Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 11:58 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

Ok, we are living in a rented house, have been here a little over a year. The house was vacant for about a year until we moved in. Its a lovely house, nothing seemed amiss when we moved in.

But, for the past few months, I kept "hearing things". it sounded like my dh coming home, or the kids, someone at the door. I hear someone at the door, then footsteps. When I say who's there, whatever it is goes away, that is, I don't hear any more noises.

Today, my dd was home alone and heard the same noises, like we were coming in the front door. The door was unlocked, so whoever it is doesn't appear to have a key. I kept being told I was imagining things, or it was the cats, etc, but today dd hear it, too. She called out is that you, then heard the door softly close.......

I can't imagine what someone would want in here they would go to such efforts to keep coming back? I mean, random robberies are just that, random. They hit a neighborhood, take what they can get, and skidadle. they don't keep coming back, unless.....there's something there they want. But what

I'm starting to wonder if the previous tenants left something behind, like money, or drugs, etc What should I look for and where? Oh, and BTW, we got an alarm system installed, might get a gun........and why would this "mystery person" keep trying the front door?You'd think he'd go through the back.....this is freaking me out, I can't even sleep at night

Old 02-26-2012, 12:04 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Sounds like the house is haunted. A previous owner likely died and his/her ghost is knocking about your residence. Look up the title history of your property - you will probally find someone died in the house.

Check out this site - myabe these people can help you. The Ghost Investigators Society, specializing in EVP research, 100's of recorded ghost voices.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:05 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Keep the doors locked at all times and set the alarm.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:57 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,969,066 times
Did your landlord change the locks on your doors prior to you moving in?

If not have the locks changed and keep the doors locked and the alarm set.

Find out who has keys to the house.

Caution daughter to always lock the doors and set the alarm when she is home alone.

We have an alarm system and the whole neighborhood can hear ours when it goes off. So perhaps your alarm system will stop whoever is entering your home. We have security cams outside with a monitor in the house and we know who pulls up in our driveway and who is at our front or back door. You and your family need to always set your alarm until you find out who is entering your home and keep the doors locked.

Are you familiar with the use of a weapon? If so purchase a gun but only if you know how to handle one. Then don't just call out who is there, don't speak, just walk in the room to see who is there with your gun. You can have the gun loaded without a bullet in the chamber.

Or ... your house is haunted. LOL

Old 02-26-2012, 06:38 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Keep the doors locked at all times and set the alarm.
Best straight up advice. This is an eerie story. Have you asked neighbors if they have seen anyone at the door or by the house? This sounds more like a living person coming to the house, Which is a concern because there must be a reason they are returning "home." If it is a ghost then you really have no worries (I am being hypothetical as I am not a 100% believer in this yet.) Stay safe and alert.

Last edited by D. Scott; 02-26-2012 at 07:05 AM..

Old 02-26-2012, 08:34 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Don't leave your doors unlocked.

If it still continues, change the locks (notify the LL and give he/she a copy)

You may want to look into a security camera or use a laptop with a web cam to record & monitor.

It could be the landlord, another thought would be to question the LL as to why the prperty was unrented for a year.

Do some research on the home too.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:47 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
No new advice: just really like what others have suggested.

Wanted to add . . . we had to put in a security camera to prove a neighbor was digging up our flowers, moving stones, coming in our home . . . She had mental health problems. But it didn't give her the right to take our belongings or rummage through our house! So I especially like the idea of a cam of some sort. They are very inexpensive these days!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:07 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Have you ever called the police? Essentially I agree w/ all the other posters.
Change the locks!!
Lock that door, all the time
Put cameras up.
Don't call out. Call the police. Hide. Hit your alarm button. Don't confront an intruder alone, ever.
It could be a nut case, neighbor, ex-boyfriend of previous tenant. Who knows. Do what one poster suggested, research past criminal activity.
The landlord was supposed to disclose any criminal activity there. Check state LL tenant laws for your area. Move if you feel your family is at risk. Seems very threatening, this person obviously knows you are at home. It may escalate....
I don't think it is a ghost. They wouldn't use the front door.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:12 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
I think changing the locks and a video camera are both good ideas. That will also help narrow down if the intruder is alive or dead (depending on if you believe in ghosts or not).

Old 02-26-2012, 09:52 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,982 times
I agree with the posters who suggest locking the doors, keeping the alarm on and putting up a video camera. Do you have any friends in the neighborhood that might be able to tell you about the previous tenants? I happen to believe in ghosts, but I would operate under the assumption it's a person until proven otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting