Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,352,869 times

Advertisements

This is like No Humans Need Apply .... WOW I just move on. So who gets to Score them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 AM

32,680 posts, read 48,196,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Curious View Post
I read some where that statistically Blacks and Hispanics of the same income level are more likely to have lower credit scores so if a 100 Blacks or Hispanics at random applied for the apartment at the fancy complex, then there is a much better chance that they will be turned down. The scoring system seems racist to me.
Your credit score is based upon your behavior, not upon who you were when you were born. Everybody has exactly the same opportunity to determine their own credit score. It has nothing to do with race. If you want a good credit score than pay back any money you borrow. That's all there is to it.

Criminal record is based upon behavior, also. If you don't want a criminal record, make the choice to not break the law. That's all there is to it. The world os full of Blacks and Hispanics who have made the choice to not break the law and they don't have criminal records. Minorities are not issued with criminal records when they are born just because of their race. Criminal records are earned by behavior that is a choice.

OP, if you don't feel comfortable paying $50 processing fee, then move on and apply elsewhere instead.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:09 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,063,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
This is like No Humans Need Apply .... WOW I just move on. So who gets to Score them?

Actually, it's 'no deadbeats' need apply. Landlords do these background checks for a reason and I've found that those who complain about them are those who can't get approval.

You want approval in a nice apt complex? Don't be a deadbeat. Pay your bills and pay them on time. Don't live beyond your means. It's really that simple.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 PM

701 posts, read 1,694,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Actually, it's 'no deadbeats' need apply. Landlords do these background checks for a reason and I've found that those who complain about them are those who can't get approval.

You want approval in a nice apt complex? Don't be a deadbeat. Pay your bills and pay them on time. Don't live beyond your means. It's really that simple.
What a concept!

Old 01-09-2013, 01:41 PM

912 posts, read 5,267,816 times
Quote:
You are just a crazy lady! I'm on Section 8, unemployed, and I allow my dogs to go in the house. They won't rent me the penthouse luxury suite at the new river-front high-rise. ITS RACISM!! SOMEBODY HAS TO PAY FOR THIS! (<-- besdies my rent and other expenses!)

Old 01-09-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
You are just a crazy lady! I'm on Section 8, unemployed, and I allow my dogs to go in the house. They won't rent me the penthouse luxury suite at the new river-front high-rise. ITS RACISM!! SOMEBODY HAS TO PAY FOR THIS! (<-- besdies my rent and other expenses!)

ROFL!!!

Oh, that's right...you deserve all this free money because you're poor. What was I thinking??? I was actually expecting you to get a job, pay your own bills and actually support yourself and your family!!

I'm so stupid to expect that from you...please forgive me and as a token of my repentance, please accept this free prepaid cellphone!!!

Oh, and yes, I'll be more than happy to pay that 38% taxrate as long as I know you're fed and have a roof over your head.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
What a concept!

I know, I know, I have very high expectations. Someday, and I doubt anytime soon, the rest of the world will catch up with me.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:08 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,778,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
OP,You are entitled for a free credit report from all three major agencies once per year. I suggest that you get yours for free and see where you stack up.

I use a landlord/tenant screening process, and they pull all credit reports, national police and court records on a person and then they give me a score based on that. The tenant screening process looks for lifestyle, and not race.

So if you have been late in paying bills, or have an eviction in your record, or are otherwise a terrible tenant, it is not racist in the least bit to get denied from renting the nicer places. Its what makes them nicer in the first place.
To benefit the OP you might let him know how to access this information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Try reading and learning, Katie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, if you don't feel comfortable paying $50 processing fee, then move on and apply elsewhere instead.
Where did the OP mention a $50 "processing fee"?

Quote:

There's a valid point to be made there.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:14 AM

26 posts, read 72,943 times
Default I was rejected!

UPDATE: I was turned down for the apartment in the fancy complex in Rockville MD. They said my score was too low but even after asking to speak to the management and contacting the corporate office to appeal their decision, no one would tell me what the minimum score was to be accepted, or what my score was, or what I could do to get my score up to a minimum level. They would not tell me what was in my background that caused them to turn me down. I am stumped and always thought that I had a life full of doing my best and living a moral life. The whole system for approving people for apartments is flawed. I would have been a model tenant and would have paid my rent on time.

FYI: I checked my FICO score and it is average down a bit due to a period a few years ago when I could not pay my credit cards on time but that is all behind me now and I have basically no debt. I have no criminal issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Your credit score is based upon your behavior, not upon who you were when you were born. Everybody has exactly the same opportunity to determine their own credit score. It has nothing to do with race. If you want a good credit score than pay back any money you borrow. That's all there is to it.

Criminal record is based upon behavior, also. If you don't want a criminal record, make the choice to not break the law. That's all there is to it. The world os full of Blacks and Hispanics who have made the choice to not break the law and they don't have criminal records. Minorities are not issued with criminal records when they are born just because of their race. Criminal records are earned by behavior that is a choice.

Last edited by Very Curious; 01-11-2013 at 07:14 AM..

Old 01-11-2013, 06:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,778,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Curious View Post
They would not tell me what was in my background that caused them to turn me down.
Obviously there is something that comes up in an extended background check and until you do that background check on yourself (and it's not going to cost you a fortune) the same thing will probably come up over and over again and will continue to stymie and frustrate you. There could be something in there which is incorrect but is lowering your overall score. The ball's in your court. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting