Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 01:13 PM

10 posts, read 27,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
But you see the atheists don't have the answer and that is what this thread is about. In my book to believe something without evidence/proof is called faith.

The reason I ask is because so many atheists are sure of their position. I was curious if anyone had any real proof.
Oh.. well, thank you for stating that in a way I can understand.

Now I'm thinking.... ummmmm ummmmmm... huuuuuuummmmmmmm

To believe something without evidence/proof CAN be faith OR it can be Brainwashing or Mental Illness or Ignorance.

Sooooo your saying the same thing can be said about Atheist.
Yes I am So very sure of my position. VERY SURE.
Yet I do not have faith, nor am I brainwashed, mentally ill, or Ignorant.

All I can say for myself is that I know for sure that god doesnt exist.
I do not need proof of how it came to exist, for sure actual proof to rule out that it came about from the creation of a god or gods.

ya. I dunno for sure how the earth/people came about.
But I do know for sure that is wasnt by gods.
So that qualifies me as an Atheist.

So your question isnt JUST for Atheists. It must be for Atheist who claim believe the earth was created by the big bang theory or other such theories,
Again I have never met an atheist who claims to know FOR SURE exactly how the earth came about. Although scientific evidence goes a LONG way, NO we DO NOT KNOW for a FACT, PROVEN by evidence..

But again I say.. SO WHAT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 01:44 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
Quote:
[The "evidence" that is all around me?

Dude! That what I tell atheists!
Except there is no evidence for god.

Quote:
Otherwise your logic is sound. However your premise is false. Ever heard of the Big Bang theory? The universe had a beginning. At least that's what the science guys say.
The origin of the universe is unknown and the Big Bang just says the universe began in a hot and condensed state and then expanded. What happened before is unknown. Matter could have always existed or the parrallel universe theory could be right.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:10 PM

10 posts, read 27,595 times
Agnostic soldier why are u agnostic and not atheist?

Old 05-06-2010, 03:12 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,031 times
Quote:
So,

Do you have any evidence to prove that the universe came to be by chance?

If you can prove that the universe came to be by chance, that would go a long way towards proving that atheism is true and there is probably no God.
I guess if I picked up my laptop and let it go, it would fall towards the center of the earth "by chance".

Old 05-06-2010, 03:13 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykee View Post
Agnostic soldier why are u agnostic and not atheist?
Same thing, if you're not an theist, you are an atheist..

Old 05-06-2010, 03:33 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Put it back to universe. Rude to change posts.
They are the same thing . . . no matter which word you use. God is the only eternal ANYTHING.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:37 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Quote:
So,

Do you have any evidence to prove that the universe came to be by chance?

If you can prove that the universe came to be by chance, that would go a long way towards proving that atheism is true and there is probably no God.

Can you explain what you mean by "chance?"

Old 05-06-2010, 03:42 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
They are the same thing . . . no matter which word you use. God is the only eternal ANYTHING.
Your opinion.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:59 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Quote:
Saying I have no evidence does't exactly support what you are trying to say.

I believe that God created the laws of the universe. That includes the processes of evolution and carbon dating, which BTW is only good for 15,000 years. I think you meant to say radiometric dating.

Science only discovers what God has created.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You might like to look at that again.
Good catch, Rafi. Only 15,000 years for C14? Ergo: Proof positive of a lack of scientific literacy, and yet here he is, arguing against scientific discovery.

In an earlier post on this thread, (#5: "So you have proof that the Big Bang and Evolution came about by mere chance?") he also conveniently tries to confuse the origins of the universe with evolution and "chance". One of these we're still not sure of but are hard at work on. We have scads of intriguing evidence pointing to several viable but competing answers. As for the other, we absolutely know and understand, and have delineated all or most of the mechanisms for, and have fossil and geological and lab and DNA proof of. And yet, they still come out of the woodwork, chanting their dismissals and mis-quotes and illogical arguments, like a bad "B" or even "C"-grade Hollywood horror movie:

"The Endless Unstoppable Termites That Ate Reason!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
you know scientists have great brains they can come up with lots of mad theory's of how the universe was created-only problem is is that its just that-THEORY-
Aaaaaand... there's the other one!

"It's ONLY A Theory!"

They, trying to slam the pie of scientific definitions back in our faces. Sadly, we closed down that game several decades ago, but still they show up, blathering the same brainless tripe. Again and again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Faith is the last refuge of those that have had their arguments defeated by reason and logic.
I LOVE it, Rafi! So Appropo!

[[mod[this quote has been deleted[/mod]

Moderator cut: this quote was deleted

There's the evidence we do have for our universe's beginnings (From nothing? Nope. Probably from the left-overs or transformation of another version, parallel or not.). Example, & clue # 1: The Hubble telescope confirmed our earlier but weaker evidence that the universe is expanding. From what? Which point of origin? We look and measure and find many points are all simultaneously moving away from a singular point, and at a certain speed. A bit of back-of-the-napkin calculatin', (any fool can do it, BTW...) and you can calculate a point in space and time, earlier than now, when we were all a lot tighter together. You know: a point of origin? Get it?

Want to dismiss that? How? Why? Your alternate theory? (You know; aside from an anthropomorphic bearded hominid beastie-man-thing lurking around in space, answering billions of prayers simultaneously each and every minute of the day.... sigh.). This concept clearly shows the huge limitations on some folks' creative imaginations, or perhaps even on their maximum-available intelligence.

Then there's that old Speed-of-Light" conundrum. Clue # 2. We know how fast light travels. We also understand (well, some of us anyhow ) The Doppler Effect for measuring the speed of an approaching or retreating body. We then calculate and realize that some of the stars we see are literally light from millions or billions of years ago.

We also find ancient traces of Big Bang background radiation. Clue # 3. Then, we find interesting components within ancient meteorites that occasionally land here on Earth. The makeup of these ancient messengers, absent violent involvement with other materials, is ominously consistent across the universe, and it matches the makeup of the oldest bodies in the skies, suggesting (clue # 5) that there was an original consistent and homogenous body of formative materials.

The best and most hilariously creative answer from the IDTrs*? That God placed that light out there in just the right position to confuse us. That He adjusts the speed of light as necessary. That the sun is but a set of mirrors. Etc. etc.

What utter bovine excretia. Does it tell you that stuff, specifically, in the bible, where they didn't even know that light had "speed"? Nope. This is just you guys, making it up as you go, which, believe me, doesn't quite cut it in an honest, informed and sophisticated debate. At the very least you should admit that some of our evidence is worthy of your diligent and honest consideration.

But instead: the best you can come up with to "defend" your *Intransigent Dogmo-Theories* is that implausible, undemonstrable and frankly, easily disproved, "plonk". Puh...Leeez!

We don't need to prove anything. WE have loads of ever-expanding evidence that, since it turns out to be exactly on the right track, conveniently does fit with our expanding model of Universal Origins. Now, you'd expect that since it is on the right track. If it wasn't, we'd abandon it ASAP and go looking elsewhere, but we haven't had to. We can smell success; it's in the winds now.

But for the IDT fringe group, it's same old same old. Tough sledding for your side, I'd say, what with all those rocks in your pathway. Ouch!

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-07-2010 at 07:53 AM..

Old 05-06-2010, 04:15 PM

433 posts, read 587,236 times
This has been discussed before. It is known as the theists' fallacy: "it's not random, therefore God did it."

"random" or "by chance" ... all the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality