Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 10:00 AM

226 posts, read 1,008,131 times

Advertisements

As Reno and surrounding areas continue to grow, we need to become a more industrialized urban center. I envision a metro comparable in size to the Sacramento Metro.

From north to south the metro would stretch from Winnemucca Valley,the Stead area, Sun Valley, Golden Valley-Lemon Valley, all the way down into Douglas County with the Stateline/ S. Lake Tahoe, CA area being the southern terminus of the metro. This would stretch East to include Carson City and Minden/Gardnerville.

US 395 should continue to be transformed into I-580 which would be an 8 lane freeway (4 lanes in each direction, one of which would be a carpool lane on either side) that runs from the North Valleys to Carson City. Parts of 395 in Reno already have 4 lanes in both directions. The 8 lane highway should continue into Carson City and should become a 4 lane highway South to the Minden/Gardnerville area

NV 206 from Indian Hills to Genoa should be atleast a 4 lane (2 lanes in each direction) highway and it should be extended directly SW to connect with US 50 in Stateline/SLT. This would provide express service from SLT to Reno cutting the travel time in half!

From east to west our Metro would encompass the areas from Spanish Springs to Verdi and extend east on I-80 to include Fernley. The I-80 corridor is already in place (although it should be widened through the Reno-Sparks area to accommodate more traffic). The Pyramid Highway could also be made into a freeway (4 lane) at least to the Spanish Springs area.

Developing these areas would alleviate the density problems in Reno as our population grows over the next 20 years. The population would be spread out over an area with a radius of more than 25 miles versus the current radius of about 10 miles.

This would allow for growth of 1 Million+ residents to our area throughout the 21st century for a total of about 1.5 million ( a good size Metro).

Downtown Reno should also be revitalized with skyscrapers that would be visible for miles throughout the metro which would bring in even more tourists and tourist tax revenue to the area.

Also with a larger metro, more businesses would be attracted to our market so we would get more chain restaurants such as Famous Dave's, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Panera Bread, and CiCi's Pizza among others... I just hope we will get a Popeye's Chicken and Biscuits lol. Possibly more malls with department stores like Von Mar, Lane Bryant, Rainbow, Dillard's, etc. (No more need to go to Sac).

With more and more Californians moving to Nevada, tripling our population is rather our future reality, not a fantasy-- and this would be an excellent way to grow. We could be called the Reno - Tahoe Metropolitan area and would include parts of Washoe County, Storey County, Lyon County, Carson City (County/District) and part of El Dorado County, CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 10:35 AM

713 posts, read 2,717,474 times
I think I need a drink after reading the above post.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:06 PM

151 posts, read 705,451 times
I agree. After recently moving here from a similarly populated metro area as described above, I love the peace and serenity here. Let's keep it, please?!

Old 04-19-2008, 02:05 AM

163 posts, read 774,055 times
I think I need one too

Seriously....what are you talking about?

First of all, there's about a 1.5 million people population difference between Sacramento and Reno. Reno won't catch up for many, many, many years (hopefully never).

And secondly....why would you want the Reno area to become a big city with a population size like Sacramento??? Wouldn't that take away all the good things about the Reno area? I think so.

The great thing about Reno now is it is a "big little city" and you have relatively urban downtown, small city overall, and then you have all the wonderful great outdoors outside the city! Low traffic, low pollution (love that BLUE sky!), plenty of amenities, quickly improving downtown, AND great mountains, deserts, open lands, etc. etc.

I could go on... friendly people (you won't have much of that with all your flood of CA people-I'm from CA I can say that) blah blah blah

I don't even remember everything you said... but I can tell you that you don't want to turn Northern NV into a sprawling California-like suburbia...

"Developing these areas would alleviate the density problems in Reno as our population grows over the next 20 years. The population would be spread out over an area with a radius of more than 25 miles versus the current radius of about 10 miles."

Density is GOOD. Keeps traffic down, neighborhoods are more like... neighborhoods, and things more convenient, and keeps the open spaces OPEN. Ever been to Elk Grove? North Natomas? RosevilleGraniteBayRocklinLincolnFolsom? They're messes of sprawling suburbia - for the most part.

Oh and those chain restaurants you mentioned are a horrible symptom of suburbia, everythings the same! Boring, and very sub-par food. Been to Vegas lately? Can you tell the difference between ANY of the outer areas in the Valley? Chain everything as far as the eye can see. Is that what you really want for Reno?

Nothing personal here. But why would you want to turn Reno into a big sprawling city that it is not? Seems like you want to turn it into California and then you inherit all the problems as well.

Don't get me wrong I'm from Sacramento and like it for what it is, and it's too late it is what it is. I have family in the Reno and Carson area and grew up in Tahoe. I love Northern NV for what it is, I hope it stays mostly the same. I know growth will come and you can't stop it, but let's not turn it into another California. And I like big cities just fine, but Reno is not one and I don't think it should become one.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:00 AM

713 posts, read 2,717,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Currie View Post
Ever been to Elk Grove?

I grew up in Elk Grove and can remember when there was only one stop light in town. I went back there last summer for the first time since 1989...omg.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I think I need one too

Density is GOOD. Keeps traffic down, neighborhoods are more like... neighborhoods, and things more convenient, and keeps the open spaces OPEN. Ever been to Elk Grove? North Natomas? RosevilleGraniteBayRocklinLincolnFolsom? They're messes of sprawling suburbia - for the most part.

O
Are you serious, density is the overcrowding of the city. Along with density comes traffic congestion, smog, gridlocked freeways during rush hour, etc. My plan is to expand the physical area of where the population lives thus evenly spreading out the traffic and keeping congestion to a minimum.

You may not want to believe that the Reno area is growing but the facts are the facts:
"The City of Reno is forecast to grow from its current population of 220,000 to 320,000 by the year 2030." - The City of Reno <http://www.cityofreno.com/index.aspx?recordid=1338&page=576>

If you seriously want to have 100,000 more residents within the current Reno city limits you will have the feel of San Francisco, nowhere to park, people everywhere, traffic problems everyday!

Wouldn't you rather have a systematically built metropolis that can handle this kind of growth?

Oh, wait u want Reno to be more like Hawthorne? maybe you should check out Mineral county for that country living (lol) cause whether you like it or not the Truckee Meadows is growing!

BTW,those figures were just for the city of Reno, not Sparks, Sun Valley, Spanish Springs, Fernely, etc.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Oh and those chain restaurants you mentioned are a horrible symptom of suburbia, everythings the same! Boring, and very sub-par food. Been to Vegas lately? Can you tell the difference between ANY of the outer areas in the Valley? Chain everything as far as the eye can see. Is that what you really want for Reno?

Ok, so you are telling me that just because they are a national chain that they have sub-par food? So why is it that Famous Dave's has won 1st place at the Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-off for the last two years in a row?

Honestly, have you ever tried these places or are you just knocking them because they're not your home-town mom and pop?

And yes Reno needs more choices just like Vegas, we need more people here as well; Why let Southern Nevada become the bully of Majority-Rule in State politics while we just sit idle?

Old 04-19-2008, 01:46 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,220 times
This sounds horrible, just sprawling suburbia that could be anywhere in the US. We need density and smart growth with some character.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Are you serious, density is the overcrowding of the city. Along with density comes traffic congestion, smog, gridlocked freeways during rush hour, etc. My plan is to expand the physical area of where the population lives thus evenly spreading out the traffic and keeping congestion to a minimum.
Sorry, wrong. Spread out, low density, sprawling suburbs are what create all that smog and traffic. Don't believe me? Since we're using Sacramento to compare.... Look at Roseville compared to say...Land Park or Midtown. Roseville is the one with huge six lane city streets and spread out housing developments and traffic is ridiculous. And trying walking anywhere in Roseville....not a good idea. And that's just in the city. How about the huge 8-10 lane freeway from the Roseville area down into central Sacramento? Jam packed during commute times! Go to Land Park or Midtown and things are much nicer. Much less traffic. You can walk to things. Streets are smaller. And chances are good you don't even need a freeway to get to work (or where-ever).

Same thing in Reno. How about that huge clusterf*!k of a shopping area they put in near Virginia and Kitzke??? They put everything all in one huge area, with huge streets, suburb style. Ever see any traffic around that part of town? Ever try walking to different stores while doing your shopping?

* damn, just saw that you wanted carpool lanes!?
Carpool lanes are a horrible joke. In my experience they actually make traffic WORSE because you lose a lane of traffic during carpool lane hours. And guess what...? NO ONE carpools anyway, they're simply not used in any significant number. So many times while in rush hour traffic on the freeway I sit there and look over to the left into the carpool lane...look up the freeway, then look back behind me. Sometimes I literally cannot see ONE car in the carpool lane, most of the time 1 or 2...spaced a mile apart!
Seriously, carpool lanes are retarded and good example of why too much Gov't is a waste. End of my rant.

Quote:
You may not want to believe that the Reno area is growing but the facts are the facts:
"The City of Reno is forecast to grow from its current population of 220,000 to 320,000 by the year 2030." - The City of Reno <http://www.cityofreno.com/index.aspx?recordid=1338&page=576>

If you seriously want to have 100,000 more residents within the current Reno city limits you will have the feel of San Francisco, nowhere to park, people everywhere, traffic problems everyday!

Wouldn't you rather have a systematically built metropolis that can handle this kind of growth?

Oh, wait u want Reno to be more like Hawthorne? maybe you should check out Mineral county for that country living (lol) cause whether you like it or not the Truckee Meadows is growing!

BTW,those figures were just for the city of Reno, not Sparks, Sun Valley, Spanish Springs, Fernely, etc.
Nope. I never said that Reno shouldn't grow or that it wasn't. And I never said I wanted it to all be rural country living.

Of course it's gonna grow and get bigger (as are many other places). And another 100k people will never make Reno a "metropolis". And Reno shouldn't try and be a metropolis, it's a small town.

All I am saying (like another said) is that yes it's going to grow and that is inevitable, but it should be done in a smart and planned way. NOT in the way much of California or Vegas has grown. Those are good examples of how NOT to do it

Oh, and you could add all those people and plenty more and it wouldn't be anything close to SF Are you kidding?

Last edited by Tim Currie; 04-19-2008 at 04:11 PM..

Old 04-19-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHallowes View Post
Ok, so you are telling me that just because they are a national chain that they have sub-par food? So why is it that Famous Dave's has won 1st place at the Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-off for the last two years in a row?

Honestly, have you ever tried these places or are you just knocking them because they're not your home-town mom and pop?

Yes I am telling you that, at least for the most part. Yeah of course I've been to plenty of chain places and do go to them occasionally for whatever reason. And they're simply no good compared to most local equivalents. but whatever floats your boat. Never been to Famous Daves.
I mean is there even an argument? Chipotle, Taco Bell, etc.etc. VS. a GOOD local taqueria? Burger King, Carls JR, Red Robin VS. A GOOD local burger joint? Easy.

Quote:
And yes Reno needs more choices just like Vegas, we need more people here as well; Why let Southern Nevada become the bully of Majority-Rule in State politics while we just sit idle?

Sounds like you should move to Vegas, or Sac, or where-ever rather than trying to turn Reno into one of them? Not trying to be a d*$k but I'd guess that most people in the Reno area would disagree with you.

*good point though about the politics. too bad most people in Vegas are silly liberals from California (southern) and might end up ruining one of the best things about NV - the very freedom and libertarian mindset that keeps the Gov't out of your life! Seriously, the laws (or lack there of) in NV are great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area