Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:04 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,506,580 times

Advertisements

If I buy something in the future because I am a light sleeper I am allocating budget for spray foam in all walls and mass loaded vinyl for carpet padding, best bang for the buck. Fortunately I rent a townhouse so it's built a bit better than standard apt and I have considerate neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 09:29 PM

986 posts, read 2,512,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
you should visit a store that sells sound equipment/electronics. See what they suggest. Or google. There must be some foam type stuff you could put against the wall that could soak up most of the sound. Those black/gray foam block looking things. There is probably better stuff on the market for homes that doesnt look bad. Even if you have to have a 10ftx 8 foot setion, it might be fairly cheap and worth it.

sound does get soaked up by stuff. Like carpet and drapes and furniture. The more tile and wood and and hard surfaces, the worse the sound is. This is why the sound catching stuff is foam.

I did a few web searches and found a company that sells stuff. There were many products that showed up on google. This is just one of them

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/
None of that will stop low bass wavelengths, which is why bass causes so many intractable nuisances! Only cement walls and floors will block significant bass, and it can still get through gaps.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:35 PM

986 posts, read 2,512,215 times
Default Not effective with bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Maybe too late for this but as another poster mentioned, it can sometimes be louder next door than in their place. Subwoofer placement and setup is key. If you get back on speaking terms with them offer to let them come over to your place and listen, then move the sub a few feet here and there and come back. Try lots of locations around the room. They might find that the sound is much better for them and less for you in certain places. Then you should have them use a HT reference disc to make sure their levels are correct.
Those sorts of suggestions are a form of denial and usually not worth much. You are framing it as a technical situation when it's really an attitude problem. Low bass is omnidirectional and can't be blocked by anything less than thick cement, which is also imperfect at doing it.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:48 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,600,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
You live in multi-family housing. Comes with the territory. I lived in all sorts of dorms/condos/apartments. Noise problems in every single one. Didn't get any peace until I moved into a single family house.
Exactly i lived in apartments pretty much all my life and noise and other issues same thing different day different location. Even if the noise is unintentional it still sucks. Then you have to worry about creating your own noise to not disturb the neighbors. Humans are not meant to live that close together.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:34 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,775,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
You live in multi-family housing. Comes with the territory. I lived in all sorts of dorms/condos/apartments. Noise problems in every single one. Didn't get any peace until I moved into a single family house.
This hits the nail on the head. I know it is not what you want to hear, but I have lived in low-scale buildings and expensive ones. The only peace I ever had was when I was living in a single family home. I have also found reporting neighbors - no matter how inconsiderate they are - will only result in two things: no change, or retaliation.

In my experience, management DOES NOT CARE as long as rent is paid on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting