Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 02:38 PM

8 posts, read 119,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertS123 View Post
...I understand typically they need a 30 day written notice, and possibly court if they string it out.

Is there any exception to this rule as the dog is a threat to our child (and their friends son he bit, that the father did not report) to expedite this, if they try to draw it out?

STT Resident: Seems like a straight forward question to me....

Worse part is I appreciate everyone else's feedback and trying to help me with this, but you just can't get over certain parts that aren't being requested to be addressed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 03:31 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,072,353 times
Quote:
STT Resident: Seems like a straight forward question to me....

Worse part is I appreciate everyone else's feedback and trying to help me with this, but you just can't get over certain parts that aren't being requested to be addressed

I suggest you call the Humane Society TODAY and report that there is an aggressive dog, with a bite history, living in your home and that you allow your small child around it. Not only that, but you've allowed that dog to stay in your home despite the fact that its aggressive and has bitten someone. That should get some things moving right along..........

Procedure is one thing, being stupid is another, kick them out...now. If they can't afford to pay you rent, do you really think they can afford to take you to court?

Old 11-05-2013, 10:55 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,201,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I........
Procedure is one thing, being stupid is another, kick them out...now. If they can't afford to pay you rent, do you really think they can afford to take you to court?
Filing a case in Small Claims Curt is not expensive. No lawyer needed. If the OP did not follow procedure he could end up with a judgement against him. He is not the one being stupid here.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:08 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,072,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Filing a case in Small Claims Curt is not expensive. No lawyer needed. If the OP did not follow procedure he could end up with a judgement against him. He is not the one being stupid here.

Yeah, actually he is. His friends are the smarts one because they were able to get free housing for how many months?

anyway, what would they sue him for? The rent they never paid? The deposit they never paid? What exactly would they get out of this? 30 more days in the home? There is no written lease, no receipts showing rents been paid, no receipts showing utilities have been paid, it's one person's word against another.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:58 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,793,568 times
Quote:
Yes, we have a handle, unfortunately for you, you are unable to read what the actual question was. Hopefully, one day you will grow up and learn the concept of being "objective".
And hopefully one day you'll grow up and develop the maturity to objectively recognize constructive criticism without reacting rudely to someone much older and wiser than yourself.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:31 PM

4 posts, read 1,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
If they chose to move out why evict? Unless they are saying that and not doing it. Since they are month to month you do need to give a 30 day notice, sent certified mail with return receipt, or else get them to sign a copy of the notice if they will cooperate. The eviction process starts if they refuse to move out after 30 days. You can't give a 3 day notice on the dog unless you had a previous written agreement that said no pets.

As for the dog being dangerous, I would just keep a baseball bat or other weapon handy and be ready to kill or beat off the dog the next time it attacks. And I say that as a huge dog lover. Dogs that attack children unprovoked do not deserve to live. I don't see a legal way for you to remove the dog from the household without first evicting the owners, a process that can take months. Maybe telling the owners how you intend to protect your child from the dog will encourage them to keep it under control.

I would NOT report it to child protective services. They will say you are keeping your child in an unsafe environment and take YOUR child. They won't do anything about your tenant's dog. Animal control might do something about the dog, but you would need the victim of the dog attack as proof, and it doesn't sound like that is going to happen unless another attack occurs--then it will be too late.

You are not required to give them 30 days notice if they are not current in their rent. Typically it would be 72 hours and if there is a dangerous condition you can typically give a 24 hour notice. I do agree about not calling child services although for different reasons. Check with your local laws but if your information is correct then the "nonpayment of rent" would be the simplest and the most likely to hold up in court

Old 12-29-2016, 05:26 AM

75 posts, read 60,190 times
Yes, you need to give evection notice and then you have to file evection with the courts. Visit your local courthouse to file your eviction and pay a fee. After the evection hearing, the tenant will have a set amount of time to leave the property.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:10 PM

35 posts, read 28,156 times
If they are violating the lease, you can serve them notice to fix or move (the timeframe varies by state). Otherwise you have to give them 30 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting