Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 05:47 PM

48 posts, read 50,331 times

Advertisements

Oh, about the wind in Fernley- the person was not exaggerating! The wind there is horrendous, especially at the change of every season.

The drug issues and increased gang violence is not exaggerated either. In general it is not a town I would recommend to someone moving to this area- it is not like it is a "hidden gem" that we want to keep people out of. Most people, if given the chance, run from the area as fast as they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 01:10 AM

4 posts, read 4,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagewitch View Post
Don't move to Nevada if you can't put up with wind. Wind that will effectively relocate everything you leave outside. I watched a 100 mph gust snap a very old pine tree at the base a couple winters ago. Fences are a waste of time, but people keep putting up the standard fencing, just to watch it tear down every so often. Some years the wind is worse than others. There's a reason tall trees don't exist here and smaller ones grow sideways. Fernley homes were built quick and cheap by fat and happy developers. You get what you pay for. The property values are going to take a long time to come close to what they were 5 or 6 years ago - and they may stay bad since cheap houses rarely retain much value. And don't be fooled either - Fernley has crime. My friend was walking his dog last month and found a dead body in an open field in back of his house, and he lives in a decent neighborhood. Police eventually showed and cleaned it up - most likely drug related. Ever see Breaking Bad? Meth and heroin are drugs of choice in Fernley. Be careful.
Fact, all of it. Ferntucky and Falabama are cute local nicknames, no offense meant, they just are. I personally like Fallon much better than Fernley. Another fact, some of those houses that flooded were vacant, bank repos from the crash. They kept sitting vacant after the flood and were uninhabitable with mold by the time the banks got around to dealing with them. Quite a few should've been torn down, they were not able to remediate them.

Wind is a part of life in N Nevada, some areas it's just stupid difficult to deal with, other areas aren't as bad but you'll still be dealing with it. Homeowners is your friend. But...you won't see a serious tornado!

Old 07-20-2014, 08:16 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna Patterson View Post

Have driven into Reno totally unaware that snow was there, because we didn't see snow till on the freeway, which is usually cleared by rush hour. My ex-roommate worked in Reno, and only once had to deal with snow on the freeway. Maybe all those trucks using the freeway has something to do with it.
We live about 500' above Reno but only about 3 miles from downtown and except for the past two years we have had plenty of shoveling to do and lots of icy roads. When we get to lower ground the snow isn't even sticking, it's kind of bizarre

Old 08-19-2014, 10:51 AM

19 posts, read 49,150 times
Fernley is very remote for my taste. You are right, though. The living is cheaper and can be tempting. Here are my impressions of both: (lived in Reno 12 years)

Spanish Springs: more homes are being built out there. It's more of a community, kind of like an arm of Reno. There are golf courses, more people, and it's a short drive into the city if you need it.

Fernley: more county. I hesitate to say more "hick" but I'll say it. With love, of course, because many towns in NV are this way & there's nothing wrong with it. The houses are very spread apart. I'd get lonely living there.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:32 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Designconceptslo View Post
I am relocating to the area and seem to be going back and forth between Sparks/Spanish Springs and Fernley. I must say that the size of lots and price per sq ft in Fernley is quite tempting. I have lived in more rural areas for the majority of my life. I am in my late fifties with grown children. I will be moving alone, except for my four legged "roomies". I do not need employment, but will probably seek something part time. I am looking for affordable, friendly and (due to age) good medical availability. I am also concerned about levy/flooding issues. Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated.
Fernley's economy is going to take a major hit Amazon just announced they are moving their warehouse from Fernley to Reno

Old 08-28-2014, 09:58 PM

21 posts, read 28,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinem View Post
Fernley is very remote for my taste. You are right, though. The living is cheaper and can be tempting. Here are my impressions of both: (lived in Reno 12 years)

Spanish Springs: more homes are being built out there. It's more of a community, kind of like an arm of Reno. There are golf courses, more people, and it's a short drive into the city if you need it.

Fernley: more county. I hesitate to say more "hick" but I'll say it. With love, of course, because many towns in NV are this way & there's nothing wrong with it. The houses are very spread apart. I'd get lonely living there.

Fernley houses are the same distance away as any other neighborhood. Unless you buy in the highlands, which are 5 acre lots and require driving on a dirt road to get to. The people that buy there, want to live there.

We are not hick or country folk. Our town is small, only has a Wal Mart to buy clothes in, but Reno is 30 minutes away. Fernley has wind but so does every other town around us. Fernley has 4 &5 star schools and a very active, local community to support their school teams.

Fernley also has very nice, well to do neighborhoods, outside of the golf course. These neighborhoods are very safe.

Every neighborhood has it's bad side and Fernley has a very small bad side. Even in the worst of Fernley I do not feel unsafe or afraid.

Somebody who lives in Reno has no clue what it is like to live in Fernley.

Old 10-10-2023, 05:19 PM

10 posts, read 7,910 times
as a single woman (widowed) I am exploring the option of Fernley as well and am curious as to if you did decide to move here or not?

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-10-2023 at 06:04 PM..

Old 10-11-2023, 04:18 PM

783 posts, read 837,179 times
Chef,

Make sure to look into flood plain information and be careful about any properties on a well in Fernley right now.

Fernley has some water issues that are still being sorted out that can have a huge impact on property there, you can do some internet searches on recent developments with the canal and groundwater levels. Ask for flood plain data on any housing you are interested in as well, as this can effect insurance and mortgage payments on a FHA loan.

Fernley is a very cute, clean town. It is more of a high-desert environment, farther from the Sierra. Fallon is very similar.

Sparks can have a high-crime element to parts of it. The folks I know that are happy in Sparks, live in a gated community to screen much of the property crime out. Sparks has some beautiful amenities and is more affordable than much of Reno with newer home development that can be attractive. Over 55 gated HOA there might be perfect for you as I do know a retired, single lady who is comfortable and very busy with community activities in that arrangement. She loves having a pool and community club house with built in activity partners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area