Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 06:43 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,733,601 times

Advertisements

Tell them to be out by next week and offer to pay for the Uhaul and get some boxes for them. Tell them if they do not leave you are going to call animal control because your child's safety is at stake. Since this is a (former) friend, I would avoid the legal/eviction route and treat it like friends who have been staying with you. Once you start down the path of eviction, it's a long and frustrating journey where everyone loses money or chances to find future housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 11:03 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,852,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Tell them to be out by next week and offer to pay for the Uhaul and get some boxes for them. Tell them if they do not leave you are going to call animal control because your child's safety is at stake. Since this is a (former) friend, I would avoid the legal/eviction route and treat it like friends who have been staying with you. Once you start down the path of eviction, it's a long and frustrating journey where everyone loses money or chances to find future housing.
I'm rather inclined to agree. I'm flabbergasted that after letting these people move into your home in April you let the rent slide for so many months and, further, that you even for one day allowed them to move in an aggressive dog and put your own child at risk.

I hope for your sake that they move out as they said they will but, in the meantime, you need to cover yourself legally somehow or the other. At the very least have them sign a brief letter confirming their agreement to move out on such and such a date. Make two copies and have them sign both - one you keep and one they keep.

Yes, you can go a lot further with details but at this point - and given that they've agreed to move - stick to the basics.

If at some time in the future you decide to be a Good Samaritan and offer a needy friend a helping hand (and as difficult as this can be to do) get everything in writing and NO WAY do you ever let someone stay under your roof for even a month without their making some sort of a contribution. In this case you agreed to RENT to them so you should at the very least have had some sort of written agreement in place.

Good luck!

Old 11-05-2013, 11:08 AM

8 posts, read 119,371 times
Thank you for all your insight. Yes, they opted to say they will move out, but I was just posting for curiosities sake as they also said they'd pay rent, train the dog, etc....just always worried once a flake always a flake mindset.

Unfortunately, no, verbal contract nothing in writing.

At this point I feel the best option is to try and keep things as good as possible between us in the meantime hope they move out in the time they stated and if they do not, write them a letter giving them 3 days notice to remove the dog, have them sign it, and go from there.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
that you even for one day allowed them to move in an aggressive dog and put your own child at risk.
(Not sure if that is how you quote on here)

I want to keep this objective but I must make a personal comment here, he showed no signs at first, however the dog has changed. I simply kept my original post short and to the point no need to go into all the details as they are arbitrary to the goal of the post.

I can want to get rid of and hate the dog all I want, it does not give me the ability to circumvent proper procedure, I hope you can appreciate that.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertS123 View Post
I can want to get rid of and hate the dog all I want, it does not give me the ability to circumvent proper procedure, I hope you can appreciate that.
Unfortunately no, I don't.

You totally ignored "proper procedure" when you allowed these people who you say "rented" from you but paid no rent for six months.

Do you honestly think that there is "proper procedure" involved when these non-paying tenants brought into your house an aggressive dog with a history of biting a child when you have a child yourself?

I don't "get" for a moment your mindset on this and I have enough faith in most of the regular contributors to this forum to assume that they're likewise totally flummoxed by your response at the very least. Frankly I'm disgusted.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:53 AM

Ok well lets put it in simple terms for you to understand since you are struggling.

Yes, there is ALWAYS a proper procedure that's why we have law, so we can have order.

What I do in regards to helping people on their feet because I want to help those in need that are close to me, is my problem if you have a problem with that go start your own thread, that is not the topic here.

Their dog didn't have any issues at the time of moving in, so do not attempt to attack my integrity for my son.

Maybe you should get off your high horse from your lovely computer monitor. To my understanding this is a forum to assist people not try the only place in your life (the internet) your protected from making insulting comments.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:06 PM

Well thank you all the for your insight, I got the advice I needed a family friend (police officer) stopped by. Let me know my best option the 3 day pay or quit notice, and then give them a 30 day eviction notice, so incase for any reason they do not move out on their own accord, we are covered still.

There isn't a way to speed it up regardless of the animal situation.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:34 PM

819 posts, read 3,213,831 times
I really wish a friend that I let stay with me would have the nerve to bring in a dog that is aggressive to my child. They would both be out on the street.
Times have changed, back in the day - friends/family would just stay with each other and leave when they were told. Now it's all about court and evictions. tsk tsk

Old 11-05-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertS123 View Post
Ok well lets put it in simple terms for you to understand since you are struggling.

Yes, there is ALWAYS a proper procedure that's why we have law, so we can have order.

What I do in regards to helping people on their feet because I want to help those in need that are close to me, is my problem if you have a problem with that go start your own thread, that is not the topic here.

Their dog didn't have any issues at the time of moving in, so do not attempt to attack my integrity for my son.

Maybe you should get off your high horse from your lovely computer monitor. To my understanding this is a forum to assist people not try the only place in your life (the internet) your protected from making insulting comments.
I have no struggle at all with my comments which were simply based on your original post to which I responded with what I think is sage advice, followed by your subsequent rebuttal which simply irked me.

But you're right. It's your problem so, since you feel you have a handle on the whole situation then all is well and good and there was no need to ask for advice in the first place. Hope it all works out for you.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:34 PM

Yes, we have a handle, unfortunately for you, you are unable to read what the actual question was. Hopefully, one day you will grow up and learn the concept of being "objective".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting