Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 04:48 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
you sound like you may be mental the cops will not give a dam you heard them laughing or what not just that a nutter pounded on someone door at 1 am and made them feel unsafe, it would be all on you not a possible noise complaint . but a possible crazy fool meaning to do harm. but you would get a nice free ride in the deal and a free hotel room for the night

You can believe that if you want
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 05:26 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
I rent from a private LL who has a three-family house. When I went to check the house and the apartment (3rd fl), my LL mentioned how he was happy that I walked up the stairs quiet, and set some ground rules about no loud parties, and he's looking for professionals and to keep it nice and quiet. Well, yeah, sure I am not into parties, I am a very quiet person and was happy that I wouldn't have loud neighbors as well...well that's wrong. Come to find out, a family with a million kids live down stairs. I am hear the doors slam and them run up and down the stairs, talk to each other at all hours of the night and so on. I thought that was pretty hieratical, but I am sure he's never lived with these people, so how would he know?

From what I gather, this family has been there for several years, and I am sure they will be there for a very, very long time. They probably pay more rent than I, as well. From a business stand-point, but I ruffle feathers and complain about the noise, I could get evicted (ok that's extreme). Bottom line- deal with it, "call out" the LL about the noise, or just move? I am on a M2M contract.
I would definitely move.

This is why I won't rent to families, even though I get several calls from folks with kids when I advertise on the college rental site - my solid rental base is students and the noise caused by young children can aggravate students trying to study/sleep past 7am/toys left all over the yard... and students can aggravate families that have young children with the weird hours they keep, parties, lots of friends coming and going,
etc.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:12 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
I would definitely move.

This is why I won't rent to families, even though I get several calls from folks with kids when I advertise on the college rental site - my solid rental base is students and the noise caused by young children can aggravate students trying to study/sleep past 7am/toys left all over the yard... and students can aggravate families that have young children with the weird hours they keep, parties, lots of friends coming and going,
etc.

Be careful how you advertise that, you could end up in hot water.

I'd rather live to next a family then a bunch of college kids. College kids make a lot more noise than a family with 3 little ones.

The little ones go to bed at night, college kids party all night. The little ones don't fight with their bffs, bfs, gfs, in the parking lot in the middle of the night. Little ones don't leave beer cans and food wrappers all over the place, college kids dont' care and leave crap wherever they want.

We had 4 college kids living right next door; they were evicted after 6 mths because of all the noise, yet we have several families in this building that have lived here for years without any noise complaints. Yup..give me the little ones.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:34 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
I rent from a private LL who has a three-family house. When I went to check the house and the apartment (3rd fl), my LL mentioned how he was happy that I walked up the stairs quiet, and set some ground rules about no loud parties, and he's looking for professionals and to keep it nice and quiet. Well, yeah, sure I am not into parties, I am a very quiet person and was happy that I wouldn't have loud neighbors as well...well that's wrong. Come to find out, a family with a million kids live down stairs. I am hear the doors slam and them run up and down the stairs, talk to each other at all hours of the night and so on. I thought that was pretty hieratical, but I am sure he's never lived with these people, so how would he know?

From what I gather, this family has been there for several years, and I am sure they will be there for a very, very long time. They probably pay more rent than I, as well. From a business stand-point, but I ruffle feathers and complain about the noise, I could get evicted (ok that's extreme). Bottom line- deal with it, "call out" the LL about the noise, or just move? I am on a M2M contract.
It's difficult to keep kids totally quiet; they are naturally noisy critters to say the least. If you are on a month to month rental then I would anticipate having to look for another place at some point. If you speak directly to the parents, chances are you will make an enemy. If you talk with the LL then I would guess that he might not say anything for a couple of reasons. He might not want to lose the larger rental and he may also not want to create an issue between him and those tenants and you and the noisy tenants. It is a conundrum.
Bottom line, your Landlord should have told you that there were children below you. If it were me, I would sleep with my MP3 plugged in and during the day seek a quieter apartment.
Good Luck.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:16 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I figured it was no point in complaining about noisy neighbors which is why I decided in the past to handle it myself and scare the hell out of them by banging on their door at 1am with a look of rage

lol
If I were on the other side of that door you could have quite likely met with a bullet.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:19 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
If I were on the other side of that door you could have quite likely met with a bullet.

Well if people don't act like monkeys after 12am then I don't have to get wild

Old 04-24-2013, 01:51 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Well if people don't act like monkeys after 12am then I don't have to get wild

And if people didn't act like idiots and bang on people doors at 0100, they wouldn't get shot.

Florida has a 'stand your ground' law and I have no problem taking advantage of that law.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:07 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Quote:
But i am only acting out at 1am because I am being disturbed by noise from them. I don't go around yelling for nothing at 1am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
And if people didn't act like idiots and bang on people doors at 0100, they wouldn't get shot.

Florida has a 'stand your ground' law and I have no problem taking advantage of that law.
Yes exactly.. not to mention, my PTSD issues are going to make dealing with me at 1am if you come pounding and screaming a very very unpleasant experience for you!

Old 04-24-2013, 05:29 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Yes exactly.. not to mention, my PTSD issues are going to make dealing with me at 1am if you come pounding and screaming a very very unpleasant experience for you!

I won't pound on the door but I will be talking in a angry tone in the hallway.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:30 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would see if I could find a small home to rent where you only have outside neighbors or a building that is geared toward adults only or older adults. Of course all of this depends on your age and if you would qualify and your budget.
One of the few sensible posts in this entire thread..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting