Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 05:11 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times

Advertisements

Any LDS here (Mormon), is it usual for young adults to go door-to-door, like Jehovah's Witnesses do? I have a pair of young men who have come to my door several times now. I don't know why but it only struck me the last time I saw them that they're LDS and not JW.

It had only struck me the most recent time I spoke to them...I thought it was only JW that go door-to-door. So I'm just curious.

They're very nice men, for the record. They joke around a lot. Seeing my ultra-creepy Hallowe'en scenes sprawled across every inch of my yard last year when they dropped by, I guess they have no choice but to joke, LOL. But they really roll with the punches, I give them credit. (Edited: Meaning stuff like the Hallowe'en decorations...I don't rib them or anything...it takes guts to go up to total strangers.)

I thought of this b/c I saw them (same two kids) on their bikes the other day.

Last edited by JerZ; 06-13-2007 at 05:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 05:16 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
We actually have alot of them in Phoenix. They're always wearing white shirts and riding bikes. I've never actually had any of them come to my house but I believe that's what they do. They always seem polite and I can't imagine them being too pushy so I really don't have any problem with it.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:29 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,644 times
They are pretty much everywhere and they travel in pairs according to church guidelines. They dress nicely and have badges on their shirt pockets with an LDS church designation. Some travel by bike and some by car, depending on where they are.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:29 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,451 times
I'm not Mormon (I think manic is) but from what I understood when I spoke with them (yes, they're here in PA, too) is it's part of their missions work and are required (?) to go door-to-door. If I misstated that, please correct me.

They are very polite, and so are the JW that I spoke with also. They, LDS & JW pretty much have written me off anymore as a prospect, because I invite them in and talk with them about their beliefs and basically share my views of my beliefs and why and where I disagree with them, very politely, compassionately and not threatening, right from the Bible.

So, I'm blacklisted, I suppose.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:38 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Oh, okay. I never remember seeing an LDS person riding around or going door-to-door when I lived in the northeast. So that's why it struck me here. Yes, they dress very nicely, though here we have "California LDS" with short-sleeved dress shirts and sunglasses...LOL. They actually look pretty cool.

They definitely aren't pushy, as MG said. Very polite and nice. Anyway...interesting, you learn something new every day.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:46 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
Yes, LDS go on a mission for 2 years when they are 19 years old by tradition. Some go more local, and others more exotic, depending on where they are assigned by the church. It is more common for boys to do this, but girls can go on missions too. (I'm not LDS, but my best friend is.)

Old 06-13-2007, 08:51 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,917 times
Yes, I served a mission when I was age 19-21. I served in Russia. Over there we didn't go door to door. It wasn't really socially accepted (less than in the US). We did however, go to parks, busy streets etc. and talk to people there. It was really hard, trying to talk to people who didn't always want to talk to us, in a foreign language. But I made some great friends of all ages while serving my mission. It was one of the defining experiences of my life -- really stretched me.

Overall, going door to door, is one of the least encouraged methods of contacting and teaching people, because it's not very effective. So if you see missionaries at your door, its probably because they didn't set up appointments through member referrals or other means.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:51 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,523,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Oh, okay. I never remember seeing an LDS person riding around or going door-to-door when I lived in the northeast. So that's why it struck me here. Yes, they dress very nicely, though here we have "California LDS" with short-sleeved dress shirts and sunglasses...LOL. They actually look pretty cool.
It's a little known fact, but the reason you don't remember seeing any missionaries in the Northeast is simple; the Church has pulled all missionaries from that area and sent them to Southern California. As anyone at the USGS can tell you, the next big one will drop Southern California into the Pacific like a stone. The Church wants to introduce the Gospel to as many people in that area as possible before they go swimming. It will be much easier to baptize folks if they are already in the water waiting for the Coast Guard.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:55 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Non-denom go door to door too, on Sat morning I would meet JW and other out doing the same thing. But we only went/go on Sat morning, sometimes Tuesday night.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:13 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
I can respect anyone with a door to door ministry. I am polite to them as they are to me. Takes a very special personality to have the nerve and courage to knock on a strangers door with the word of God to share. God has given all of us certain gifts and expects us to use them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality