Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 05:48 PM

3 posts, read 50,730 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I really need help.

My roommates and I live in Washington state.

We live on the bottom floor of a 4 story complex. All of the balconies are aligned on the same side, and recently, our upstairs neighbors have been throwing trash on to our patio.

I contacted our property manager and after 2 calls and no response (she has been pretty flaky recently), I sent in a written complaint. She finally responded a few hours later saying she had a posted notice on the 3 units above us, and will post another notice today.

I asked her to send someone over to clean up the litter, but she says it isn't possible. (And yet they have a full set of cleaners who tend to the complex.) I told her there is a used sock, cigarette butts, and an eaten apple core among other trash like jar lids and plastic wraps. I said that the sock, cigarettes, and apple are really unsanitary (it's disgusting - germs, bacteria...) and asked again if someone could at least pick up those few things. She again said no.

Is it really our responsibility to clean up someone else's trash? Is our property manager breaking any rules in saying no? Is there anything we can do about this? I really don't want to pick up someone else's cigarettes, used sock, or eaten apple core.

I am going to check our lease, but I specifically remember us signing something that said no smoking within a certain amount of distance in our complex.

If anyone has any insight I would really appreciate it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 06:17 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,202 times
The obvious answer is that whoever is throwing the trash should clean it up, but that is not going to happen.

It's also not realistic to expect the LL or PM to hike over every time the pigs upstairs toss a cigarette butt or apple core onto your patio.

The ball is in the LL / PM court now as far as getting the slobs upstairs to stop. What they are doing is interfering with your peaceful enjoyment of the premises (as well as violating fire safety law). If they don't cease, the LL could conceivably evict them. Whether they take it that far is their call.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:32 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,667,294 times
Buy some gloves and pick the stuff up. I hope the LL does something about it, and I'd be peeved, too, but no one else is going to take care of the trash on your patio.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:37 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesong View Post
I contacted our property manager and after 2 calls and no response
I sent in a written complaint. She finally responded a few hours later
This is the lesson.
Continue to press for a remedy and do ALL communication in writing.

Research the State/County law there for what rights you have exactly.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:37 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Buy some gloves and pick the stuff up. I hope the LL does something about it, and I'd be peeved, too, but no one else is going to take care of the trash on your patio.

I had the same problem! 4th floor apt with 2 above me! They would smoke snack leave toys out & the wind would blow it down on me! I clean it up & drop it along with a note to Clean their Patio when they are done sitting outside smoking! They got the message quick!

Old 09-23-2011, 07:09 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone! A big problem is that we don't know which of the upstairs units is the one throwing down garbage...

Old 09-23-2011, 07:20 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
How many times has this happened?

Old 09-23-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
How many times has this happened?
Hello! It has happened over at least a two or three weeks. First it was the cigarettes, then small trash, and now the sock and apple. But our landlord didn't respond about it until today, although she said she had already put up a notice.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:22 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Take a massage to Each apt! I dought they are Throwing stuff! Most Likely the wind is blowing it all over & its landing on you.

I dont mind you sitting out enjoying a smoke on your patio. BUT for my enjoyment Please empty the ash trays & clean up the trash so the wind dosent blow it on me.... Thanks! [just a sample]

Old 05-10-2018, 12:47 AM

4 posts, read 14,409 times
We are having this problem right now with our upstairs neighbors. They keep throwing trash down on our patio like cups, Q-tips, tissue boxes and paper wrappers, etc. and we have told management more than once and they keep saying they will talk to them but then it keeps happening.

The problem is they don't speak english so we cannot talk to them about it. Sometimes we even throw the trash back up to their patio and they just throw it back down to ours.

One time for no reason what so ever they threw a bucket of water down on our patio at 11pm so my sister squirted the hose up there, not on them, but, up there and they came out asking what is going on and we asked why did you throw a bucket of water down here and they said because we kept turning our porch light off and on and they thought we were trying to bug them! we said we had a mouse on our screen door and we were trying to see it to catch it. They went and told the managers that we squirted them with the hose so we explained what has been happening basically since we moved in a year and a half ago.

When we first moved in they complained about us smoking even though it is not a non smoking apartment so we complied and starting smoking outside but we think because of that they are just retaliating against us.

My sister tried to talk to them to ask them not to open and close their sliding door so much and so hard and the son who speaks english told her to shut the F up!

His mother is a clean freak and is constantly running the water in the tub possibly to wash clothes because there is always clothes hanging out to dry. She lays her soaking wet mop against the railing so it drips down to our patio too. I even reported her to the water company that she is wasting water and we are in a drought but I don't know if they came out and talked to management.

When management told me about the letter I wrote to Property Management saying I told them that the manager's are not doing anything, she says, you have to let me know the problem so I can address it and you have the option to move to another unit but it would cost more so no we cannot do that, they should have to move because they won't stop harassing us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting