Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:11 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
OR...they could conduct a modern day rendition of the Inquisitions and find the public guilty.
But the public now know they do not have the power to enforce this. They can only use the excommunication stick and they must know that only makes them look as reprehensibly medieval as muslims cutting a hand off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waken2 View Post
If this occured then over 20% of the US hospitals, which are non-profit Catholic hospitals, would have to close or find new sources of income to pay these new taxes and this could possibly mean that many people would go without medical treatment. In addition, the Catholic school system (excluding universities) educates almost 800,000 students K-12 (of which 92% go on to attend college) and these students would need to find new schools or the schools would need new sources of income to pay taxes. I think the estimated cost impact of just the education portion would be over 18 billion dollars per yer. It sounds easy to just say take away the tax exempt status of the Catholic church but the impact would be hugh and would touch all people...Catholic or otherwise.
Surely you are not saying that, if the churches had to pay tax like everyone else, they's just run out of money or close their hospitals and schools in a fit of the sulks? And surely the money paid in taxes could be used to run these establishments. Why should we effectively have a little private state with its own financial collection and payments scheme?

I saw some catholic tosser on a news programme recently say that the catholic church has to contine or civilization would collapse or some such view. This is cobblers. There would need to be some readjustment, true and it's something that has to happen gradually rather than an icon - smashing reformation, but the world won't collapse in chaos.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:53 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Perhaps you are focused too much on Europe and the U.S. Catholicism's biggest growth is elsewhere.
Well sure if you care about things like facts Mostly though this is the Internet and on Internet English-language sites "outside Europe and the US/Canada" is poorly understood. Or at least this is what I recall in my capacity as a Wikipedian.

There are roughly 446 million Mass attending Catholics. Catholic population has grown both nationally and internationally since 1975. Although as a percentage of world population it declined from 18% to 17% in the period 1985-1995. So maybe you could argue from that it would reach 0% by 2165, but that would probably be a misunderstanding of statistics.

Catholic Data, Catholic Statistics, Catholic Research

In number terms of population the Church's if there's been declining rate of growth it's likely due to a weak amount of evangelism, I'm not evangelical, and using birth control despite the faith's teaching. Although I'm not sure a large population is necessary and there might be restrictions to how much further evangelism could go. Most of the world is now aware of Catholicism and has decided whether or not they want to join it. Although that might be less true in the Muslim nations and more isolated Buddhist places like Burma or Bhutan.

Interestingly American Catholics born after 1981 seem to be less likely to "rarely or never" attend Mass than baby-boomers. This might partly be due to younger Catholics being more Hispanic. Still even the "Generation X" Catholics seem a bit more faithful than the baby-boomers. However "once a week or more" is more common for those born from 1943-60 than those born after that.

http://cara.georgetown.edu/mattend.jpg

Old 05-29-2010, 09:11 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear
With the growing problems in the Catholic Church, will it exist much longer?
I think you asked the wrong question.

Unfortunately, the catholic church will exist for quite some time, however, the Vatican may not.

If you can find it, an interesting read is The Final Conclave, by Father Malachi Martin (who was often a guest on the Art Bell Show).

It's fictional account a pope dying, a conclave is held to elect a new pope, but no pope is elected, and that's the end of the Vatican.

Anyway, it's possible, even more than likely, that the Vatican will self-destruct, but not catholicism itself.

There's no requirement to recognize the Vatican as an independent state, so all it would take is for one country to deny visas for passports issued by the Vatican and demand that those persons get a passport issued by the Italian government.

If you're into the prophecy thing, there are several prophecies that suggest that this pope, or the next, will be the last popes ever.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:05 AM

117 posts, read 144,544 times
i am a catholic and i stopped going to church for several yrs now. i dont know if i will ever be a church goer again but as i am writing this i am saying i wont be going to church anymore. i will always believe in God though. it does not help that the new pope is not as charismatic as pope paul II. i also will call myself catholic in my deathbed. right now my faith is between me and God no more church in between.

who knows if science really convince me that we ACTUALLY evolved then may be i will declare there really was no Creator after all.. as im writing this though... their discoveries just does not convince me. their evolution theory is all illustrations and scientific jargon that only people with science degree can understand. if only all scientists are as hot as emily deschanel who plays a scientist in bones tv series. she always speaks scientific terms and for once, even if i dont have any idea what she is talking about, i actually find it... VERY cool! and not boring like many posters here who use scientific terms.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:39 AM

I'm sorry if science doesn't appeal. I have to admit that I boggle at some of the more erudite stuff posted and, certainly, if it doesn't gell in head straight away there is tendency to switch off.

That said I applaud your desire to do what you feel to be the right thing rather than what you are told to do, just on someone's opinion.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:21 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,914 times
God's ability to forgive is greater than any sin. The Catholic Church has been here for almost 2000 years through upheavals that the world has never seen before or since. If the Reformation didn't kill mother Church, what makes you think the current situation is going to kill her. Jesus will protect His Church as He promised.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:26 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
of course it will not the 1st reformation. but the cover ups need to stop. and declaring bankrupsy and stiffing people on their retirement pension is shameless.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:58 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Why I wonder is even Pope Benedict is now in the crossfire of the sex abuse scandals involving priests and the coverups of same.

Especially factoring in that the Episcopal Church is quite similar in many regards to the Catholic Church............I wonder if there will be a mass exodus from the latter to the former.
A mass exodus....amazing that I can see two puns in one phrase...

(Please note that I say the following with the greatest respect; it is not my intent to be sacreligious or blaspheme the Catholic Church in any way)

The Catholic Church as we know it is dying....and I think it needs to die.

You see, Catholicism, and Christianity as a whoie, has become bloated. Power structures that were relevant five hundred or a thousand years ago are no longer relevant today, and the old methods of control and accountability no longer function.

The Church is so firmly entrenched in its own interests and well-being that it is, in my opinion, 'using' the faithful by saying 'this is how to be pious' and then barricading themselves behind a locked door. Meanwhile, they commit horrendous acts, and shuffle those responsible around hoping that nobody will notice, while hiding 'out-of-sight' in a nigh-untouchable fortress of righteousness.

In order to survive, the Church needs to die; moreover, it needs to be reborn. The old, entrenched power structures must give way to new blood, and a 'new' Church -- one that is better adapted to the flexibility of the modern world -- must rise from the ashes of the old one.

The faithful must stand up and demand better of its leadership, or the mistakes of its past will continue to be committed, through simple apathy and ignorance.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:44 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Given what it has both caused and been subjected to in the past but yet survived, it will go on a long time still. It could drop a nuke bomb on a city of orphanages and it would still survive. There will always be followers and 'true believers.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality