Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Carpet or Wood Floors, your preference please?
Wood Floors 30 71.43%
Carpet 11 26.19%
Tile or something else entirely 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:22 AM

747 posts, read 1,682,759 times

Advertisements

Wood floors always! They look nicer, are not as germy, not bad for allergies, and as long as you care for them correctly will last forever and shouldn't need replaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 08:49 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Developers building cheap apartments use carpeting. It's not even nice carpeting but some kind of synthetic stuff that is ugly and feels sort of hard. It doesn't cost much money and there's only plywood underneath so that's why they do it.

It's a pain to keep clean, vacuuming all the time and spot cleaning and then having it professionally cleaned because you can't really clean it properly yourself. It gets to smell and it harbors dust mites which cause allergies.

I've always try to get hardwood floors. Sweep them when you want to, add a few area rugs that you can out and shake the dust out of. It's much cleaner and healthier. Prettier by far.

I won't even get into the toxic chemicals in new carpeting that give people asthma or other problems. Hardwood is like 99% to 1% over carpeting.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:54 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
From How Stuff Works:

When choosing a carpet, remember that they're often treated with special chemicals to neutralize or repel offending particles. Buy carpet labeled low VOC (volatile organic compound), which limits the use of substances such as formaldehyde and benzene. These common carpet treatments convert to gas over time and enter the air, affecting indoor air quality and exacerbating allergies. You'll also want to ask carpet retailers about other "green" extras, such as carpet padding and glue.
But no matter which carpet type you choose, dust, pollen and other allergy-aggravators are still in there, so get rid of them. Vacuum regularly, shampoo, and/or steam-clean carpets. Use a deep-cleaning vacuum, regular professional carpet cleaning sessions or invest in a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter, which traps allergens; some vacuums are even equipped with them.
Allergens sink into the carpet and out of the air, but clean as often as you like, they're still down there and they circulate.

Hard floor coverings offer no haven for allergies -- they just sit on the surface. They're easier to clean than carpets -- a simple sweep and vacuum quickly gets rid of allergens. Materials used to make hard floors (organic and synthetic) include cork, tile, linoleum, bamboo, wood and woodlike laminate.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
I prefer a smooth, tight carpet over wood flooring in the living room,
but I like wood in the dining room. Stairs can go either way, but if
wood, need a carpet runner. In bedrooms also carpet.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:10 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
From How Stuff Works:

When choosing a carpet, remember that they're often treated with special chemicals to neutralize or repel offending particles. Buy carpet labeled low VOC (volatile organic compound), which limits the use of substances such as formaldehyde and benzene. These common carpet treatments convert to gas over time and enter the air, affecting indoor air quality and exacerbating allergies. You'll also want to ask carpet retailers about other "green" extras, such as carpet padding and glue.
But no matter which carpet type you choose, dust, pollen and other allergy-aggravators are still in there, so get rid of them. Vacuum regularly, shampoo, and/or steam-clean carpets. Use a deep-cleaning vacuum, regular professional carpet cleaning sessions or invest in a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter, which traps allergens; some vacuums are even equipped with them.
Allergens sink into the carpet and out of the air, but clean as often as you like, they're still down there and they circulate.

Hard floor coverings offer no haven for allergies -- they just sit on the surface. They're easier to clean than carpets -- a simple sweep and vacuum quickly gets rid of allergens. Materials used to make hard floors (organic and synthetic) include cork, tile, linoleum, bamboo, wood and woodlike laminate.
Ha Ha.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on-to-dc View Post
I have looked at lots of rental homes and townhouses and apartments in my long trip to the DC looking for a place to live. I grew up in carpeted homes and much prefer it. It reminds me of the good old days but the wood floors being promoted so hard by landlords and rental agents are a complete turnoff, especially this time of year. They seem cold and I suspect noisy.

For all the people bad mouthing carpet we sure have seen lots of carpet stores in the area.

What is your preference in a living room? Wood Floors or Carpet. (High Quality of both of course to even the competition!)
Carpet, by far.

Much more comfortable to walk on in bare feet.

However, I like sliding in my socks on laminate floors.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
Difficult poll....

Wood floors in the living & bed rooms; however, tile in the bathrooms & kitchen. Especially with pets & kids!

Old 01-16-2013, 11:53 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I have posted this before but, every test done on floors determined that there are fewer airborne allergens with carpet than with wood.
My sons allergist just ordered us to rip out the carpet! As a renter I cant do that [wish I could] So Your statement dont hold water ...so to speak!

Old 01-16-2013, 02:20 PM

584 posts, read 1,936,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
My sons allergist just ordered us to rip out the carpet! As a renter I cant do that [wish I could] So Your statement don't hold water ...so to speak!
i think he owns a carpet store or he is the spokesman for the carpet and throw ass. in clean rooms in homes for people that need the air filter thing because of health reasons are tile floor. no carpet allowed.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:06 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,583 times
Hardwood without a doubt! Carpeting is vile and chock full of germs and bacteria. I cannot believe that apartments with carpeting are advertised as "luxury".

I tend to just get a cheap area rug for my floors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting