbirth is a painful thing, trying to expel a youngster through the reproductive canal. But in the world of religion, telling women that they are cursed to painful childbirths because of what Eve did and how it ticked off God royally just seems over-the-top to me.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
In the world of reality, childbirth is a painful thing, trying to expel a youngster through the reproductive canal. But in the world of religion, telling women that they are cursed to painful childbirths because of what Eve did and how it ticked off God royally just seems over-the-top to me.
But of course and that was my point. Whether the writers of Genesis had to simply find a way to explain why childbirth is painful or they simply used that as an excuse to subjugate women is debatable. For people to actually believe the religious reasoning for it is to ignore mammilian biology.

Last edited by Fullback32; 03-01-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 03-01-2010, 03:04 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
In Genesis 3-16, God gets really upset with Eve for eating the fruit and making Adam also take a bite, and he:

1. makes her (and all that follow her) have very painful childbirths.

2. proclaims that her husband shall rule over her. We know how some religions that interpret this literally use it to restrict women.

Do you think the punishment fits the crime for what she did? Does it show a lot of mercy and compassion, just because she and her mate ate a piece of fruit they weren't supposed to and gained some new insights?
I don't think it's smart to question God's word & intent.........do you?

Old 03-01-2010, 03:06 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Well I guess it's a good thing we're not talking about God's word, now isn't it?

Old 03-01-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

Been doing it for as long as I can remember and I'm still here...no lighting bolts. Ya know, not every culture subscribes to this thought. There are many matriarchal cultures. For example, the Iroquois (Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga, Mohawk, Seneca) are a matriarchal society. In the Iroquois community, women are the keepers of culture. They are responsible for defining the political, social, spiritual and economic norms of the tribe. Iroquois society is matrilineal, meaning descent was traced through the mother rather than through the father. Also, when a couple marries, the man traditionally went to live with the wife's family. Although the leaders were men, it was the Clan Mothers who nominated and elected them, and could remove them from their position. The women made sure the male leadership fulfilled their responsibilities. Iroquois women enjoyed social equality and respect.

In other Indian tribes such as the Creek, the women owned all the property. The wigwam was hers and she could tell her husband to "get out and don't take anything with you" at any time.

So, since these nations had no knowledge of biblical ideas concerning mens' and womens' roles, were they questioning god?

Even in my tribe (Comanche), though we are patriarchal, our women are hardly subjugated to us. They are seen as equals and are highly respected. The whole concept such as Paul described 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 is foreign to us.

"Let the women keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is a disgrace for a woman to speak in church."

I personally dare anyone to attempt to keep a Comanche woman from speaking her mind!

Old 03-01-2010, 03:50 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Been doing it for as long as I can remember and I'm still here...no lighting bolts. Ya know, not every culture subscribes to this thought. There are many matriarchal cultures. For example, the Iroquois (Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga, Mohawk, Seneca) are a matriarchal society. In the Iroquois community, women are the keepers of culture. They are responsible for defining the political, social, spiritual and economic norms of the tribe. Iroquois society is matrilineal, meaning descent was traced through the mother rather than through the father. Also, when a couple marries, the man traditionally went to live with the wife's family. Although the leaders were men, it was the Clan Mothers who nominated and elected them, and could remove them from their position. The women made sure the male leadership fulfilled their responsibilities. Iroquois women enjoyed social equality and respect.

In other Indian tribes such as the Creek, the women owned all the property. The wigwam was hers and she could tell her husband to "get out and don't take anything with you" at any time.

So, since these nations had no knowledge of biblical ideas concerning mens' and womens' roles, were they questioning god?

Even in my tribe (Comanche), though we are patriarchal, our women are hardly subjugated to us. They are seen as equals and are highly respected. The whole concept such as Paul described 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 is foreign to us.

"Let the women keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is a disgrace for a woman to speak in church."

I personally dare anyone to attempt to keep a Comanche woman from speaking her mind!
Or some Scottish/German women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality