Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 04:16 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
His case was in 2012. So let me get this straight, a sex offender who committed a crime 20-30 years is somehow better than a "current" sex offender? Got it
I would certainly say someone who committed a crime 30 years ago, served their time and has not reoffended is better than a recent offender.

But a mid 50s person molesting a minor probably shouldn't be a maintenance man with master keys. Unless maybe it was 30 years ago and they've proven themselves which is not the case here.

On the other hand, while your could fight it, the landlord could still make up some other reason to not renew your month to months at the least, you might want to be looking around just in case.

I will add that if you had stated all the facts initially you would have possibly had fewer people who didn't agree with you.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:31 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,300,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I would certainly say someone who committed a crime 30 years ago, served their time and has not reoffended is better than a recent offender.

But a mid 50s person molesting a minor probably shouldn't be a maintenance man with master keys. Unless maybe it was 30 years ago and they've proven themselves which is not the case here.

On the other hand, while your could fight it, the landlord could still make up some other reason to not renew your month to months at the least, you might want to be looking around just in case.

I will add that if you had stated all the facts initially you would have possibly had fewer people who didn't agree with you.
Well, then you have people that didn't backread the thread either. Great post btw

Old 03-01-2015, 04:42 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times
Either way, since you are month-to-month and have already angered your landlord and then re-angered him with the "printing more flyers", it sure seems that you will be apartment hunting within a month. I hope you're packing.

You are in a panic and not thinking clearly. You are attacking people here who are giving you the facts of life without making any judgment about the situation. No one is saying you are wrong in being upset, no one is saying one way or another about the man being hired, people are saying that you've already angered your LL and you are likely to be asked to vacate. Your landlord does not need a reason to tell you to leave. That isn't a difficult concept.

You have no legal right to stay, no legal basis for a claim against the landlord should he decide not to renew for another month, and hopefully you can pack quickly while searching for a new apartment.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:10 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Check on the local laws. I know here that a registered sex offender cannot work or live within 1000 ft of a school or daycare center.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:18 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
OP, keep us posted on how your new apartment hunt goes.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:27 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
What job should a convicted felon who has served his time have, if not a maintenance man?

Now, that would depend a LOT on what this maintenance man has for his duties. Does he mow the lawn outside, etc. Or does he have pass keys for each apartment--if he has pass keys to each apartment, then I would object strongly. If all has work assignments are outside of the individual apartments, then maybe its ok.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:35 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Now, that would depend a LOT on what this maintenance man has for his duties. Does he mow the lawn outside, etc. Or does he have pass keys for each apartment--if he has pass keys to each apartment, then I would object strongly. If all has work assignments are outside of the individual apartments, then maybe its ok.
I could go along with that rationale. I would be ok, even if he worked inside the apartments, as long as he didn't have his own keys.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:53 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
I'm not criticizing you for approaching your landlord, nor altering your neighbors. My question was simple. What jobs should convicted sexual felons have, if not a maintenance man?
Shall we also discuss the cost of tea in China?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
What court case? He is within legal right to tell you that your month to month lease won't continue and you have to move out in 30 or 60 days (however many days your state requires).

Then you must move out or you face formal eviction proceedings for staying past the lease end date.

You can't decide to to sue the landlord for not renewing your lease when they have every legal right because you are on 'month to month' lease. So they aren't kicking you out mid-lease. That would be your only defense, but you are on month to month. Evenif you contested the eviction (if you stay past the 30 or 60 days), even if the landlord admits to not renewing your lease BECAUSE you outed the sexual offender guy...the landlord is still within his legal right to make you move out.

What are you going to sue him for? Civil case for fraud? What are the monetary damages to you?
It's called a "retaliatory eviction," and it's not legal, which the OP stated. In CA, for instance, a landlord cannot evict you for 6 months after you exercised a right as a tenant. Landlords can't evict tenants for exercising their rights.

Please note, the OP said this is also the law in his/her state.

The OP could be kicked out for not paying the rent, obviously, but any other reason will be considered by the court to be retaliatory, most likely. The OP could sue to be able to stay, and/or for damages and punitive damages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Either way, since you are month-to-month and have already angered your landlord and then re-angered him with the "printing more flyers", it sure seems that you will be apartment hunting within a month. I hope you're packing.

You are in a panic and not thinking clearly. You are attacking people here who are giving you the facts of life without making any judgment about the situation. No one is saying you are wrong in being upset, no one is saying one way or another about the man being hired, people are saying that you've already angered your LL and you are likely to be asked to vacate. Your landlord does not need a reason to tell you to leave. That isn't a difficult concept.

You have no legal right to stay, no legal basis for a claim against the landlord should he decide not to renew for another month, and hopefully you can pack quickly while searching for a new apartment.
Please see above. And yes, as usual, people in this forum jumped on the OP, and defended the sex offender, rather than the OP. A very reliable and very mean truth about this forum.

Quote:
I could go along with that rationale. I would be ok, even if he worked inside the apartments, as long as he didn't have his own keys.
But, maintenance men do have master keys.

OP, it's insane for a sexual offender to have access to people's apartments. Who cares why he's on the list. He's on the list, therefore, he should not have master keys to apartments.

As a landlord, imagine explaining that it's okay for THIS sex offender to have keys to your apartment. Or to even be on the property with permission.

You might want to let your landlord know that now that he is aware that he has given keys to a sex offender to the homes of all of his tenants, that he will now also be held liable for anything that happens. He can't claim he didn't know. Of course, he would have been found guilty of negligence for not doing a background check on someone who was given keys to everyone's homes. But, now that he's aware of the risk, he would probably lose everything, and maybe go to jail, too.

And really, it's okay for a sex offender to have access to your apartment as long as he doesn't have keys? That didn't work so well for the family in Utah whose child was snatched by the man they hired to do handywork around their place, did it?

As a tenant, it is not my responsibility to care if a guy somehow, by accident, or by some dumb mistake ended up on the sex offender list. I don't care. That's a consequence people on the sex offender list have to live with. They are not trusted to be in jobs like apartment maintenance men. That's their cross to bear. But, if you are on that list, I don't want you anywhere on the property I live in.

OP, your landlord is an idiot. I'd be raising holy hell, too.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 03-01-2015 at 07:10 PM..

Old 03-01-2015, 06:53 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,410 times
You could certainly try to pressure the landlord to release you from the contract by threatening to whip-up paranoia among the other tenants. This tactic could also result in the landlord terminating the man's employment. If the maintenance man was untruthful on a job application, this would pose no real problem. However, if he was known to be a convict when he was hired, terminating him without legal cause could well risk a discrimination claim.

The landlord may or may not have known of the man's past. However, assuming the ex-convict is not violating any of the terms of his release, there really are no legal options for addressing this. The fact that you're upset that the landlord hired this man is not enough for you to break your lease.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:57 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

But, maintenance men do have master keys.
SOME maintenance men have master keys. Absolutely not all of them do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.