Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 02:55 PM

42 posts, read 55,923 times

Advertisements

State of TX

My dad is a renter in a house in the state of Texas. He allowed my 18 y.o sister to move in with him due to the struggles of San Bernardino. She now has a job in Texas and makes about 1600 a month . The problem started when she told him of her plans to move her girlfriend in with her from Cali for a few weeks. My dad said absolutely not and she became soooo disrespectful to him. He stated that she doesnt pay rent and doesnt even clean. He told her if she did not appreciate him then she can leave his home and live with grandpa across the street. She then stated that she buys groceries and he would have to evict her.

She received mail at his residence from her job. What steps does my Dad have to take if he wants her gone?

Thanks .

Last edited by calixprynce; 11-12-2014 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 09:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
He can give her 30 days written notice to move out. They're basically roommates.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:19 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
She is a tenant if she's been there 30 days or more (in most states) regardless of whether she pays rent, has a lease or anything else. Your dad should consult someone locally who handles evictions or the court where evictions are heard, for some advice. It's possible he will have to go through a complete eviction proceeding to get her out. Or, if she is threatening him or conducting any illegal activities, he can call the police, file charges and get a restraining order. So sorry for such a problem, I've seen similar and it's never an easy thing. If she's planning on bringing another person in, he needs to act quickly before that happens.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:56 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
There are some excellent fact sheets available here Austin Tenants’ Council/Tenant-Landlord Fact Sheets which explain to a landlord all of their rights and obligations under Texas law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting