Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 12:49 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post

I think it's weird that people think that mopping your floor on hands and knees is disgusting. When I lived with my parents, we had a large kitchen with hardwood and mom or I mopped it with Vinegar & Water on hands and knees about every 2 weeks. I thought that was part of the normal care of real hardwood floors. But regardless, I'm not sure how keeping your house clean is "disgusting". I'm genuinely asking, because this seems like a strange attitude to me.
Who says it's disgusting? Uncomfortable, yes...disgusting, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 01:16 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

I went over with spik & span, a bucket and some hot water... looked like knew... she said she would never get down on her hands and knees to scrub a floor because that would be disgusting... this is also the same person that pays to have her car washed... go figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Well, your tenant was partially right: scrubbing the floor on your hands and knees IS disgusting. Too bad she'd never heard of this nifty invention called a "mop," which makes such arduous labor unnecessary if it's used properly (and regularly).
Aredhel said it was disgusting, and Ultrarunner had a tenant who said it was disgusting.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:47 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
Wow that's awesome that you all seem to live in markets where rentals come without appliances! I'm a landlord in a market where it's downright weird not to supply an oven, dishwasher, refrigerator, and washer/dryer. To the point where I would lose significant rental income if I didn't supply them.

It would be great if I didn't have to supply them- they are my biggest liabilities. Everything in the house works great, and the house is great, but I just know that I'll need to be replacing dishwasher/oven control panels frequently (don't ever buy Jenn-Air) and eventually the 20 year old washer/dryer set too.

The roof, central AC, and heating system are all relatively new. Just those darned appliances to worry about!

Old 02-08-2016, 01:55 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Aredhel said it was disgusting, and Ultrarunner had a tenant who said it was disgusting.
Guess I didn't read the thread closely enough.

Scrubbing floors isn't gross. And I wash my own car.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:47 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,240,667 times
All my units have full appliances. I don't see it as a problem because most items are easily repaired you just need to pay attention to warranties when you buy them I think there is 3 washer/dryer manufacturers that sell cheap, under $400, units that come with 10 year motor warranties. Everything else is easily replaced on a dryer for cheap and when it isn't it is cheap to replace the unit. I go through the same guy at Spencers for everything and get good discounts because of it I just call him up and tell him what I need.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:42 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Very commonplace to have appliances in all apartments in my city/area as well. Any place around here would have little to no chance of ever renting a place if it didn't supply all appliances that there were hookups for. You might find a sfh or duplex once in awhile that doesn't supply washer/dryer when there are hookups but all other appliances would be supplied and maintained during lease duration.

Tenants pay enough in rent to warrant having appliances.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 02-08-2016 at 05:14 PM..

Old 02-08-2016, 05:09 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You mention this a lot...gotta do what you gotta do, I suppose...though no fridge would be a dealbreaker for me.

Anyway...I'm curious about something. Do you have garbage disposals in the kitchen sinks in your rental properties? I ask because every plumber/rooter guy I've ever talked to said that garbage disposals/backed up kitchen sinks were their most frequent call-out item because people think you can put anything and everything down the kitchen sink drain as long as you run the garbage disposal as you do it.

(I own my home and have a sink strainer over the drain so stuff DOESN'T fall into the drain...despite having a garbage disposal.)
No... pulled them all out years ago... too many problems with mangled silverware.

Unless it is built in like a wall oven or in a few cases dishwasher... I'm not furnishing... the exceptions are legacy tenants... I'm not going to tell someone that has been renting from the 1980's they have to get their own appliances as much as I would like.

My 1988 tenant is on her third new stove and 4th refrigerator... one was there and I have bought 3 brand new ones... this is over 28 years...

Funny thing is Mom and Grandparents still have all their appliances going back to the 1960's for washer/dryer, 1970's for stoves... I put them in and early 1980's for refrigerators.

My high end rental is out of state and I have a property manager... he insisted I had to put in a nice refrigerator for that market... so I bought a $2000 one on sale... ice, water filters, compartments, etc... much nicer than anything I have ever used... they fished a lot and took everything out of the freezer to store more fish.

Tenants were there for 2 years and when they left the refrigerator that I have a warranty on was trashed... oh, it still worked... it was just missing all the ice maker and crusher parts and shelves in on the freezer side... all of the missing parts were over $1200...

It really ticked me off because I knew better and listened to my property manager...

Not to get too far off topic... I went after the tenant and it took over two years and yes I did collect on $6000 in damages including the refrigerator... the new living room carpet had caught fire when the kids were home and a log rolled out of the fireplace and just about every door had hinge problems and every window screen was destroyed...

Old 02-08-2016, 05:17 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Very commonplace to have appliances in all apartments in my city/area as well. Any place around here would have little to no chance of ever renting a place if it didn't supply all appliances that had hookups. You might find a sfh or duplex once in awhile that doesn't supply washer/dryer when there are hookups but all other appliances would be supplied and maintained during lease duration.

Tenants pay enough in rent to warrant appliances.
No problems ever sourcing tenants... it just could be the very low vacancy SF rental market.

I'm in the business of providing shelter... I've never wanted to be in the appliance business.

The majority of the rentals remaining are 1-4 units...

All of the larger properties have been systematically 1031 exchanged for commercial property... I absolutely love NNN leases...

I can manage millions of dollars of commercial property in about the same time it takes to deal with a couple of difficult residential tenants...

Old 02-10-2016, 03:21 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Very commonplace to have appliances in all apartments in my city/area as well. Any place around here would have little to no chance of ever renting a place if it didn't supply all appliances that there were hookups for. You might find a sfh or duplex once in awhile that doesn't supply washer/dryer when there are hookups but all other appliances would be supplied and maintained during lease duration.

Tenants pay enough in rent to warrant having appliances.
Apartments are less likely to have built-in microwaves, dishwashers & garbage disposals, which are all maintenance nightmares. I'd have to disagree about tenants "paying enough in rent" to cover appliances, unless we're talking beat-up Craigslist specials. The washers, microwaves, fridges & dishwashers on the market today are unlikely to last even five years.

i can make the roof leak-free for thirty years, but I can't guarantee the fridge I install today will even work tomorrow. Why would any sane landlord provide devices that are *guaranteed* to generate service calls?

Old 02-10-2016, 03:29 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
All my units have full appliances. I don't see it as a problem because most items are easily repaired you just need to pay attention to warranties when you buy them I think there is 3 washer/dryer manufacturers that sell cheap, under $400, units that come with 10 year motor warranties. Everything else is easily replaced on a dryer for cheap and when it isn't it is cheap to replace the unit. I go through the same guy at Spencers for everything and get good discounts because of it I just call him up and tell him what I need.
You get "good discounts" because you're buying truckloads of unreliable devices.

Economists *used* to call appliances "durable goods" - they lasted long enough that you wouldn't remember the appliance salesman's name. You've got yours on speed-dial. Those are unnecessary expenses sucking off a significant share of the profits from renting houses. Rent-a-center rents appliances, you're supposed to be in the house-rental business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting