Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 09:19 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,839,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
You're right. There's really no chance that the OP in all her legal knowledge and experience could simply mistake the separate counts for separate suits and the guy who has actually fought these battles in the Florida courts doesn't know what he's talking about.

What part of "the claim is structurally deficit" is not clear to you? Also, even if that issue did not exist, the landlord has allegedly filed a lawsuit in the name of a company he does not own. Not only would that get him in a lot of trouble potentially (such as the unlicensed practice of law) it also will result in the entire suit being dismissed.

I haven't insulted you, and I'd be a little more apt to pleasantness if you weren't chronically wrong about every point you've made thus far.

Oh, you know what is against the ToS here? Using symbols to side step the language filter.

I'm done with you. You obviously can not admit when you are wrong. Have a good night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 09:22 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
I'm done with you. You obviously can not admit when you are wrong. Have a good night!
I'm sorry, I was too busy laughing at the irony of a person who doesn't even live here trying to tell me how our eviction process works when I've been on both sides of it more than once.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:36 AM

135 posts, read 258,350 times
Guys, DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

I was mistaken about the two suits. It is two counts of one case; one for eviction and one for damages. As I said, I have never been evicted and don't understand the process well.

However, I'm very happy in my new place, so I'm not worried about the eviction too much. I tend to stay in places for a long time. By the time I leave here, I will be a long-time resident with a glowing record of paying my rent on time and taking excellent care of the property. In my experience, decent landlords look more at your last rental than something from years back.

IMHO, landlords who deny an application based on a years-old eviction for an applicant who has nothing else bad on their background check and a glowing reference from their current landlord is an idiot and I wouldn't rent from them anyway. People go through bad times. Cases like mine happen every day. Landlords file malicious evictions for no reason at all sometimes. Look at all the cases in NYC where landlords want people out so they can turn the rent-controlled properties into condos and how they treat their tenants to get them out. Who wants one of those people for a landlord?

I'm more concerned about the damages component affecting my credit. My ex-landlord is just trying to hurt me, and he knows he has the upper hand in this landlord-friendly county. So be it. He tortured me for a year, causing me physical and mental harm. I won't let him steal another minute that I could be enjoying my life, spending time with loved ones, enjoying my hobbies, teaching people and learning new things. He can't have my soul, not even to replace his own which he has obviously lost.

A very old and wise attorney once told me that a judgment is just one person's opinion of our situation, that only you and those closest to you know who you are, and you should not let anyone tell you that because you can't pay a bill, that makes you a bad person. I've lost everything I ever owned once before and had my credit ruiined. I lived on cash only for many years and never had a problem renting a place. There are good people in the world who would rather judge you on your present than your past, and then there are those who pre-judge you based on your past. I don't associate with people who pre-judge you.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:52 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Good for you kassie! Stay strong and I hope you win against this LL in court. Please keep us posted.

And glad to hear you are loving your new place, you can rest much easier AND at least you now have functioning plumbing.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassie99 View Post
I was mistaken about the two suits. It is two counts of one case; one for eviction and one for damages. As I said, I have never been evicted and don't understand the process well.
Wonder how long it will take Reenz to come back and admit she was wrong.

Quote:
However, I'm very happy in my new place, so I'm not worried about the eviction too much. I tend to stay in places for a long time. By the time I leave here, I will be a long-time resident with a glowing record of paying my rent on time and taking excellent care of the property. In my experience, decent landlords look more at your last rental than something from years back.

IMHO, landlords who deny an application based on a years-old eviction for an applicant who has nothing else bad on their background check and a glowing reference from their current landlord is an idiot and I wouldn't rent from them anyway. People go through bad times. Cases like mine happen every day. Landlords file malicious evictions for no reason at all sometimes. Look at all the cases in NYC where landlords want people out so they can turn the rent-controlled properties into condos and how they treat their tenants to get them out. Who wants one of those people for a landlord?
I wouldn't worry about it. Despite Bentlebee's posturing, there really aren't too many landlords (corporate or otherwise) who are going to be turned off by renting to someone who actually won their eviction case. As I've mentioned before, I've dealt with the issue twice, won both, and it's never seriously hampered my ability to rent. The only apartment complex that ever gave me much of an issue ended up backing down after I threatened to file complaints with the Attorney General, BBB, Pinellas County Consumer Protection and the local media. They saw the error of their ways though.

Quote:
I'm more concerned about the damages component affecting my credit. My ex-landlord is just trying to hurt me, and he knows he has the upper hand in this landlord-friendly county. So be it. He tortured me for a year, causing me physical and mental harm. I won't let him steal another minute that I could be enjoying my life, spending time with loved ones, enjoying my hobbies, teaching people and learning new things. He can't have my soul, not even to replace his own which he has obviously lost.
What's your attorney had to say about it?

Old 08-06-2015, 01:35 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Wonder how long it will take Reenz to come back and admit she was wrong.
But reenz wasn't actually wrong in their statement of 2 separate lawsuits. kassie admitted she was incorrect in her original statement, so play nice.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
But reenz wasn't actually wrong in their statement of 2 separate lawsuits. kassie admitted she was incorrect in her original statement, so play nice.
I know. It's when I corrected it and she kept insisting that she was right that I got irritated.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:58 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:

A very old and wise attorney once told me that a judgment is just one person's opinion of our situation, that only you and those closest to you know who you are, and you should not let anyone tell you that because you can't pay a bill, that makes you a bad person. I've lost everything I ever owned once before and had my credit ruiined. I lived on cash only for many years and never had a problem renting a place. There are good people in the world who would rather judge you on your present than your past, and then there are those who pre-judge you based on your past. I don't associate with people who pre-judge you.
You contradict yourself! So you didn't learn from the first time ruin your credit... hopefully it will not be 3 time is a charm...

The way you describe everything I really hope you stay put for a long time and I'm glad you have not called us as we would turn you down and we have heard this story many times over.

Tenants always leave the rental improved and cleaner as they got it as it was so bad when they moved in

Old 08-07-2015, 01:22 AM

932 posts, read 899,947 times
Quote:

Geez you could have updated us on what happen. Did you go to court and did the case get dismissed???

Old 08-07-2015, 04:37 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
Geez you could have updated us on what happen. Did you go to court and did the case get dismissed???
From what the person is writing she got a full eviction otherwise there wouldn't even be a damage part for which she/he had to pay!

Tenants like that always think that because they feel they are "entitled" they had the law on their side and the LL is a slumlord.

In the end these are what we call "professional tenants" and nothing you want to deal with as it is just wasting energy and costing a LL money.

I applaud LL who go to court as the next LL can easily see this when they conduct a background check and that is also why we do it as it has prevented us from renting to a person with a history like that.

I never heard a tenant with an eviction claim against them that it was solely their fault... have you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting