Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 08:48 PM

514 posts, read 686,964 times

Advertisements

Santa Barbara, I lived on the CA NV border for 40 years though, I know the state pretty well.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:33 AM

31 posts, read 78,122 times
Nice jeep! I have an 84 CJ7. If you have the straight 6 it's pretty bullet proof. Haven't had any trouble with mine in the almost 20 years I've owned it. That would be great for exploring the trails around here. I agree about the mountain bike though, good idea if you're out alone. Are you planning on moving here soon? Fall will be here before you know it, some of out trees have already started to turn, Reno is beautiful in the fall!

Old 08-25-2010, 10:25 AM

One of the best first trips you can do, as long as the Playa is dry, inquire locally, is to drive to Soldier Meadows. Home It is a great jumping off point for Northwest Nevada trips. And is the most isolated place where people live in the lower 48 states.

The Black Rock desert is an unworldly experience for folks from other areas, it is thought to be the biggest flat spot on earth. Nothing grows on it, nothing lives on it. no plants no bugs.

Each year though, at labor day it suffers through one of the worst monstrosities ever visited upon wildland, the BurningMan festival. However, beyond it, there is grand and wonderful country to get lost in.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:02 AM

286 posts, read 640,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
One of the best first trips you can do, as long as the Playa is dry, inquire locally, is to drive to Soldier Meadows. Home It is a great jumping off point for Northwest Nevada trips. And is the most isolated place where people live in the lower 48 states.

The Black Rock desert is an unworldly experience for folks from other areas, it is thought to be the biggest flat spot on earth. Nothing grows on it, nothing lives on it. no plants no bugs.

Each year though, at labor day it suffers through one of the worst monstrosities ever visited upon wildland, the BurningMan festival. However, beyond it, there is grand and wonderful country to get lost in.
BurningMan doesn't seem to be a family event. Looks like transplants from San Francisco

Old 08-25-2010, 11:15 AM

Pretty much visitors from the Bay Area. A pretty horrific crowd if you like empty country. I have sat on a mountain ridge 20 miles away and the dust cloud from all the people walking in the playa dust rises like a nuclear mushroom cloud thousands of feet into the air.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:21 AM

Yes, the burners have been streaming through town for a few weeks now. They actually moved the event from the bay area when the attendance became too large.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:28 AM

Yep, since people do not understand the beauty of the Black Rock, it seems okay to put it there. It would be interesting to see the reaction if the organizer (who makes nearly a million dollars a year from BM) tried to put in Yosemite Valley.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:03 PM

It's sad but true, to most people the desert is just something you have to go through to get to Vegas or wherever. I find it beautiful and fascinating, even down here in the middle of h-e-double hockey sticks where I am at the moment.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,260 times
[SIZE=3]I just wanted to say as a Native Nevadan (25 years in Las Vegas born and raised) and a Reno resident for 10 months (I'll get to why) that Nevada is not such a bad place per se. It does have its downfalls, just like any place. My parents retired to Reno, for them it is a little slice of paradise. For me, not so much paradise. There weren’t a lot of jobs, pay was very inconsistent with cost of living...and foreclosures were and still are a problem, but show me a place in this country that isn't having this problem. I miss the beautiful sunsets, the mountains, the wildlife that wanders out around dusk (wild horses in the south part of town)...the beauty that is Lake Tahoe, but I say this with conviction, I will never be a resident of Nevada again. Not through any fault that is the state's fault, oh no...I just need to be somewhere green, and cool. I am actually thinking of relocating from my current state (TX) somewhere much quieter and calmer (PacNW). Growing up in Las Vegas and Nevada in general was an interesting and fun experience. My Mother made sure we knew Nevada history as she taught it for over 25+ years. I received a great education. The schools I attended were top notch, prepared me well for college and life in general. Many of my co-students have grown up to be quite successful in their chosen fields, not sure if it is due to the parents we all had…contributing to the education and such. I am an alumni of UNLV (don’t hate UNR grads, we’re all in this together) and I state that proudly, even in my ridiculous environment of UT and OU grads battling it out in the workplace. I still stand firm that Nevada is a beautiful place, a place all its own. People do move there with a dream, some make it, some don’t….story has been told in many a place. Just do your homework before moving. I left Reno in a hurry, not because it was a terrible place, but because I had some great things waiting for me in the greater world outside my HOME state. Never sorry I left, but I do miss my family. I do get to visit often and I can take my daughter to the Lake or have her skip pebbles in the river…she’ll know where her Mama came from. Battle Born is right, we’re fighters and the state will recover. It will just take some TLC and maybe a bailout from the government. All in all it made this girl what I am today.[/SIZE]

Old 08-29-2010, 11:28 PM

86 posts, read 231,762 times
Nevada is number one in unemployment in the country
Re...Dont move here without a job.
Nevada is number one in foreclosures
Re: Its a buyers market..never met anyone who moved here to SELL a house
Nevada is number one in alcohol addiction
Re: be a responsible adult...its not in the water
Nevada is number one in teen pregnancies
Re: Dont believe it...I lived in Texas for 5 years!
Nevada is number one in meth abuse
Re: just say no
Nevada is number one in personal bankruptcies
Re: again..dont move here unemployed
Nevada is number one in high school dropout rates
Re: be a good parent
Nevada is number one in college drop out rates
Re: ok I will give you this one...UNR is not a great school
Nevada is number two in suicides, second only to Alaska
Re: the Palin state and Reid state..no wonder
Nevada is number one in gambling addiction.
Re: as opposed to states where gambling is illegal?

Sorry you had a bad experience here. Most of the hardships are Vegas though. I live in Sparks and love. Prefer is over Reno
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area