Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:17 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilteacherNV View Post
sorry buy you all are WRONG no written notice from the LL about my rights to a pre move out inspection is all i need to win! He should have kept nothing. I told him in a letter I would pay only $30 toward the sink since I damaged it but there is no way now! He owes me everything back and than some
I am thinking that you are getting your advice from well meaning friends. I know a few people that have done the same thing. Maybe you need to consult an attorney that deals with rentals. They could give you the best advice. You came here asking for advice and it was offered from people that have a background in this sort of thing. Still we are a faceless majority to you the lonely renter out there on your own wondering what you should do. You really do not know what end is up. If you did I would guess that you would not have stopped by for advice. we are all wrong as you state. We, many of us that have delt with this issue and a few that have delt with it from both sides of the issue. All of us are telling you that you don't have a case because we have been there. Still we are all wrong and you are right. Would love to know which of your friends gave you that advice. Would also love to take the day off and go to court to see how things turn out. That would give me a bit of entertainment value.

Please continue to offer your perspective on the subject. I have been enjoying how this is playing out. My big reason for being here at City Data Forum is for the entertainment value and you my friend are offering plenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 10:19 AM

67 posts, read 98,425 times
Thats alot of money for someone to keep for no reason. I thought we were pretty good friends even thats why I even gave verbal notice I was moving out!

My Points - Im saying we did a pre move out inspection around 2 weeks before I moved out. He told me everything was fine. He never gave me anything in writing as to what needed to be fix.

When I gave notice he never gave me in writing my rights to the move out inspection. Just because I claim we had one and i was aware of one doesnt count. It had to be in writing from him first.

He claims we never had a move out inspections because I wasnt around and never set up a time. And he left a "note" asking he is wanted on still on my door. No way to prove that in court!

I moved out a few days early and left the keys in his mail box because I thought everything was fine. I didnt need to see him for that reason. Keys not handed to the landlord inperson is fine from what I have seen. Plus he has no proof Ill say I handed them to him if I have too.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:21 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
yes he had to sign for it, I never sign for his letters though Im not stupid like him! Just because I admit in the letter I will pay to fix the sink but I feel I shouldnt pay the whole amount doesnt mean in the end I should since he didnt follow the law. He cant use my letter in court for that reason! I know he will say "look she wrote a letter saying she did the damage and will fix it" And as far as the carpet cleaning he would HAVE HAD to tell me in the pre move out inspection to clean them. Just because the lease says that it doesnt fly!

"Plus, does he have any emails or texts regarding trying to schedule the inspection with you"

No because as far as I can tell Im saying we did it 3 weeks before and he said everything was fine. I worte him in that same letter and said he told me everything was fine when we did the walk thru. I think it was 2 weeks not 3 before I moved out anyhow. But since I never got anything in writing he cant keep anything!
Still amused. Legal documents such as a lease have a lot of weight with the court. You didn't clean the carpets but the lease states that you have to. This is getting good. Please continue with your ideas on the law. It is so facinating to read what you write.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:25 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Plus he has no proof Ill say I handed them to him if I have too.
Please share that little gem with the court. Judges love nothing more than self-avowed perjury.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:32 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
What sucks is after she loses she won't come back here to update what really happened. She already said she would lie in court if she had to so now there is no reason to trust anything she says.

In fact I'm beginning to think this thread is just one big troll and fake.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:33 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Thats alot of money for someone to keep for no reason. I thought we were pretty good friends even thats why I even gave verbal notice I was moving out!

My Points - Im saying we did a pre move out inspection around 2 weeks before I moved out. He told me everything was fine. He never gave me anything in writing as to what needed to be fix.

When I gave notice he never gave me in writing my rights to the move out inspection. Just because I claim we had one and i was aware of one doesnt count. It had to be in writing from him first.

He claims we never had a move out inspections because I wasnt around and never set up a time. And he left a "note" asking he is wanted on still on my door. No way to prove that in court!

I moved out a few days early and left the keys in his mail box because I thought everything was fine. I didnt need to see him for that reason. Keys not handed to the landlord inperson is fine from what I have seen. Plus he has no proof Ill say I handed them to him if I have too.

Landlords and renters are NEVER FRIENDS, the landlord is in the business of making money off of his investment of rental property, nothing more. The renter is just that a "renter" who means nothing but steady income for the landlord IF they pay their rent on time as they are supposed to and follow all requirements in the lease they signed, which by the way is a LEGAL DOCUMENT.

Please do let us know how court goes.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:42 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
I can't resist:

"Judge, I KNOW my lease says I have to pay rent but the stupid landlord didn't send me written notice that I had to do it so I didn't. I want back all the rent I didn't pay because all my friends say he owes me."

Old 08-15-2013, 10:42 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Good luck convincing the judge that you were aware of the pre-move-out inspection, actually did one...but never got written notice of the right to have one.

And the landlord will say he did give you written notice, but never actually did an inspection, because you didn't respond. But the landlord was really fair about what he deducted from the rent, and his expectations of how clean the unit should be were clear as a bell in the contract.

Who would I think was lying here? Should be a good show. Wish I could be there.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:48 AM

369 posts, read 844,226 times
You should take him to Jude Judy. She will tear you apart.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:51 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepizza View Post
You should take him to Jude Judy. She will tear you apart.
She'd have to retire her, "I don't give a rat's patootie" standby retort through sheer overuse in just one case (even before all the "witness" friends are tossed out by Bird).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting