Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 05:27 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The fact that our appearance on this planet was the result of mere happenstance doesn't erase the fact that virtually every being is hardwired to cling to life even in the absence of conscious reasoning. For social sentient beings, on the most basic level, morality is inextricably intertwined with our survival. Without morality, a basic code of conduct, society would collapse and our survival along with it. Having said that, as higher forms of life, issues of morality can rise above simple issues of survival and can encompass a wide spectrum of social interactions which can give greater meaning to our existence.
I thought I was pretty clear with that idea, but thank you for doing more to help along what I'm trying to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 07:16 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Because:
"If we accept that there is a raison d'etre for human life we can extract them from the panoply of human existence.... The basics are written in the entirety of recorded human experience which provides more than sufficient exemplars of the truly good and constructively edifying to life as well as the truly evil and wholly destructive to life."
The fact that our appearance on this planet was the result of mere happenstance doesn't erase the fact that virtually every being is hardwired to cling to life even in the absence of conscious reasoning. For social sentient beings, on the most basic level, morality is inextricably intertwined with our survival. Without morality, a basic code of conduct, society would collapse and our survival along with it. Having said that, as higher forms of life, issues of morality can rise above simple issues of survival and can encompass a wide spectrum of social interactions which can give greater meaning to our existence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
I thought I was pretty clear with that idea, but thank you for doing more to help along what I'm trying to say.
Your survival rationale is absurd on its face. Why should it matter if an accident survives or not? You both still remove the context of my "IF" statement and misunderstand that IT is the only thing that justifies ANY of the greater meaning to our existence. Under your view any "greater meaning" is pure BS and delusions of grandeur. It is a pathetic attempt to assign meaning to a meaningless accident.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your survival rationale is absurd on its face. Why should it matter if an accident survives or not? You both still remove the context of my "IF" statement and misunderstand that IT is the only thing that justifies ANY of the greater meaning to our existence. Under your view any "greater meaning" is pure BS and delusions of grandeur. It is a pathetic attempt to assign meaning to a meaningless accident.
Matter to who? Humans very much care if they survive.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Matter to who? Humans very much care if they survive.
You and ovcatto keep repeating the obvious and ignoring my requests to justify your rationale for the existence of morality and meaning using your vaunted reason and logic. IF humans are cosmic accidents with no reason to be alive . . . why does it matter that they desire to stay alive? Logically? How do you logically assign meaning to a meaningless existence? The issue is not that we do it . . . the issues is under your view . . . SO WHAT?

Old 03-31-2010, 08:29 PM

271 posts, read 394,008 times
The other morning, I stubbed my toe on the sidewalk, while retrieving the newspaper. An accident that came out of nowhere. Ripped a gash into my big toe pretty deep, didn't have to happen ,but it did, so instead of letting it just go untreated and maybe get infected, I went back inside and put some ointment and a bandaid over it. In conclusion, even though it happened by mere chance, I decided to treat it, in order that I might continue on.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
You and ovcatto keep repeating the obvious and ignoring my requests to justify your rationale for the existence of morality and meaning using your vaunted reason and logic. IF humans are cosmic accidents with no reason to be alive . . . why does it matter that they desire to stay alive? Logically? How do you logically assign meaning to a meaningless existence? The issue is not that we do it . . . the issues is under your view . . . SO WHAT?
You sound like a creationist. The desire to survive has nothing to do with our morality.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:57 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Your survival rationale is absurd on its face.
The only absurdity is someone trying to argue against the most obvious instincts of both men and beast. Even a dumb as a doorknob insect runs when it perceives a threat.

Quote:
Why should it matter if an accident survives or not?
To live, dude, to live.

Quote:
You both still remove the context of my "IF" statement and misunderstand that IT is the only thing that justifies ANY of the greater meaning to our existence.
We satisfied the If, so there was any misunderstanding or lifting your quote out of context. Deal with it.

Quote:
Under your view any "greater meaning" is pure BS and delusions of grandeur. It is a pathetic attempt to assign meaning to a meaningless accident.
Ad homineum attacks, the last refuge of a desperate argument.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
The only absurdity is someone trying to argue against the most obvious instincts of both men and beast. Even a dumb as a doorknob insect runs when it perceives a threat.
To live, dude, to live.
We satisfied the If, so there was any misunderstanding or lifting your quote out of context. Deal with it.
You have not and cannot . . . which is the reason for all the ducking and dodging.
Quote:
Quote:
Under your view any "greater meaning" is pure BS and delusions of grandeur. It is a pathetic attempt to assign meaning to a meaningless accident.
Ad homineum attacks, the last refuge of a desperate argument.
It takes real talent to see an ad hominem (to the MAN) attack that only references your views . . . not you. A little education in the real basis of the logical fallacies seems in order. And you STILL have not addressed the core assertions . . . your position is a pathetic attempt to assign meaning to a meaningless accident. On WHAT LOGICAL BASIS USING REASON (the claim of this thread) do you accomplish the preceding?

Old 03-31-2010, 09:57 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
You have not and cannot . . . which is the reason for all the ducking and dodging.It takes real talent to see an ad hominem (to the MAN) attack that only references your views . . . not you. A little education in the real basis of the logical fallacies seems in order. And you STILL have not addressed the core assertions . . . your position is a pathetic attempt to assign meaning to a meaningless accident. On WHAT LOGICAL BASIS USING REASON (the claim of this thread) do you accomplish the preceding?
Bold fonts, all caps... tsk, tsk, tsk.

No one has ducked or dodged your question, you just don't like the answers.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Bold fonts, all caps... tsk, tsk, tsk.
No one has ducked or dodged your question, you just don't like the answers.
I figured it couldn't hurt to make it easier to read . . . in case you had some disability in that regard. But you apparently cannot even identify what is an answer and what is a dodge. It is YOUR thread and YOUR PREMISE . . . so show me your logic and reason that produces meaning from a meaningless existence, morality (right or wrong) in a completely purposeless and accidental existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality