Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 04:07 PM

801 posts, read 2,566,721 times

Advertisements

I've been shopping for rentals and pretty shocked at some of the things that renters have posted in their reviews about the complexes/companies.

Some of the things that people write about in their comments are really bad -- exposed wiring, maintenance repairs that are left incomplete leaving holes in the ceiling, rampant bedbugs, leaky roof and mold, broken promises where the landlord has not provided an amenity listed in the contract.

These are things that if I couldn't get prompt action by the landlord -- I would immediately notify my lawyer or notify city code enforcement if it was a safety/zoning issue.

I've always had fairly good business relationships with my landlords. I treat them well, I try to get to know everyone in the office by name. When I have had problems that weren't resolved by phone the first time, it usually takes nothing more than a letter and a few photos, and a follow-up certified letter if necessary. Sometimes it takes a little hounding, but the squeaky wheel does get attention especially if the issue is justifiable. I've only needed to do that once in five years of renting.

It just astounds me what people put up with. If I had to deal with something awful in my apartment, I would move forward very quickly with sending notices to the city, the BBB, and taking the first steps toward legal action. Why do people tolerate bad landlords instead of addressing the matter and resolving it? Do people just not know that they have such rights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 04:15 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
A person can be evited for failure to pay rent for 2 months, or destroyed the property when the meth lab they had blew up, or was arrested for killing the maintance worker. Each one of those will most likely result ina negative comment from them posting about the place.

Don't rely on online comments, Good or Bad, about a place without visiting and seeing it for yourself. If you read these forum, you will often see people complaing about a major habitability hazard that need the EPA Emergency Response Team when all it is is a black spot from their shoe that they think is mold.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:21 PM

801 posts, read 2,566,721 times
Good point. When a company has 10 complaints/bad reviews, but hundreds of tenants every year, I really think that the problem is more likely the tenant's miscommunication or action. It seems pretty obvious that the company resolves the vast majority of issues without a problem.

But how do you explain the companies that have 30+ reviews and only 8% to 10% positives? There are some bad ones out there, and some people who maybe don't know how to use the proper channels to get action taken.

I guess reason #1 for my posting is that I'm watching out for myself, being overly concerned/cautious, and trying to determine who is good to rent from and who to avoid. But reason #2 for my posting is that I don't understand how things got so bad -- in so many communities, companies, and complexes.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:30 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
They didn't for the most part. Disgruntled renters, who got evicted or mad, for any reason post negative reviews. If they didn't get the security deposit back, or were charged for legitimate repairs, or asked to leave b/c'of a barking dog,'etc,'etc.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:46 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
If you asked 100 people who once rented and asked if they had a good experience. lets say 80 said they did. How many do you think have written a good reveiew? Maybe 1 or 2. Now do the same for those 20 who had a bad expereince and I bet 10 or more wrote a bad reveiew. When peopel are mad, especially if they deserved what they got, their only hope to "get even" or to get some "revenge" is that negative post. That is just human natur to vent so of course there will always be more bad than good post and ratings.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:56 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
not always true--i rented twice in another state and had excellent experiences---but upon moving here into this area,i have found horrendous places advertised for a large sum of money and landlords that do not respond to renter issues cause there is such a lack of availabity of places that are NOT located in slum areas(maybe 20% of what is available)----i would gladly pay a higher sum for a property that is well maintained and NOT IN A HIGH CRIME AREA or so far out in the country that in winter i would need a snowmobile to get to town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting