Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 06:13 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,790 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

If it's okay w/ the moderator, I'd like to start a new thread for the conversation currently going on another thread. I read the initial post on that thread as well as a few of the comments following it and was a little confused by some of the statements. Especially since much of the negativity was obviously based on mis-information.

Instead of putting a general 'What We Believe' paragraph here that discusses all of our theology (and can result in LENGTHY replies), I'll reply to your individual questions in turn. It's simpler that way.

Let me begin by saying that we do consider ourselves Christians and that we are an organization devoted entirely to obedience to God. We believe ourselves to be an extension of the first century Christian Congregation and we absolutely accept Christ as our savior. Worldwide, we currently have 7 million members and all of us are in agreement and consider ourselves a 'brotherhood'.

Last edited by alicenevada; 06-08-2007 at 07:05 AM..

Old 06-08-2007, 06:17 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,410 times
okay my question, Whats 1914 got to do with anything and where is that specific year at in the Bible?

Old 06-08-2007, 06:43 AM

1914 has often been considered a pinnacle year in man's history. We belive this is the year God's Kingdom was established in heaven with Christ as its king. Two lines of evidence point to this year: 1) bible chronology and 2) fulfillment of prophecy since this year.

Daniel 4:16 speaks of 'seven times' or years, in which God would allow man's own governments to rule before handing the kingdom over to his son (the greater fulfillment of the prophecy). Seven years , using the biblical means of calculating time ('a day for a year')= 2,520 years.

We believe the 'seven times' began in early October of 607 b.c.e, when the last vestige of Jewish Sovreignty was gone. Counting 2,520 years from early Oct of 607 b.c.e brings you to early Oct 1914 c.e.

Things on earth have progressively gotten worse since 1914. Revelation shows that this is because, after Christ was enthroned as king, Satan and his demons were hurled out of heaven onto the earth. He is attempting to draw as much of mankind after him as possible during his time here. The conditions of these 'last days' are foretold in the bible and will culminate in a 'great tribulation' that will eventually bring and end to this word's present system of things.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:46 AM

Things on earth have progressively gotten worse since 1914. Revelation shows that this is because, after Christ was enthroned as king, Satan and his demons were hurled out of heaven onto the earth. The conditions of these 'last days' are foretold in the bible and will culminate in a 'great tribulation' that will eventually bring and end to this word's present system of things. ..posted by Alice......So your saying satan and his demons only came to earth in 1914? os am I misreading what you are saying?

Old 06-08-2007, 06:52 AM

No, I'm saying they were cast down from heaven permanantly in that year. They were banished to earth.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:55 AM

198 posts, read 910,347 times
My mother is a JW. I just let her be. We've had countless conversations for hours. A good book to get is called The Kingdom of the Cults- unsure of the author. I like this because it has an easy reference point and specific examples between the New World Translation and various topics the JW's have contradicted themselves on. It uses only THEIR material to point out their beliefs and inconsistencies. It is worth reading. Of course, my mom has been trained that any thing that speaks against them is 'apostate literature' even when I pulled up the UN website years ago to show her that her own organization was part of the United Nations...somehow she was blind that day. But I love my mother to death and again, like I said there could be lots of other worse things she could be into so we tolerate her and several other family members in this religious 'group', if you will.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:00 AM

I see we have a complete different set of beliefs, so Im just gonna agree to diagree at this point on this question.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:04 AM

Thanks for your comments, Teach. My main problem with many religions is that their teachings contradict God's word. I made a carefuly study of Christ's teachings before deciding to stick with this organization and I feel Jehovah's Witnesses reflect the conduct of the early Christian congregation most closely.

All religions have their opposers and their 'nay-sayers', bent on proving them wrong and drawing people away . I'm not concerned about it in the least. The bible told us that this would happen. It even mentioned the friction between family members that would result. But, I personally feel I have found 'the truth' so it doesnt sway me. And I'm sure your mother feels the same way.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I see we have a complete different set of beliefs, so Im just gonna agree to diagree at this point on this question.
That's fine. I understand that most of you have your own relgions and beliefs. I'm not here to change them, just to set the record straight as to what we ourselves believe.

If there is anything you'd like further explanation on, let me know.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:26 AM

198 posts, read 910,347 times
This is an honest questions, do not be offended, but should you even be on here? This would be considered fellowship w/ non believers, unless of course you count this towards your ministry hours and you are logging the hours in as field service hours.

I dont know what teachings of Christ you studies, but I have done this as well and I do not see any alignment with Christ and the JW religion. They are one of the many religions that you speak of that contradict themselves left and right from the Russelites to now. Do the history on your organization and the true origin of Christ. Seperation and superiority do not exist in the spiritual realm, man has created this. Just ask Charles Taze Russell. Christ never changed, so why has your organization over the years. You used to celebrate Xmas, you used to donate blood, you used to predict years for the end of the world. You take apocalytic literature and intepret it literally. Read the Nag Hammadi libraries found in the Dead Sea scroll found in the 1940's- there are several books similar to Revelation because literature as that was popular at the time, and the only reason they dont exist in your Bible is because the early church chose books that would shape the face of Christianity due to power, and politics. This is the only reason why you have some books in the Bible and others that arent. I am not saying anything that you can not research for yourself.
What JW's do is prey on people who are distraught from religions, need to be spiritually fed, and indoctrinate them with tedious teachings that are false. They give them fellowship and brotherhood. It is a much more mental thing that a spritual one.
And no, I do not believe in man made religions (ALL OF THEM), I do not celebrate holidays either, and I believe in God, Jesus and all other great teachers who have walked this earth. Only when I was able to stop being brainwashed by man was I able to find true peace, knowledge and understanding. Religion was created to enhance the idea of seperation from God, to create order and keep power from the masses. Read the Gospel of St Thomas or other forgotten Bible books and you will see a very different loving Christ that the early church did not want others to see.
This is pointless.
I understand your reason for coming here. I just get so upset when people fall victim to religion and they are buried undearneath layers so deep its impossible. Simplicity and basic is the soul..so for all of your teachings and documents, it is not the point to be a scholar, but to be genuine. If you do not go within, you go without. My salvation will never lay outside of me and in the hands of an organization. And if you think Jehovah God is a conditional God and that you are the only truth when it is known that superiority and seperation, ignorance, need, etc are all illusions that man have created to deal with their apparent spirituality problem, then so be it. I will pray for you.

Last edited by Teach07; 06-08-2007 at 07:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.