Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,166 times

Advertisements

I work from home as a computer programmer. I like to be outside, so work at a desk in a Costco-style carport tent in my backyard. Across the street, my neighbor has a similar carport in the same place so this is not an issue. Somebody told my landlord that someone is living in a tent in my yard so she came by to see for herself today, with my permission and blessing.

She was pretty put off by the fact that I am working out here: "this yard isn't really intended to be used as an office." Finally it came down to the extension cord that comes out here being a hazard in her opinion, especially once it begins to rain.

She's told me that she will be sending me an addendum to my agreement that specifies that I will need to vacate my outside office by November first and throughout the "rainy season."

Is this something that they can dictate or enforce?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 01:56 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
Yep! You live in a Residence ...place would need Rezoning for Business.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:59 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,837,270 times
I wouldn't think so since changes to the agreement have to be signed off on by both parties. Could she find something to use an excuse in the current agreement? Maybe/Probably.

I like to work outside a fair amount as well. Personally, I'd see if you can get her to accept you taking the cord inside when it's rainy/at night (assuming this is an option for you). Or maybe you can get an all-seasons extension cord to pacify her (assuming these exist).

Old 09-23-2015, 02:30 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,244,125 times
Your landlord can try to get fire department, you may be creating a fire hazard, or the city, having a tent placed out front is likely against some law or another, or their insurance agent to issue a citation which would make you move it. If you get a notice from any of these things it gives your landlord what they need to evict you for breach of the lease, specifically the standard Rule and Law clause.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:04 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
She said it is the electric, but more than likely it is because you erected a permanent tent on the property without permission. I wouldn't be happy with you, either.

Plus there has been a complaint about it from a neighbor......not the thing to make your landlord happy with you.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:05 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,554,759 times
You are flouting fire code, she has cause to evict you right now. Stop doing it.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rant93 View Post
I work from home as a computer programmer. I like to be outside, so work at a desk in a Costco-style carport tent in my backyard. Across the street, my neighbor has a similar carport in the same place so this is not an issue. Somebody told my landlord that someone is living in a tent in my yard so she came by to see for herself today, with my permission and blessing.

She was pretty put off by the fact that I am working out here: "this yard isn't really intended to be used as an office." Finally it came down to the extension cord that comes out here being a hazard in her opinion, especially once it begins to rain.

She's told me that she will be sending me an addendum to my agreement that specifies that I will need to vacate my outside office by November first and throughout the "rainy season."

Thanks

Modification of property? Sure it's enforceable.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:53 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,554,759 times
BTW. I just noticed the title of this post. Nobody can offer you legal advice online. Everyone's opinons here are non-legal advice. If you want legal advice, hire an attorney.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:38 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,016,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rant93 View Post

She can "send" you all the addendum's she wants! But, so long as you don't sign them, she can not enforce them on you. So, if you don't like the addendum, just don;t sign it!

However, if the tent is 200 sq feet or more in size (most garage tents start at 10' X 20") it's under the authority of the CA Fire Marshall and requires a permit, inspection and fire protection devices. I dont; think you want to bring it up to code or go through the expense of permitting it. Additionally, if the Fire Marshall comes a calling, everyone else on that block with one (or any other obvious violations) is going to get hit for a violation. You probably won't be popular.

If they hit your landlord with a violation, she can order it removed and you can be held responsible for any financial fines she has to pay. If you don't comply, she can evict.

If you are within the limits of the City or County of Sacramento, even if your tent is under 200 square feet, they still restrict its use to no more than 180 days within a 12 month rolling period. If you had it up for more than 180 days in the last 365 days, the landlord can demand it be taken down or face eviction.

Now, I bet if you read your lease there is probably something that restricts your use of the property to residential purposes. Or it may contain a clause about obeying local/state laws. And I would not be surprised if it requires permission to erect anything that falls under some government regulation. So you may not have much of a leg to stand on.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:24 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Too hard to say without a copy of the lease and the rules and regulations in your jurisdiction.

Sometimes things are open to interpretation.

No legal advice promised of offered.

Are you month to month... if so, a notice might be all that is necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting