Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 01:52 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless in HOCO View Post
We have a woman in my building enrolled in the Metropolitan Baltimore Quadel and she has been a nightmare from the day she was allowed into our neighborhood. Unfortunately for us, Howard County forces us to live under some nonsense "mixed income" community rules. So even though we live in the suburbs and make a decent living we have some drug abusing, unemployed piece of garbage in our building and there's seeminly no way to get rid of her. I wish to God they'd do away with Section 8 and every other program like this. It does nothing but harm the people who have to tolerate living next to trash.
Section 8 is nothing more than the return of local tax dollars to the community through HUD...

It is possible for your city or county to refuse HUD money... this would end the program... in reality, once the program is in place, they do not go away.

The entire premise of Section 8 is to main stream low income families into communities they would not otherwise be able to afford...

The program came about in response to the Housing projects of the 50's and 60's where low income families were grouped together...

HUD has a Zero Tolerance for illegal drugs...

If you file a police report documenting illegal drug use and are willing to testify... one of two things are likely to happen... the family will move or, if the charge is proved... the family will loose all assistance and be out in the street.

There was a high profile case here a few years ago... eleven tenants in a twelve unit building filed police reports and supplied video footage to document illegal activity...

The family ultimately lost assistance and was evicted... if enough people are willing to stand and be counted... things will change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 04:08 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
That akward moment when you rate somebody's post only to realize that the thread is over 5 years old . . .
And no one notices still

Old 04-15-2012, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 8,424 times
i just bought a 4 units rental property for my retirement (! am 64) and one of the unit is rent to section 8 tenants but I want to remove or release the program from the property.
is it possible to remove or release the section 8 program on the property? then how and what to do?

Old 04-15-2012, 12:55 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjdqudgn48 View Post
i just bought a 4 units rental property for my retirement (! am 64) and one of the unit is rent to section 8 tenants but I want to remove or release the program from the property.
is it possible to remove or release the section 8 program on the property? then how and what to do?
Yes, you can end your participation in the Section 8 program but you should contact your local public housing authority to find out the procedure and what forms you need to fill out, etc. I believe you have to give existing tenants a year's notice.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:12 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
Yup, that's typically of Section 8.

The vast majority of section 8 users are ungrateful. They abuse the properties and assume the freebie is a given that will always be there.
The vast majority of Section 8 users are seniors.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:39 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
All depends of where the property is located and it is important that you as the owner know the applicable laws.

In my city it would not be permissible to ask a person to leave solely because of the tie to Section... we have Just Cause Eviction on the books and only several well defined reasons allow for eviction.

Check with the Housing Authority and go from there.

You might have mitigating circumstances such as consistent contract violations, late pay, damage, etc...

In short... make sure before you act.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:01 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Who's replying to what - this is quite a muddle of a thread ...

Old 03-10-2015, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 6,845 times
I'm now on my second Section 8 tenant.

The first one, two parents and 3 kids, one of the parents took off, then the other parent got late on the rent over and over, late on utilities, several 3 day notices to pay rent or leave, several "shut off" notices for water and garbage, then she had to "get outta Dodge" fast, left my rental in limbo, then squatters came in, then the police arrested the squatters. Then I started the clean up.

Second one, single mom and 3 kids, second month's rent is now 10 days late. Just sent her a 3 day notice.

I think I am done with Section 8 tenants. I thought the Section 8 program gave a landlord some protection, but it doesn't. It just makes renting a lot more complicated - all the extra requirements to qualify, the risks of being caught in some limbo situation with the tenant moving in and not getting paid by Section 8, or if the tenant loses their Section 8 status while renting, etc., the extra hassle of evicting a Section 8 tenant (90 day notice, aka 90 days free rent).

I'd like to meet and rent to some good, Section 8 tenants.

Tenant number one has now lost her Section 8 status. And tenant number two will lose her status if i have to evict her.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:15 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
A freind of mine is renting part of their duplex to a section 8 person and my freind also lives there too (2 separate apartments). Now after 2 mths she decides she does not want to rent to ANY section 8 people anymore and short of selling the duplex or geting an eviction what can she do to get out of the 1 yr contract she signed with HUD?
Is there a reason she doesn't want them there. If they are causing a disturbance it will be easier to get rid of them. If not just wait the year out, it actually goes by pretty quick, only 9 months to Christmas.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:29 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The vast majority of Section 8 users are seniors.
I know this is an old quote, but I've had 10 or 12 section 8 tenants over the years, and maybe 100 applicants on section 8. I don't think I've ever had a senior citizen on section 8, either as a tenant, or even as an applicant. So this might be true for some areas, or even for the country as a whole, but definitely not in my area. I would say perhaps a very small minority are seniors here.

I've successfully evicted 2 section 8 tenants over the years for not paying their share of the rent. That's about the only way to get them out, other than to not renew when their renewal is up.

I would say my percentages of "good tenant" vs "bad tenant" are about the same with section 8 as without.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting