Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 05:37 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,695,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Don't get your panties in a wad, they are for other purposes, sorry the obvious eluded your perception
Same to you.

MOF, at first I found the "mock Deities" to be amusing. But now I see the true disrespect they represent.

OTOH...the "Pastafarians" sometimes show up at the Westboro Bap protests to foil their sick/twisted mission....and for that I thank them.

Creator God...COOL! Message of "love each other" passed down in the legend of the man known as Jesus the Christ...COOL! Organized/Denominational Religion...Not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 05:58 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,916,618 times
is there any real proof OUT THERE that their is no God

Ya got it backwards there bubba, the religions are saying there is a god, we (us atheists) just don't believe them.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:05 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,241,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
the way i see it mate is that it goes both ways-you cant use it to prove their is and you cant you's it to prove their is'nt
Guess we'll all find out for sure shortly after we take that final breath.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:11 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,241,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
There are pink unicorns grazing in my backyard right now. It's too dark to take pictures of them, so I can't provide proof, but the are there.

They exist, prove me wrong

See how easy it is to declare something exists, and how difficult to prove it doesn't exist?
So, that's where they went!

Old 10-18-2010, 12:45 PM

367 posts, read 1,077,614 times
Just like all the other "prove there is no god" threads - the burden of proof must always be on the part that claims something exists.
Proving that something does not exist is completely pointless, as previous posters have shown with great examples - pink unicorns etc.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:34 AM

7,525 posts, read 17,041,351 times
In accordance with the way you mean god......Actually yes......either there is no god or he/she/it doesn't give a damn about us. If there were a true benevolent good god that was omniscient and omnipotent why would he/she/it allow the westboro baptist church to abuse his/her/its name and reputation so badly? Why if that were a god, would he/she/it allow the misinterpretation of his/her/its character so badly that he/she/it would allow fanatics to kill hundreds of thousands and destroy the lives of millions? Judging by the evidence found on earth, he/she/it either doesn't exist or isn't involved in the least....which is effectively the same thing.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:32 AM

271 posts, read 357,521 times
Surat At-Tur [52:32-38] - The Holy Qur'an - القرآÙ† الكريÙ…
Answer please;

Were they created by nothing, or were they themselves the creators?

Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Rather, they are not certain.

Or have they the depositories [containing the provision] of your Lord? Or are they the controllers [of them]?

Old 10-20-2010, 02:20 AM

50,147 posts, read 20,928,614 times
Have a go.

Quote:
Were they created by nothing, or were they themselves the creators?
'Nothing' makes more sense that a fully formed cognisant invisible deity, and Hawking would endorese that.

Quote:
Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Rather, they are not certain.
Indeed, nobody knows for sure, not me, not Hawking, not you, and cerainly not the chap who wrote the Quran.

Quote:
Or have they the depositories [containing the provision] of your Lord? Or are they the controllers [of them]?
If 'they' (we?) are not I fail to see who is.

Time for us to take responsibility chum and stop crediting everything to a product of human imagination.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:44 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,747,948 times
Quote:
the only arguments against God's existence ,one- people pulling out fawlty bible verses-and using that as an excuse

the other is either-species evolution theory or the big bang theory and actually this cant have any real purpose to the question-because even if these theorys were true it still dosent rule out the possibilitys of the existence of a God...infact in IMO if these theorys were true it should support the argument,..only God could have made ALL THIS WITH A BIG BANG

so please feel free to give any proof if you can or just let us hear your thoughts
Before anyone can even try to answer this question, you need to define precisely what you mean by 'God'. We cannot prove or disprove anything if we have not precisely defined our terms.

Here are a few things to consider:
1) The word 'proof' is sometimes used in everyday conversation to mean something like "convincing argument" but technically the concept of "proof" only applies to formal logical arguments. Such arguments are fairly common in mathematics, but they are very rarely found in any arguments that use natural language terms because natural language terms are extremely hard to define with the kind of precision that is required for a formal proof.

2) If you are asking for a "convincing argument" rather than a formal proof, then - depending upon you definition of 'God' - I might be able to give you one. If by 'God' you are loosely referring to an Intelligent Creator of the world, then no, I can't prove the non-existence of such a God. If, by 'God' you are referring to the specific historical conception as found in the Christian Bible, then yes, I can give convincing arguments to the conclusion that no such being exists.

3) But of course I won't be able to convince you of anything if you do not respect rational thinking. The typical Christian move, once their conception of God is show to be logically flawed is this: "Human reasoning is limited and laughable in the face of God's infinite intelligence." In other words: "Somehow my religious beliefs are still true, even though you've shown them to be logically incoherent." This is called faith. Faith is precisely that which goes beyond reason. "Proofs" of any sort are pointless when presented to the truly faithful.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:11 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,747,948 times
Quote:
yeah....life comes from life.......always has always will
If you were to say "Experience always comes from that which is potentially experiential" then I would fully agree. If by "life" you mean "experience" then I would agree with your sentence. (I believe that the "hard problem of consciousness" pushes us to accept that experience is, in some deep sense, fundamental to reality. Notice, however, that experience does not imply intelligence.)

If by "life" you are referring to the metabolic activities of complex organic systems that survive over time and reproduce themselves, then I don't agree with your sentence. We already understand many of the basic principles that can explain how organic living systems could emerge from non-living organic compounds in thermodynamic systems pushed out of equilibrium.

My guess is that you equivocate on the word 'life' so I will rephrase what I think you are saying:
"Biological metabolism always comes from an Intelligent Designer." If this is what you are saying, then I disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality