Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 06:36 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Are you one of those people who say welfare recipients shouldn't be allowed to vote because they will vote for more freebies in their pocket?

Aren't homeowners in precisely the same conflict of interest when they vote for policies that inflate their property value and/or provide them a tax subsidy by overtaxing others? (e.g. homeowners in Michigan happily vote for a 4x tax on nonhomestead property, thereby providing homeowners a four-figure annual tax subsidy.)

If I live there, it is also my neighborhood. Should renter-majority neighborhoods be able to successfully keep their neighborhoods from becoming gentrified when outsiders want to raise the bar?
There is a huge difference between voting to inflate property value, and voting to maintain property value, not have the neighborhood turn into a slum, and keep the quality of life that made them buy the home in the first place.

I have a question for you? Do you vote on local issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 06:42 AM

106,748 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
"You are correct, 100 percent correct!" (Daffy Duck)

It really does have NOTHING to do with me. It's not at all about me, and very much about class warfare. In fact, it is virtually ubiquitous across populated America (where I have name ID of 0.00002%), so moving to a different city is no use at all..

As far as I am aware, every place in which I have lived excludes trailers. I first considered that over 30 years ago.

Low-end condos are a terrible deal because they are always at risk of being un-financeable, which is a good way to be stripped of your equity if you need to sell.

the way it looks you could have taken all your time you spend complaining on line , collected empty bottles and have produced more income than you are.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:56 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
There is a huge difference between voting to inflate property value, and voting to maintain property value, not have the neighborhood turn into a slum, and keep the quality of life that made them buy the home in the first place.

I have a question for you? Do you vote on local issues?

Do renter-majority neighborhoods have the right to keep the quality of life that made renting in that neighborhood affordable? Can't you see the inherent class warfare when renters and homeowners cannot both have the quality of life they want? Can't you see the inherent government bias toward homeowners?

And yes, I do vote regularly on local issues. At one point I had voted in something like 14 consecutive elections (that's about five years of elections in Michigan). As a low-income renter always vulnerable to displacement, I also follow issues in other neighborhoods because I recognize I may at some point involuntarily live there.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:06 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the way it looks you could have taken all your time you spend complaining on line , collected empty bottles and have produced more income than you are.

Observation:

Returnable cans and bottles are worth 10 cents in Michigan and 5 cents in Oregon.

Far more returnables are available to scavengers in Oregon, but it's still not something you can't live on unless you are homeless and you scavenge full time. And Oregon has these enormous bottle return sites so that returning bottles to neighborhood supermarkets is largely obsolete; instead you have to take them to a distant inconvenient location.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Observation:

Returnable cans and bottles are worth 10 cents in Michigan and 5 cents in Oregon.

Far more returnables are available to scavengers in Oregon, but it's still not something you can't live on unless you are homeless and you scavenge full time. And Oregon has these enormous bottle return sites so that returning bottles to neighborhood supermarkets is largely obsolete; instead you have to take them to a distant inconvenient location.
Pretty deft you are to have an answer for absolutely everything concerning your sorry lot. Landlords are all wealthy scions pounding down the unfortunates and yours is a subleasing drunk. You can't move because you can't afford the extortionate rents elsewhere. Even though you allegedly have thousands of $$s in some sort of sellable "inventory", you can't sell it because you have neither sufficient space nor the calm environment necessary to conduct business. But if you had it, you'd be all set. You have bad credit because - well, the litany of excuses there is legion and covers the whole gamut of every excuse anybody has ever come up with. You can't get a second job because - well, that litany of excuses is likewise legion.

And, to cap it off, picking up bottles isn't an option for you because you live in the wrong state and, even if you lived in a state which paid more per bottle, the drop-off sites there are just too inconveniently located.

Did I miss anything?

Notwithstanding the dreadful situation which is in no way your fault, you have plenty of time to sit in front of of a computer, hijacking thread after thread to blame everyone and everything possible .

Well done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting