Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:23 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, I don't mean to be critical. I, for one, just don't have the patience and stamina I guess, to re-argue these things again over here!
Very good point!!!!! I have really lost my energy with these and now I just watch the new people come in and try to convince the same people of their faith!!! Seems when it comes down to it on here you either want to believe in Jesus or NOT, I have yet to find someone on here that has asked a Christian a WHY question really wanting to find the TRUTH in CHRIST and possibly showing they might really be interested!!

For the most part looks like more PROVE IT TO ME HE EXIST!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
An eternal existence without the presence of God is Hell.
Great point!!! Of course they won't let me give you rep points!! I am not really sure how much clearer it could have been said. Jesus said it Him self the only way to Heaven is through HIM. This might be a narrow path but it is the path we all should want to follow.

I think it would be horrible for our loved ones to not be there. I have heard my loved ones refuse Jesus so what can you do but to pray and know that God is in charge and who better to take care of us then HIM. We will be surprised by the ones who make it just watch!!!
This is the reason believers need to pray that the people they love find Jesus before they die and not after!!!

Last edited by wildberries61; 06-12-2007 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: added added

Old 06-12-2007, 08:47 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,488 times
Even though there are different opinions reflected here regarding the afterlife, I think the best thing we can do now, in this life, is to live in a way that reflects Christ and to pray unceasingly for our loved ones and friends. After that, its up to them and the Lord.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:49 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,545 times
Default *Sigh*

Quote:
Judgmental?

You've said that our way of thinking is illogical, unbiblical, a 'perverted fantasy', and I think I saw somewhere you referred to it as 'a load of bull' and I'm being judgmental???

Gee kettle, you sure are black!

I've said my peace, Jeff. This is pretty typical. You debate issues with someone and when you disagree, you're being judgmental.
Alpha...I do indeed think that "your way of thinking" is illogical ect, but I've never doubted your personal walk with God. Unlike the following...

Quote:
Well when you return, I'd like for you to explain to me exactly how anyone would be led astray by a message that you consider perverted and that teaches eternal punishmnet. You really think people would be led astray by such a message? I doubt it. I think I smell the sarcasm....but at least you answered EXACTLY like I thought you would.
It's interesting to me how many times you've made your point and then had to stress that, in spite of your posts, you're a Christian. I think it's equally interesting that based on the responses in your Christian Universalism thread, you and the atheists, anti-theists, and agnostics were all in agreement.
I have never doubted your walk with God, or alluded to such. Yes, I have doubted your belief system, simply because I was raised to believe exactly as you do, and have moved beyond it. But because I did so, you saw fit to question, in so many words, whether or not I am really a Christian, and if I am, that I am agreed with by those who are not, so therefore must not be a "good" Christian. Do you see the difference, and see why I felt "judged"? If you disagree with my beliefs, that's fine, but do not question what is in my heart, which is what I feel you just did.

Also, I have answered your questions, and see that instead of responding to THAT, you have instead jumped up and down on being called black by the kettle.

Last edited by jeffncandace; 06-12-2007 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-12-2007, 09:02 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Jeff, you made a good point back there about how these irreconcilable dogmas drive many people away from "believing". It's hard to just snatch faith back if it's been shaken like that. It's not as easy as "just" believing. I do think it's important to ask these questions. I mean giving lip service just because we're afraid of hell--God must see through that. I'll bet that angers him even more, something that pretty much scares me. A lot.

Hope that made sense.

I'm not going to get between you and Alpha because I like you both. What a conundrum! I see also that someone has posted how nobody is coming on here to truly learn about Christianity. That may be true. A Christianity forum specifically would probably be the better place to go to find people who either A) already believe fully or B) basically believe but just want those beliefs bolstered a little. I don't necessarily see the Christians getting along with each other any more than the non-Christians get along with Christians...etc.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:25 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Jeff, you made a good point back there about how these irreconcilable dogmas drive many people away from "believing". It's hard to just snatch faith back if it's been shaken like that. It's not as easy as "just" believing. I do think it's important to ask these questions. I mean giving lip service just because we're afraid of hell--God must see through that. I'll bet that angers him even more, something that pretty much scares me. A lot.

Hope that made sense.

I'm not going to get between you and Alpha because I like you both. What a conundrum! I see also that someone has posted how nobody is coming on here to truly learn about Christianity. That may be true. A Christianity forum specifically would probably be the better place to go to find people who either A) already believe fully or B) basically believe but just want those beliefs bolstered a little. I don't necessarily see the Christians getting along with each other any more than the non-Christians get along with Christians...etc.
Thanks for saying I made a good point. I appreciate not being called, in so many words, a heretic! That's for me to do myself! LOL

I think many Christians do indeed serve God out of fear of hell. It should be out of love for their Creator, not fear.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:31 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I think many Christians do indeed serve God out of fear of hell. It should be out of love for their Creator, not fear.
I agree 100% with this.

A fear of hell makes the gospel message man-centered. What can I gain from believing? And you're right, that's not what the motivation should be.

My motivation is God. Because He Is.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 06-12-2007 at 09:44 AM..

Old 06-12-2007, 09:36 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,488 times
Hear, hear.....

Old 06-12-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I don't necessarily see the Christians getting along with each other any more than the non-Christians get along with Christians...etc.
I guess this is because for SOME ODD reason Christians all have a different view point also. I guess my fear would not be Hell it would be God telling me I was luke warm and he is spewing me out of His mouth!!!
It's not the questioning that is so bad it's just never enough of an answer!! They all want PROOF give me PROOF, as if Christians don't sometimes wonder if God is with us. I have often wished for a "Big Sign" dropped from HEAVEN that says "Keep it up in the end it's all going to be just the way I said it would be"!!!!
Until then it's faith and faith alone that will lead the path to Jesus!!

Old 08-03-2007, 04:51 PM

5 posts, read 12,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Well since I believe all good people are going to heaven, I think I'll be fine. I plan on looking up JerZ, Gizmo, and Montanaguy in 60 or so years.
That is very beautiful IMom, but in being a Christian we are bound by certain guidelines that God has been so wonderful to give to us...called the Bible. And in such, as much as we would all love to just think that all "good people" will go to Heaven, it's not that easy. It takes work, as the Word says...'To get to the Father you have to go through the Son'....and my friends, that is only it in a nutshell. There is much more to it. But it's all right there in the Word.
thank you all for listening
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality