Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 10:16 AM

15 posts, read 50,321 times

Advertisements

We have been searching craigslist for a while now for a pet friendly rental, and nothing seems to be coming along. We found one and went to view it, only to find out it was a complete and utter dump. I was looking through the classifieds when I saw an ad for a company called LOCATORS that finds you your rental by means of having property owners coming to them to find tenants. I called because their ad stated many homes, all pet friendly and affordable for us, but they charge a fee of $169. Is this a scam? Should we just avoid these people and keep searching CL? Or is it completely normal to charge this fee? The guy on the phone said many landlords take this fee out of 1st months rent and there is a 100% money back guarantee (I guess if they don't find us our place). But $169 seems a bit steep for a service like this..Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 10:26 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
I can't comment on this particular company as I know nothing about them but you may want to post your query in the state-appropriate forum for local input. Have you contacted any real estate agents who deal in rentals? Again, I would post in the state forum to get referrals. Good luck!

Old 08-16-2013, 10:33 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I'd stick with Craigslist. No need for a tenant to pay a company in this day and age, normally.

Some areas are harder to find rentals that allow pets than others.

Where are you looking for a rental?

Some places, like New York regularly use other websites to list rentals, but I'm pretty sure the tenants don't pay the fees - the landlord does.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:35 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Oddly enough, People's Court yesterday had a case where the renter paid a broker $2800 to find and apartment (think it was in NYC). When the renter moved out after 1-2 days, he wanted his money back. Judge ruled in favor of the broker.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the comments. We are looking in Northeast PA, I suppose posting in my state's forum for a referral wouldn't hurt! We found our current rental from a real estate agent, and after a horrible outcome, will never be going through a real estate agent for a rental again. Back to craigslist I suppose!

Old 08-16-2013, 01:07 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellySue301 View Post
Thanks for the comments. We are looking in Northeast PA, I suppose posting in my state's forum for a referral wouldn't hurt! We found our current rental from a real estate agent, and after a horrible outcome, will never be going through a real estate agent for a rental again. Back to craigslist I suppose!
You might try posting a rental wanted ad on Craigslist. Otherwise, the only other thing I can think of is to contact property management companies in the area. You can find them by looking at their ads on Craigslist.

I did find these websites, too:

Apartments for Rent | Houses, Condos and Townhomes Rental Listings - Apartments.com

Pennsylvania Apartments for Rent & Apartment Rentals in Pennsylvania - Zillow

Good luck

Old 08-16-2013, 01:36 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Craigslist is the worst place to look for a rental. Too many scams. Why waste your time when you can do all of this on your own? Call property management companies and ask about their rentals. Go to different complexes in your area and stop in and get some info about the place.

Drive around the area you want to live and look for 'for rent' signs...private landlord will sometimes put up signs, property managers and real estate companies will too.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:03 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'd stick with Craigslist. No need for a tenant to pay a company in this day and age, normally.

Some areas are harder to find rentals that allow pets than others.

Where are you looking for a rental?

Some places, like New York regularly use other websites to list rentals, but I'm pretty sure the tenants don't pay the fees - the landlord does.

On Long Island (NY), the TENANT pays the fee if it is listed on Multiple Listing Service.
Because agents do the pre-screening, etc. most (legal) landlords use MLS - they don't want to be bothered with the tedium and are glad they're not paying. It's one of the few areas in the US where the tenant pays the fee.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:40 PM

Thanks again everyone. I have had an ad posted to CL for a while, keep renewing it as well. We have been driving around looking for "For Rent" signs to no avail. We are specifically looking for a house, not a complex, and we'd like to be a bit secluded and not near all the traffic noise - which are all very hard to find rental wise! We will keep looking though, and will go through property management companies if it comes down to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting