Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 01:21 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisChick View Post
From the above and your post before, it seems you are stuck in the part of your life where at some point you will own your own home. Your other choices of getting a degree/paying for it had to take precedence as it should, but this 'in-between time' is a paying your dues sort of thing. It does stink, but that's all you can afford. There are plenty of high end rentals, but it sounds like those are out of reach.

You are finding the typical things in lower end rentals. It doesn't mean the renters are worse nor the landlords. It just means you have higher standards than you can currently afford. Hang in there, focus on where and what type of place you do want to live and work that degree of yours until you get it.

Meanwhile, be the best renter you can and make sure you choose roommates that are like you in that regard. I have had plenty of good renters, but I've turned down plenty of good renters because they came with roommates that were not as qualified as them.

What if you don't have the luxury of choosing your roommates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I guess taking the financial investment risk and expecting a return doesn't really matter. LLs should keep the rent low why exactly?

Landlords need more competition in the form of expanded housing options which allow more people to become landlords and also allow more people to own homes. Currently, landlords enjoy a government-enabled captive market of rent slaves.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:25 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Rent Control definitely impacts residential rentals and a number of properties are being sold as single family homes in cities like San Francisco that had been converted into units.

Security Deposit... no matter the terminology is strictly regulated in my State as are just about every aspect of residential renting and then local jurisdictions and Federal laws get added to the mix.

I manged several single family home in Hayward California prior to that city enacting new laws just for rentals... like mandatory code compliance inspections, etc.

The elderly couple that owned two of the properties decided to sell after becoming incensed at the findings... one home failed and was subject to inspection fees because the tenant had changed the outlets in one bedroom from the two prong to three prong where no ground existed... minor... yet the city charges were something like $150 over one outlet.

The owners were cited for a neighbors wobbly fence... the fence was wholly on the adjoining property, built be the adjoining neighbor and had been there for decades... city said it was the defacto property line and needed repair... and would not budge...

Two rental units permanently off the market which could be the cities end game from the beginning.

Back when people were walking away from homes in droves... I just could not understand it... people with good jobs and ties to the community said it was cheaper to rent or no longer worth paying the mortgage on property going down in value... knee jerk reaction and now many have been priced out.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:45 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,795,689 times
Not to sound in any way disrespectful, but renters don't care, plain and simple !!!

Old 03-21-2015, 10:53 AM

There is no one size fits all... I've met renters that take extra care because they don't own it... kind of like the Minister I know that always washes his rental car before taking it back... it does happen.

The real issue here is that it is very costly and time consuming to evict and in the meantime great damage can be done...

Many renters are by nature judgement proof... and there you have it.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Rent Control definitely impacts residential rentals and a number of properties are being sold as single family homes in cities like San Francisco that had been converted into units.

Security Deposit... no matter the terminology is strictly regulated in my State as are just about every aspect of residential renting and then local jurisdictions and Federal laws get added to the mix.

I manged several single family home in Hayward California prior to that city enacting new laws just for rentals... like mandatory code compliance inspections, etc.

The elderly couple that owned two of the properties decided to sell after becoming incensed at the findings... one home failed and was subject to inspection fees because the tenant had changed the outlets in one bedroom from the two prong to three prong where no ground existed... minor... yet the city charges were something like $150 over one outlet.

The owners were cited for a neighbors wobbly fence... the fence was wholly on the adjoining property, built be the adjoining neighbor and had been there for decades... city said it was the defacto property line and needed repair... and would not budge...

Two rental units permanently off the market which could be the cities end game from the beginning.

Back when people were walking away from homes in droves... I just could not understand it... people with good jobs and ties to the community said it was cheaper to rent or no longer worth paying the mortgage on property going down in value... knee jerk reaction and now many have been priced out.

Rent control is limited to NYC and a number of cities and counties in California; it's not an issue anywhere else in this country. What happens is that the emergence of local effort to impose rent control (e.g. proposed ordinance or voter initiative) sends landlords running to the legislature which bans it statewide. Never gonna happen elsewhere.

Regulatory overreach never works out well for renters; in Hayward the small landlords probably bailed (or were regulated out) and the remaining landlords enjoyed concentrated ownership and market power.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:25 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Freemkt, every comment you have to make about dastardly landlords and their "power" is simply a reflection of your own constant inability to pull yourself out of the pit you've buried yourself in. You have a never ending litany of excuse after excuse for your sorry lot which you inject into every possible thread. It's a shame that the whole world is so bent on keeping you down and nothing that anybody has said in an effort to help you is met with anything but derision and another feeble excuse. I'm sure your perspective would be far more reasonable if you'd just man up and deal with things like most others have to do...

Old 03-21-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Freemkt, every comment you have to make about dastardly landlords and their "power" is simply a reflection of your own constant inability to pull yourself out of the pit you've buried yourself in. You have a never ending litany of excuse after excuse for your sorry lot which you inject into every possible thread. It's a shame that the whole world is so bent on keeping you down and nothing that anybody has said in an effort to help you is met with anything but derision and another feeble excuse. I'm sure your perspective would be far more reasonable if you'd just man up and deal with things like most others have to do...

??? I call 'em like I see 'em. Personally I had a great landlord for 13 years in a town that kept tightening rental regulations. (The only reason I left was a health-related loss of income which prompted me to stay with family until I could return to work and earn income.) Personally I saw a dozen landlords grow to dominate the local market as the smaller landlords bailed out. Personally I saw market rents necessarily skyrocket while I lived way below market.

I don't ask much in life, just peace and quiet and solitude - a live/work environment in which I can be productive. A home environment filled with drunken fights and rampages is not normal, neither is it a normal work environment.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:59 PM

It's a definite trend... regulation and cost of compliance or failure thereof has driven many small owner operators out of the business leaving the field to the professionals.

It's not just rentals... can't tell you how many sole practitioner physicians I know that are calling it quits because the burden is too great... need at least a staff of 3 or 4 people in a Doctor's office and if the Doctor is sick/injured and can't work... income stops but not the bills...

Same for small time owners... if you own a duplex and one side is vacant... you are 50% vacant.

My wish is for all the bad landlords and bad tenants find each other and leave the rest of alone.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It's a definite trend... regulation and cost of compliance or failure thereof has driven many small owner operators out of the business leaving the field to the professionals.

It's not just rentals... can't tell you how many sole practitioner physicians I know that are calling it quits because the burden is too great... need at least a staff of 3 or 4 people in a Doctor's office and if the Doctor is sick/injured and can't work... income stops but not the bills...

Same for small time owners... if you own a duplex and one side is vacant... you are 50% vacant.

My wish is for all the bad landlords and bad tenants find each other and leave the rest of alone.

My doctor says there is a lot of turnover and shaking out happening now. Somehow one of my prescriptions recently got frozen when a prescribing doctor left the practice and his incoming replacement somehow thought I also had a conflicting script. That one took a couple weeks to resolve. Within the past year the practice has changed ownership and has added several new doctors.

If Walmart is too big and Mom and Pop are too small, what size is just right? Is there a sweet spot of scale in business or landlording?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting