Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 AM

232 posts, read 1,655,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
ROFL!!!

Oh, that's right...you deserve all this free money because you're poor.
It sounds like CarlitosBala was being sarcastic in his post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 AM

912 posts, read 5,266,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Curious View Post
UPDATE: I was turned down for the apartment in the fancy complex in Rockville MD.
Bummer. I'm sure there are other nice places in the area that you can check out.

Quote:
They said my score was too low but even after asking to speak to the management and contacting the corporate office to appeal their decision,
This ain't court, its a private business. You can't "appeal" their decision or force yourself on them any other way.

Quote:
no one would tell me what the minimum score was to be accepted, or what my score was, or what I could do to get my score up to a minimum level.
Its not their place to discuss or divulge this information, they should look at every applicant under the same circumstances and see whether it meets their criteria or not. If you want to better your credit score, you need to see a financial planner or debt consolidation, it is not their job nor responsibility to help you better your score in any way. You are just barking at the wrong tree. Remember, its not all about score, maybe your income is at a level where they think you can barely afford the place, or maybe not be able to afford it at all.

Quote:
They would not tell me what was in my background that caused them to turn me down.
Again, in order to avoid legal problems, a smart LL or property managment would never discuss this with you. On the other hand, in your denial letter, they should have stated WHERE they got this information, so you can seek it yourself and see whats on there.

Quote:
I am stumped and always thought that I had a life full of doing my best and living a moral life. The whole system for approving people for apartments is flawed.
No system is perfect, but the current one works pretty well. You are not owed this apartment and are not entitled to it. You need to see what comes up in your background and credit check and go form there.

Quote:
I would have been a model tenant and would have paid my rent on time.
Do this for a few years, no mishaps, and maybe then you'll get a "nice" place.

Quote:
FYI: I checked my FICO score and it is average down a bit due to a period a few years ago when I could not pay my credit cards on time but that is all behind me now and I have basically no debt. I have no criminal issues.
"Between 700 & 850 = Very good or excellent credit score
Between 680 & 699 = Good credit score (The Average American Credit Score = 682)
Between 620 & 679 = Average or OK score.
Between 580 & 619 = Low credit score
Between 500 & 579 = Poor credit score
Between 300 & 499 = Bad credit score"

Do you mind sharing where you fit on this scale just to give us an idea?

Old 01-11-2013, 10:10 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,055,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridacara View Post
It sounds like CarlitosBala was being sarcastic in his post.

ya think?

Old 01-11-2013, 10:23 AM

32,678 posts, read 48,163,278 times
It goes beyond wanting a tenant who will pay the rent and not damage property. In nice apartment buildings, the existing tenants do not want to live next to criminals or deadbeats. That's another reason why applicants must pass a screening process to get into nice housing. A tenant who behaves badly will drive good responsible tenants out.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It goes beyond wanting a tenant who will pay the rent and not damage property. In nice apartment buildings, the existing tenants do not want to live next to criminals or deadbeats. That's another reason why applicants must pass a screening process to get into nice housing. A tenant who behaves badly will drive good responsible tenants out.

Funny story....a new family (single mom and one kid) moved in less than a month ago. We've already had issues with her teenage son (doesn't live here) blasting his rap music in her car, in the parking, at 10pm. We've also had issues with her leaving bags of trash on her front patio which is attracting racoons and stray cats.

So two days ago she's moving stuff out of her place and I hear another neighbor ( I was outside on my patio) ask her if she was moving. She replied " Yeah, we hate it here!! They're complaining about everything we do and there's too many rules!!"

Trust me, I'm glad she's gone...we have no need for neighbors like that.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:06 PM

701 posts, read 1,693,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Funny story....a new family (single mom and one kid) moved in less than a month ago. We've already had issues with her teenage son (doesn't live here) blasting his rap music in her car, in the parking, at 10pm. We've also had issues with her leaving bags of trash on her front patio which is attracting racoons and stray cats.

So two days ago she's moving stuff out of her place and I hear another neighbor ( I was outside on my patio) ask her if she was moving. She replied " Yeah, we hate it here!! They're complaining about everything we do and there's too many rules!!"

Trust me, I'm glad she's gone...we have no need for neighbors like that.
I'm tempted to post a new thread entitled "Can I break my lease" complaining about an apartment I moved into with complaining neighbors and landlords and too many rules!

Old 01-11-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
I'm tempted to post a new thread entitled "Can I break my lease" complaining about an apartment I moved into with complaining neighbors and landlords and too many rules!
I'm sure there would be plenty of replies from tenants who feel they were wronged, taken advatange of, and treated poorly because they were expected to follow the rules.

I have to tell you that when I heard what she said I literally laughed right out loud.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,268 times
Quote:
UPDATE: I was turned down for the apartment in the fancy complex in Rockville MD. They said my score was too low but even after asking to speak to the management and contacting the corporate office to appeal their decision, no one would tell me what the minimum score was to be accepted, or what my score was, or what I could do to get my score up to a minimum level. They would not tell me what was in my background that caused them to turn me down. I am stumped and always thought that I had a life full of doing my best and living a moral life. The whole system for approving people for apartments is flawed. I would have been a model tenant and would have paid my rent on time.

FYI: I checked my FICO score and it is average down a bit due to a period a few years ago when I could not pay my credit cards on time but that is all behind me now and I have basically no debt. I have no criminal issues.
I'm a newby here, but I've been looking into rental law in MoCo over the last few weeks. According to this document ( http://www6.montgomerycountymd.gov/c...lthandbook.pdf ) from MoCo department of housing and community affairs,
Quote:
Application Fee – A landlord is allowed to charge a prospective tenant
a non– refundable Application Fee. However, if the Application Fee exceeds
$25.00, and no tenancy occurs, the landlord must return any money in excess of
$25.00 not spent on the credit check, or be liable for twice the amount of the fee
as penalty.
So, it's possible that they need to either refund $25 of the $50 to you or explain/document the application fee. If you look a little further down in the link above (sorry - don't know how to create URL links in this site), you may be able to employ the CoreLogic Safe Rent program to understand why you were denied.

I suggest that an apartment complex may be less likely to accept your application, but that an independent landlord may be more willing. Good luck.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:40 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,284,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Boy is that the truth! I would NEVER live in an apartment building that didn't strictly screen tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting