Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 11:18 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,475,571 times

Advertisements

Look at nature. You'll see God. He wants us to believe in him through faith, not by sight. We can't see him now, but we can see what he's done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 11:18 AM

457 posts, read 759,389 times
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o467/geewhizg6/popc1.gif (broken link)

Old 04-29-2010, 11:29 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,712,121 times
I look at nature and see how the earth Evolved I also see how destructive nature can be as well as how beautiful. I don't see god anywhere. Sorry, I don't need to.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
well if you dont want to think that evreything in existence has intelligent design behind it then fair enough but if you want some inner proof then go find a spiritual master and learn mantra meditation-you will see immediate effects and start understanding that you are not just a bunch of atoms but something much more sublime and are spiritually connected to all that exist's-God's names are very potent and Krishna has placed His spiritual pleasure potency in His name-

Meditation is relaxation. I see nothing spiritual about it. I have mastered yoga, I have nice abs now and I am quite relaxed as well.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:55 AM

64,132 posts, read 40,451,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Meditation is relaxation. I see nothing spiritual about it. I have mastered yoga, I have nice abs now and I am quite relaxed as well.
This suggests to me you have mastered nothing . . . just going through the motions.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This suggests to me you have mastered nothing . . . just going through the motions.
Hey if you have to have a spiritual connection in everything you do, that is your issue. Some of us dont need it.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:11 PM

64,132 posts, read 40,451,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Hey if you have to have a spiritual connection in everything you do, that is your issue. Some of us dont need it.
Been there done that . . . the physical existece has many enticements and enjoyments that are rendered even more enjoyable by disciplined physical development and control. But you are missing a much wider world available to those with the discipline to seek it.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Been there done that . . . the physical existece has many enticements and enjoyments that are rendered even more enjoyable by disciplined physical development and control. But you are missing a much wider world available to those with the discipline to seek it.
I am good, I have my friends and family to keep me company and my over all self well being in check and I have seen and will continue to see the world, next trip, Germany and my extended family and friends, then off to Sweden and Norway to see hubby's family (the pagans) always an enlightening visit. There are plenty of ways to see and appreciate the world without having to have some sort of spiritual connection.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:01 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,920,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
Look at nature. You'll see God.
OK! Let's look.

"Nearly 20.5 million people continue to reel under the impact of the floods in 20 districts of the State."
Bihar?s flood devastation: Is it nature?s fury alone?

"Even as the tally of the number of victims of cyclone SIDR continues to rise following early assessment reports by various agencies, it is also becoming obvious that the scale of its devastation is much more than just what these figures reveal."
Red Cross Red Crescent - News

Briefing: devastation in New Orleans : Nature News

There is much more of same if you want it.

Quote:
We can't see him now, but we can see what he's done.
Yep! We sure can.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:27 PM

9,496 posts, read 12,960,708 times
Default Contemplations

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
For someone who - for all intents and purposes - says there is no God, for your sake, you had better by right!

Charles
This is a tiresome and baseless threat, and it would serve you better if you didn't have to revert to it as in any way a convincing strategy. Striking fear in the illiterate is hardly ethical. If you are that fearful, it's your choice to believe. Others of us don't necessarily succumb.

Quote:
I did not take offense, but thank you for considering that. Faith is based on things unproven, yes, but I contend these things are NOT unseen!

Charles
No, but the obvious difference is in how we each choose to interpret what we see or think we see. I've often heard Christians confidently intone that, after such and such has been seen (Like a tidal wave or lightning bolt..) "There! Absolute proof of God!"

Really? Or merely proof as you sincerely hope it to be?

Quote:
The more inteligent we become, the more we become like fools. It is truly a case of not seeing the forest for the trees.

Charles
I take an alternate perspective, frankly. and it's not a case of growing intelligence, but rather in growing understanding, exposure to the real world and means of critical thinking, and of an open-minded interest in learning new things. For which, of course, there's an infinite menu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
Look at nature. You'll see God. He wants us to believe in him through faith, not by sight. We can't see him now, but we can see what he's done.
Alternately, I've had significant opportunities to view nature, unaltered by the hand of man, and I've come to an alternate conclusion after much meditation and honest comparison of various alternatives, both realistically and spiritually based.. What I've seen is clearly NOT the result of God's hand.

Quote:
Now now, Mystic. You're overlaying your own no-doubt lengthy meditative but nonetheless personal and speculative experiences and conclusions on those of others. No-one can have the same experiences nor reasoning and perspective of anyone else, unless you claim omnipotence yourself. No-one's thought processes will mimic those of others, nor be influenced by their past. No matter how mny years it may have taken you. Some have come to the truth, as they see it, in a remarkably short period of time, in fact!

Quote:
Been there done that . . . the physical existence has many enticements and enjoyments that are rendered even more enjoyable by disciplined physical development and control. But you are missing a much wider world available to those with the discipline to seek it.
Again, perhaps my physical and mental discipline and contemplation, and those of other atheists here, is in some perceivable way, more complete than what you've achieved. Or are you perhaps stating here, absolutely, that your experiences completely outdistance those with which you disagree?

Surely not...

Quick sensible answer to the OP: given the absolute lack of provable and, more importantly, incontrovertible evidence (as in no other possible alternate explanation...) of God's existence or involvement, other than obviously personal or wishful conclusions, I must come to the obvious conclusion. Especially when much of what has historically been attributed to God's Holy Hand has since been shown by simple experimentation or observation to have quite rational and logical alternate explanations.

Thus: to me, absent some evidence besides the fervent hopes or threats of believers, there obviously is no God. and I've lived completely absent any Holy input or assistance for well over 45 years since I left Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality