Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 11:40 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,655,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyRaptor View Post
So how do you recommend getting a place to rent before you move, when you have no friends or family in that area and can't afford to go see it first yourself?
I see a bigger issue here.

There isn't a place in the US that you can't go on an overnight for $750, maybe $1500 max. Round trip for 1 person and a cheap hotel. You can uber to 1 or 2 apartment complexes. Small price to pay to ensure you're making the right decision.

Just out of curiosity - where are the two cities you're moving between? Not drivable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 11:52 AM

8,189 posts, read 8,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyRaptor View Post
So how do you recommend getting a place to rent before you move, when you have no friends or family in that area and can't afford to go see it first yourself?
New poster picked a thread from 2015. Hello, new poster. Please check dates before you respond. If the topic is relevant to you, and you are not trying to remark on the OP, start a new thread. The posts that follow often don’t know about OP date.

Old 01-26-2022, 03:46 PM

30,737 posts, read 18,423,627 times
I did so when I moved to New Orleans. Everything worked out well then.

But I also did it when I moved to Sydney and got taken for $800, which was a poor law student at the time was a fortune. As a result, I was forced to live in a hostel until my student loans disbursed for the semester.

Do I recommend it? No, not even if you have family and friends who can scope out a place for you as their tastes may be different from yours. Still, sometimes circumstances require you to do so.

There are various ways to decrease the risk of being a victim of fraud (e.g. using a reputable agency/website/etc. to find a place), but folks who can't afford to travel down beforehand often may not be able to afford the services provided by reputable websites and agencies.

Old 01-27-2022, 11:51 AM

32,741 posts, read 48,386,146 times
Since this topic has come up again, I suppose that shows it is still relevant.

As a tenant I would not take the risk. The cost of a quick cheap trip vs a full year of over-paying for a crummy apartment in a bad neighborhood? It shouldn't even be a question.

If money is tight, which it must be if the cost of a quick trip is a budget breaker, then the tenant has to be looking for cheap rent, and at the cheap rent level, one must be extra careful because a lot of cheap places are cheap for a reason that makes them an undesirable place to live. Not all of them, but you must go and look at the apartment and at the neighborhood before you can tell which is which.

I'm landlord and I won't rent to anyone sight unseen. I only want tenants who are happy with my rental and no one knows whether or not they will be happy if they have never seen it. I also want tenants who will stay, not tenants who move in just long enough to find something they like better. I know a lot of landlords who will not rent sight unseen.So getting a good place is much more difficult if you don't go in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting