Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:22 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I'm sorry, but nice upper middle class apts do not accept HUD.
Why not? We rent very nice houses, and we accept section 8 (I'm assuming from context in other posts that is what HUD is referring to here). We have tenants in new 4 bedroom houses with Section 8 assistance.

To the OP. Are you actually on Section 8? If not, they may not be allowed to rent you one of those units. They may have an agreement with HUD to rent them to people who do have government assistance.

If you ARE on Section 8, which it sounds like you are, why in the world haven't you contacted your rep to get their help with this? They can help you with this. If the apartment complex really does have a rule that they are making families of 4 or more living a 1 bedroom for a year before they can apply for a 2 bedroom, HUD is going to have a problem with that. Don't call a lawyer, call your HUD rep.

And in my area, the HUD occupancy rule (I thought it was the rule everywhere, but apparantly not) is "2 per bedroom + 1", so a 1 bedroom could have up to 3 people, a 2 bedroom could have up to 5, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 12:04 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Actualy I Dont want them to Lower a Higher rent apt I just wanted one of the HUD apts! I waited 18 Months for..they rented to some one else! The Higher rent apt is $815 there are 4. The Lower ones are $650 also 4!! The Higher rent are behind the Dumpsters! 10 ft front the apt doors! Yeck! The HUD apts are in Better Locations...Go Figure! After I turned down [well Section 8 refused] they transfered a couple with teen boy into it. They were Drug Raided the following month! Seems the teen was selling classmate wacky weed! After that the rented it to a walkin Single lady! Now they are raising the rent on her to $850...she told them she leaving when her lease up. Even tho there are several empty 1 bedrooms. Since I complined to the Corp Mgr they decided to lowere the rent for me when [if] she does move. IF they didnt want to transfer us I wish they told me so I could have moved Last month instead of resigning another yr lease. But when I asked her in Jan she said everything for transfer was ok just a matter of some one in the HUD apts moving. Now 3 Have moved & 1 is in process of moving & instead of letting us transfer she renting to walk ins!! Even the Neighbors cant understand Why!
Why did Section 8 refuse?

Old 04-28-2011, 01:14 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Why not? We rent very nice houses, and we accept section 8 (I'm assuming from context in other posts that is what HUD is referring to here). We have tenants in new 4 bedroom houses with Section 8 assistance.

Having a section 8 tenant in one house, in one neighborhood is a lot different than having 10% or more of your apartments filled with section 8ers.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-11-2021 at 04:31 PM..

Old 04-28-2011, 06:44 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post

To the OP. Are you actually on Section 8? If not, they may not be allowed to rent you one of those units. They may have an agreement with HUD to rent them to people who do have government assistance.

If you ARE on Section 8, which it sounds like you are, why in the world haven't you contacted your rep to get their help with this? They can help you with this. If the apartment complex really does have a rule that they are making families of 4 or more living a 1 bedroom for a year before they can apply for a 2 bedroom, HUD is going to have a problem with that. Don't call a lawyer, call your HUD rep.

And in my area, the HUD occupancy rule (I thought it was the rule everywhere, but apparantly not) is "2 per bedroom + 1", so a 1 bedroom could have up to 3 people, a 2 bedroom could have up to 5, etc.
Yes its Section 8 thru my local HUD office. So Far you gave me the BEST advice! I call my rep Monday! I have Lawyers appt next Thursday So if HUD cant help I can still talk to Lawyer. I think the Rule you said is trure here BUT The Apt Mgr tends to look away OR could be I Dont See the whole Pic! Such as some of the kids could be Prevous Relationship & were here certain nites & weekends for Visitation.... Like I said I dont watch my neighbors! One of the reasons I love it here is No going thru a lobby of folks with nothing to do but watch who comes who goes when how many why & what store you go to what you buy ETC UGH! Calling HUD Monday!

Old 04-28-2011, 06:53 PM

tilli---Why did Section 8 refuse?

I only allowed a 2 bedroom no more than $730 All Utilities inc. Dont ask why I no clue! My 1 bedroom apt is $600 I pay $80 month in electric [total electric apt] The 2bedroom apts under the reduced rate...$650 so add $80 in electric that my limit $730!! Full price 2 bedrooms are going up to $850 as leases get renewed.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
So likening Section 8 people to cockroaches seems like a fine thing to do to you? Wow.

Not all section 8ers, just those who invade and take over apartment complexes.

There is a huge difference between having one or two section 8er in a residential neighborhood and whole slew of them in an apartment complex.

A landlord or property manager is going to be on top of their tenants...they have to be..they have a reputation to protect in the real estate business.

A leasing agent or on site manager for an apartment complex doesn't care what's going on.. they keep getting their rent, on time, month after month as long as they keep the apt occupied. It's easy money for them.

If you're ever down in SWF..check out Westwood and Westchase apartments...then you'll see why I say what I say.

And in about 6-12mths come down and check the Horizons apts as well...just read a piece in the paper that they are making that a low income housing complex. I bet those homes bordering that are having a fit..and rightfully so....it will be a dump for sure.

Last edited by Kim in FL; 04-29-2011 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: added more info....

Old 04-29-2011, 06:18 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
tilli---Why did Section 8 refuse?

I only allowed a 2 bedroom no more than $730 All Utilities inc. Dont ask why I no clue! My 1 bedroom apt is $600 I pay $80 month in electric [total electric apt] The 2bedroom apts under the reduced rate...$650 so add $80 in electric that my limit $730!! Full price 2 bedrooms are going up to $850 as leases get renewed.
So basically, it sounds like you were denied because the unit you want to move into is too expensive. How can the apartment complex move you into a unit if Section 8 will not approve? How is that the fault of the apartment management?

Old 04-29-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If I was to ever end up on section 8 I can assure you, I wouldn't be one of those cockroaches. I happen to take pride in where I live and how I live. I treat my things with respect, and I treat other ppls things with respect as well. Can't say that for those who tear down these one very nice apartment homes because they don't care. The govt ( and me) are paying their rent and they know they won't be thrown out because the apt complex is loving the montly payment.
Maybe you will maybe you wont but you be lumped in with the rest of the Cockroaches! Think about That before you judge me or others! IF the Apt complex is going down hill I can tell you from experence its the LL/apt mgr fault! Called Up keep!

Old 04-29-2011, 06:53 AM

tilli- NO ... Please Read my post! sigh

Old 04-29-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
So basically, it sounds like you were denied because the unit you want to move into is too expensive. How can the apartment complex move you into a unit if Section 8 will not approve? How is that the fault of the apartment management?

She would have pay anything above her monthly allowence.

IE: The give her 500 her rent is 600, she pays 100 out of pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting