Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 01:05 PM

159 posts, read 339,205 times

Advertisements

My landlord and I are in talks to extend my current lease. I am looking to relocate out of state in early 2014, but I am looking for jobs with no offers in-hand yet.

The LL offered to extend my current lease, rather than terminating too soon or renewing a full year that I can't commit to. I would have to confirm within the next day if I want to extend or terminate

My question is, is it a good idea to extend for a timeframe, even if it's short? I would end up paying a penalty if I got an offer out of state before my lease is up. I would not want to turn down an offer due to a lease. Also, I won't be able to sublease legally.

Should I just terminate and find a short-term housing situation while I look for out-of-state jobs? I like the stability of not having to find new housing, but at the same time, I may lose a large chunk of my deposit if I agree to an extension and need to relocate right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 01:15 PM

912 posts, read 5,262,618 times
Just ask him to go month-to-month. If they agree, either party needs to give 30 days notice before moving or requesting that you move.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:24 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
It is common when a lease expires for it to continue on a month to month basis, until such time as the landlord gives you notice that they want to change the terms of the lease. Even then you can even agree to a rent increase on a month to month basis with a simple amendment to the existing lease. Some states, or your lease may require more than 30 days notice to change or end the lease.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:49 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Do you know where you want to move yet? It is easier to find a job when you are already living somewhere. Hard to get out of state jobs.

If you already know where you want to move, I'd say give notice and go for it.

First, do as suggested above and ask the LL if you can just go month to month. I'm guessing that's not an option by the way you wrote your post.

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting