Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 05:31 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times

Advertisements

Paper plates, disposable flatware, bottled water, five gallon slop bucket(s).

Easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 05:35 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLife_Girl View Post
May I ask, how long did you live without a kitchen sink?
Did you cook a lot or was it basic heating?
I lived without a kitchen sink for about six months many years ago, when I was younger. I did a lot of cooking from scratch at the time. I also did a lot of lugging big stacks of dishes and cookware back and forth to and from the bathroom sink, and washing and drying them there. It wasn't fun. However, I was in love and cooking for him, and somehow everything worked out OK.

I don't think you could do this if you had someone who might be hogging the bathroom when you need it for cooking, though! It takes a lot of cooperation as well as hard work.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:41 PM

25 posts, read 147,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertlover View Post
I was there for mostly a year. However, the casita I was in was on the property of the main house and the owners were nice enough to take my dishes once a day and wash them in their dishwasher with theirs. It was a nice family. I had a hot plate, but the casita had no windows that opened, so I really wasn't comfortable cooking in there. I ate out mostly, and just warmed leftovers in the microwave that I had in there. Had a small fridge, so I ate a lot of sandwiches and salads too, things that you don't have to cook. Used mostly paper plates, cups and plastic utensils.

If you don't like to cook, you can do okay until you can afford better.
Oh ok, thank you for that info.
While I do like to cook, I'm thinking I can go without it until I find some place better.

Btw wasn't it expensive using paper plates, cups and utensils on a daily basis?

Old 10-02-2015, 05:43 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Why would anyone need more than 1 (microwavable) plate, 1 bowl, 1 of each type of flatware? Easy to wash that in a bathroom sink.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I lived without a kitchen sink for about six months many years ago, when I was younger. I did a lot of cooking from scratch at the time. I also did a lot of lugging big stacks of dishes and cookware back and forth to and from the bathroom sink, and washing and drying them there. It wasn't fun. However, I was in love and cooking for him, and somehow everything worked out OK.

I don't think you could do this if you had someone who might be hogging the bathroom when you need it for cooking, though! It takes a lot of cooperation as well as hard work.
The bold part made me laugh ..

Ahh what you do for love, but in seriousness.. how difficult was it washing dishes in the bathroom sink?

I'm going from having a full kitchen to nothing and having serious second thoughts.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Why would anyone need more than 1 (microwavable) plate, 1 bowl, 1 of each type of flatware? Easy to wash that in a bathroom sink.
Haha when you think of it like that it doesn't seem difficult. But I have to admit I am having second thoughts, I could do without a kitchen but lack of a kitchen sink is making me second guess it.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:34 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Now a days you have a Lot of options. But 41 years ago when my son was born we lived in a old hotel that rented rooms by the week. I wash Everything in the Tub! That tub was Cleaned & Bleached Several times a DAY! Washed on my hands & knees! There were No small Refergerators No Microwaves. Food was kept in Styrofoam ice chests. I cooked food & boiled diapers on a Hot plate! No Disposable Diapers either!

I am sure you too will survive.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:07 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
You can fill your pots and pans with water and give a few drops of soap and heat the water on the cooktop. Then wash out the pot and pour the soapy water into the bathroom sink or a 5 gallon slop bucket as posted above.

Have a large pitcher or gallon bottle of water handy and use it to wash/rinse the pots/pans and also for cooking. You can buy 1 gallon of water and then keep refilling it from the bathroom faucet.

Fill up a large heavy cup or container with soapy water and place your dirty utensils as soon as you are done using them, so the food doesn't dry. This would be spatulas or large spoons or anything you are using that isn't disposable. Then they'll be much easier to wash later.

The dollar store has good deals on plastic cups and paper plates.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You can fill your pots and pans with water and give a few drops of soap and heat the water on the cooktop. Then wash out the pot and pour the soapy water into the bathroom sink or a 5 gallon slop bucket as posted above.

Have a large pitcher or gallon bottle of water handy and use it to wash/rinse the pots/pans and also for cooking. You can buy 1 gallon of water and then keep refilling it from the bathroom faucet.

Fill up a large heavy cup or container with soapy water and place your dirty utensils as soon as you are done using them, so the food doesn't dry. This would be spatulas or large spoons or anything you are using that isn't disposable. Then they'll be much easier to wash later.

The dollar store has good deals on plastic cups and paper plates.
Thanks for that tip.
I will definitely check out the dollar store for paper plates and cups, along with a bucket or two.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:54 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
I save a lot of trouble using paper plates and plastic forks and spoons .I find it healthier .
The paper plates soak up the grease if any and the whole thing is thrown away for a new fresh one every time.
it is extremely sanitary and safe and for the little invested worth it to me.
I get paper not plastic plates because of the grease catching issue .
I cook a lot with the micro wave, plate an all .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting