Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:20 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,492 times

Advertisements

To the landlords out there. Im thinking about getting into renting as a side business. I have a few friends that mentioned buying cheaper houses in "the hood" is a good way to get started as its a low cost of entry into the LL business. They suggested section 8 housing as theres a guaranteed paycheck.

That being said I see many houses in my area going for prices from 3k to 50k in "the hood." My question is in order to rent to section 8 does a house need central A/C or will Window units suffice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 08:21 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
My question is in order to rent to section 8 does a house need central A/C or will Window units suffice.
Really? That's your question?
Good luck brother.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:27 AM

No, thats not my only question. The question at hand, yes, is does Section 8 require central air. I thought it was a pretty straightforward question. The cost of central AC can be thousands for installation into a house which previously had no central AC.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:38 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
No, thats not my only question. The question at hand, yes, is does Section 8 require central air. I thought it was a pretty straightforward question. The cost of central AC can be thousands for installation into a house which previously had no central AC.
This forum is not the place to ask specific sec 8 questions like that. Call your local housing authority and ask them what's required of a sec 8 landlord and home.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:39 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
I'm sure if you do a quick search you'll find all the information about Section 8 requirements in your particular area. As far as I know it's not mandated - not even where I live in a tropical climate - but your local Section 8 agency would be the place to start for this and all related questions. Be aware that being a landlord is a serious business and shouldn't be undertaken unless you are fully educated as to your state landlord tenant laws, as well as Section 8 requirements if that's the route you plan to go ...

Old 11-18-2013, 08:42 AM

Right, Ive tried looking specifically and cannot find SPECIFIC building codes. Its my understanding that Section 8 is a Federal program and administered by HUD. So Requirements in FL would be the same as any other State. I figured it was easier to ask those that are currently LL's than sit on hold with HUD for three hours.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:48 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
I believe you're in Jacksonville and a few seconds search brought up this site amongst others which should probably answer your question as there are sections there for landlords:

Jacksonville Housing Authority

Old 11-18-2013, 09:14 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Call your local housing authority and ask them what's required of a sec 8 landlord and home.
Which is the ultimate answer to any S8 question.

Each office seems to operate on their own. Some do so rather well.. most don't.
If you're in J'ville (from what I've seen) you can consider yourself lucky.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:22 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,397 times
Were I am from (central florida) AC is not required by sec-8 but you will not rent it.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:41 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,397 times
Now to answer the other question buying low income houses. On a cash flow they will be the highest return of most any house you buy. With that said they will not be the most work, as many people will tell you. After you get a system and learn you will be fine. What I have found is find a lower working class area stay away from the war zone until you have been doing it for sometime. I buy by the 2% rule if you do the same you will be fine. The 2% means that my total cost to buy the property and get it ready to rent I need to rent it for 2% of that price. So a house that I have 50K in needs to rent for 1K its that simple. People will say no way, I just bought a house last week for 40k and 1k to close 8-10k to clean it up and it will rent for an easy 1100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting