Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 09:27 PM

8 posts, read 19,499 times

Advertisements

Hey all, my family and I are planning on moving out of state and won't have the funds to go visit the city and find a rental beforehand, and we were planning on having a place already rented by the time we get there. I don't want to move into something sight unseen and end up with something completely rundown and unsuitable for us. For those who may have experience with this, would it make sense to have a friend go to the apartment and check it out for us before we commit? What do you think the landlord would think? Staying at an extended stay hotel isn't an option for us. Any tips are much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 12:23 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,051,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post
Hey all, my family and I are planning on moving out of state and won't have the funds to go visit the city and find a rental beforehand, and we were planning on having a place already rented by the time we get there. I don't want to move into something sight unseen and end up with something completely rundown and unsuitable for us. For those who may have experience with this, would it make sense to have a friend go to the apartment and check it out for us before we commit? What do you think the landlord would think? Staying at an extended stay hotel isn't an option for us. Any tips are much appreciated.
We've moved into 2 different apartments sight unseen. Both times we had family or friends look at the place before we made a commitment. My parents even looked at a few different apartments before we ended up deciding on one. None of the landlords ever had a problem with it.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:30 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,575,158 times
I retired from an apt mgr job last year in Silicon Valley (SF Bay Area) and rented to a lot of students and techies moving to the area from out of state or country. If they had a local friend or family member who wanted to look at the place on their behalf, that was fine with me. In fact, they often took videos and/or photos, and sometimes even Skyped with the prospective tenant, showing them the apartment and letting them talk to me, asking questions, etc.

So, from my perspective, it wouldn't be weird at all. All paperwork, credit checks, etc., can be done long distance.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:11 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,066,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post
Yea, don't do it. Not unless you can really, really trust that friend and their opinion on what's a 'nice' area and what's a 'not so nice area'. I'm too picky to allow someone else to make that decision for me.

I'd make the extended hotel an option....it's a win win. You store your things, live in the hotel for a month or two and find the place that works for you.

The landlord wont' think it's weird at all...people do this all the time for work, but they actually do some research before packing up the U Haul and heading across country

Old 01-17-2015, 05:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,783,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Yea, don't do it. Not unless you can really, really trust that friend and their opinion on what's a 'nice' area and what's a 'not so nice area'. I'm too picky to allow someone else to make that decision for me.

I'd make the extended hotel an option....it's a win win. You store your things, live in the hotel for a month or two and find the place that works for you.
I agree. It may well only take you a week or two at most to find a place which suits your family. Making such a move with a family is vastly different from that of a single student or "techie" moving for college or a job.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:31 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,510,084 times
As a landlord, we actually will not rent to someone who hasn't seen the house or had a 3rd party they trust see it for them. So not weird at all. We wouldn't rent to you otherwise.

And I agree, if there is ANY way you can see it for yourself, do that.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:24 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,022,418 times
I have been married to an aviation contractor for 30 years and a euro one at that. In Europe and in back in the states we always go the extended stay route. In some cities I think I would have just STAYED in the extended stay but seriously ,it helped me get out of a jam more than once from going through tons of credit checks to find the right place. When we moved to Seattle I went to an extended stay I booked through priceline ( or hotwire ) and got it for $30.00 a night . It's worth it and I still live near it !

Old 01-25-2022, 04:47 AM

8 posts, read 13,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
As a landlord, we actually will not rent to someone who hasn't seen the house or had a 3rd party they trust see it for them. So not weird at all. We wouldn't rent to you otherwise.

And I agree, if there is ANY way you can see it for yourself, do that.
So how do you recommend getting a place to rent before you move, when you have no friends or family in that area and can't afford to go see it first yourself?

Old 01-25-2022, 05:17 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,703,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

The landlord wont' think it's weird at all...people do this all the time for work, but they actually do some research before packing up the U Haul and heading across country
I have a friend who did this. I think his friend FaceTimed him when she was seeing the apartments. I stayed at the apartment he ended up renting and it was in a very convenient area where he could walk to the main shopping area in town and was across the street from a Trader Joe’s.

When I first moved to my current area, I rented a hotel room for a week (there were no Airbnbs in the area) and just did the apartment hunt when I got here.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:36 AM

34,130 posts, read 83,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyRaptor View Post
So how do you recommend getting a place to rent before you move ... ?
You go back to that wonderful employer offering you the job that doesn't pay enough to afford an extra trip.
Or is the problem deeper? That there isn't a new job to go to in the new town yet either?

Long Story Short: Extended Stay Motel for the week or so it takes to sort through the basics.
Maybe an extra week (or two) to work out the rest of the kinks.

eta: start your own thread rather than resurrect old ones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting