Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 09:51 PM

53 posts, read 480,395 times

Advertisements

Hi again!

OK so I am still on my quest to find a nice, safe place with not a ton of snow....I know Tahoe gets tons but what can anyone tell me about Carson or Reno to live?

I don't want it super hot so I thought maybe these places would be a better alternative.

Can anyone tell me what it is like to live in Carson City or Reno?

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2006, 03:57 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,044,161 times
--delete--

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-19-2007 at 10:28 PM..

Old 07-29-2006, 05:47 AM

53 posts, read 480,395 times
Smile Shoveling snow? UGH!

Hi Rocco!

I laughed when I posted that message because I thought "what if no one answers me?" and then I thought " I bet Rocco will know something,he knows everything." So I apprecaite you answering

See, I don't want to shovel snow either BUT I have to be open to a few areas. I don't know where I will be offered a job at so I want to know all the possibilities.

I guess if I have to live through a rare blizzard, I can do it. I do it all the time here.

The one thing I liked about that area that I found was there were a few medical centers and hospitals. Plus I would assume more free standing pharmacies.

Carson City "claims" in a demographic study that they get 15 inches of snow a year. But theycould be hiding their real numbers. Where I live they"claim" we get 48".....LOL I think it was 2 yrs ago we had about 200".

Anyway, thanks for the post. I think I am going to add that area on my list of places to visit while I am there. I was going to go over to Sedona for a couple days to hang out but I think I will cancel that and just go to Carson City area instead.

I'll chat again soon

Leilani

Old 07-30-2006, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,957 times
I am looking to relocate to the Reno/Tahoe/Carson City area. Hubby and I honeymooned in Tahoe and I fell in love with the area. I have a B.S. in Finance, and am pretty open to different job opportunities, (entry-level). Any suggestions on who I should contact to seek a job in the area? I have sent my resumes to a few companies, but never got a response. Should I try and move without a job?? Any advice would be much welcomed. :-)

Old 07-30-2006, 03:06 PM

11 posts, read 113,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnoel1225
I am looking to relocate to the Reno/Tahoe/Carson City area. . . Any suggestions on who I should contact to seek a job in the area?
Google . .
location monster nevada reno
rgj careerbuilder

Old 08-27-2006, 06:12 PM

3 posts, read 9,769 times
Default 22 Years

Hi- I lived in CC for 22 years, and left to retire 7 years ago in Eugene, Or. CC is the state capitol and is growing, which is one of the many reasons I left. Being a state capitol and growing it is not hurting for jobs. Also the last I checked property was high and going higher, in Nv. onw doesnt get much bang for their buck. Alot of the people will live in surrounding county and commute to CC, real estate is cheaper in Lyon Co. Dont worry about the snow or heat, you'll be blown to the central part of the state by the Washoe Zephyrs. Good luck in you endeavors. - Freddienme

Old 09-05-2006, 06:40 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,504 times
Reno Carson City is pleasant year round, if temps in the 90's in the summer, high's in the 40's and 50's during the cold part of the winter suit you. In the summer Tahoe is cooler and pleasant. It will snow in the area, and if you live on a hill,,, 4x4 is nice. expect occasional dumps of a foot to two feet. Not really a problem except neither city does a good job of plowing.

Both cities have jobs and are growing. Reno being a regional center for a large geographic area has a vast array of service and jobs.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:21 AM

5 posts, read 38,849 times
I've lived in Nevada for 12 years.

We do NOT have winters that are in the 40's and 50's. We have very cold winters, but not that much snow. Just cold, usually in the 20's or 30's.

Nothing compared to east coast winters, of course, but still - cold. If you want somewhere that stays in the 50's during the winter, go to Texas, which is where I moved from.

~Tasha

Old 09-11-2006, 05:18 PM

154 posts, read 991,855 times
Reno weather is a bit strange. One winter you can go the whole season without seeing more than an inch of snow, then next winter it will dump 1' or more in the valley from a single storm. I've lived here my whole life (28 years) and am a 2nd generation Native Nevadan. According to www.weather.com, the coldest month is January with an average high temp of 45 degrees and a low of 21. While we do have a relatively mild climate, I have lived here long enough to see lows well below zero and highs only in the single digits, although it is fairly rare and usually doesn't persist for longer than 2-3 days.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:55 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,504 times
Reno and Carson,, again are rather pleasant. I live in Truckee with average winter highs in the 30's. Driving to Reno to work each day, is like driving to Florida.

As you move away from the Sierra it gets colder, in Northern Nevada... Winnemucca and Elko can get chilly.

The coldest I remember in Reno was -15 back in 92, That was pretty rare, infact that winter was one of the few actually cold winters.. it snows occasionally, the snow will stay in the shade, but even winter before last, when Reno got seven feet, it was bare ground within weeks, in the sun.

Winters are nothing like the upper Midwest, or New England. Plus,, aside from the fog days, and snowstorms,, the days are sunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area