Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 04:35 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times

Advertisements

While it is annoying, they aren't doing anything illegal so calling the police wouldn't do any good.

You need to go in and talk, face to face, with your landlord and explain what you're going thru. Let them know about the stomping when your watching tv, showering or vacumming. Will it help? Probably not, but it's worth the effort.

They are allowed to move about their unit at any hour they choose...annoying? Yes, it is..very much so, but again, not against the law nor a violation of the lease.

If they are stomping when they hear your tv, it means they can hear your tv and your noise just as well as you can hear theirs. This is what your landlord needs to convey to them....if they can hear you, you can hear them. (in no way am I implying that you're being noisy)

Don't turn off your TV if they stomp...you have a right to watch tv. Don't stop vacuuming or showering either....you have a right to do these things in your unit. I'm a bit scrappy so I'd pound on the ceiling right back at them and continue doing what I was doing.

Good luck...maybe you can move to a top floor unit...but honestly it sounds like your building is part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 05:27 PM

143 posts, read 177,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
You will hear the alarm just not right away. When I would set my alarm for 6am I would not hear it until 6:12am. That;s not bad
Far fewer than 12 minutes could get you killed in a fire! Earplugs can also be uncomfortable for long periods and create a feeling of pressure in the head, with the "occlusion effect" of heartbeat noise.

Earplugs are just a band-aid, not a real solution to rudeness.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:30 PM

Default Here she goes again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
While it is annoying, they aren't doing anything illegal so calling the police wouldn't do any good.

You need to go in and talk, face to face, with your landlord and explain what you're going thru. Let them know about the stomping when your watching tv, showering or vacumming. Will it help? Probably not, but it's worth the effort.

They are allowed to move about their unit at any hour they choose...annoying? Yes, it is..very much so, but again, not against the law nor a violation of the lease.

If they are stomping when they hear your tv, it means they can hear your tv and your noise just as well as you can hear theirs. This is what your landlord needs to convey to them....if they can hear you, you can hear them. (in no way am I implying that you're being noisy)

Don't turn off your TV if they stomp...you have a right to watch tv. Don't stop vacuuming or showering either....you have a right to do these things in your unit. I'm a bit scrappy so I'd pound on the ceiling right back at them and continue doing what I was doing.

Good luck...maybe you can move to a top floor unit...but honestly it sounds like your building is part of the problem.
You post with these dismissive comments on a lot of noise threads, as if you think noise is no big deal (it's actually the biggest issue in apartments). What did you do to annoy your neighbors and get on this defiant track?

As for legality, violation of quiet hours IS illegal, just hard to enforce in a large complex.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue487 View Post
....If I have my TV on, they'll stand over the spot where my TV is and proceed to stomp and literally jump and down until I turn it down super low. Whenever I vacuum, they stomp and whenever I take a shower, they stomp like wild animals until I turn the water off....
I'll assume they're much worse than you, but having to hear a TV through the walls or floors can get very annoying, so there may be more going on here. Vacuuming is different since it's work being done, if not excessive at the wrong hours.

The problem with most noise threads is that readers aren't physically there for context.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodoven View Post
You post with these dismissive comments on a lot of noise threads, as if you think noise is no big deal (it's actually the biggest issue in apartments). What did you do to annoy your neighbors and get on this defiant track?

As for legality, violation of quiet hours IS illegal, just hard to enforce in a large complex.
If you’re talking nuisance noise, yes it’s a violation of the lease, but we’re not talking nuisance noise we’re talking daily living noise. There is a difference

Old 07-02-2018, 10:28 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Unfortunately if they know they are bothering you they will double down on the noise so you best bet is to do and say nothing, DON'T stop whatever you're doing to make them stomp, and move out without them knowing anything about it when the opportunity arises. Sorry about the trouble, high density living is bad enough without rude people, but there are tons of rude people.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:16 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
Can you ask to be moved to a different apartment in the complex? Perhaps one on the top floor?

Old 07-03-2018, 04:26 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Quote:
If you’re talking nuisance noise, yes it’s a violation of the lease, but we’re not talking nuisance noise we’re talking daily living noise. There is a difference
But, there is also a difference between "daily living noise" and people going overboard and unnecessarily and spitefully escalating "daily living noise" to the point of it becoming "nuisance noise". And we have surely had a few situations over the years where we have investigated and addressed those types of situations that you continually, to the point of ad nauseam, insist on always lumping into one category where you falsely believe can never be resolved. But you are clearly wrong.

Not everything is as black and white or as cut and dry as you always claim or believe it to be.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
But, there is also a difference between "daily living noise" and people going overboard and unnecessarily and spitefully escalating "daily living noise" to the point of it becoming "nuisance noise". And we have surely had a few situations over the years where we have investigated and addressed those types of situations that you continually, to the point of ad nauseam, insist on always lumping into one category where you falsely believe can never be resolved. But you are clearly wrong.

Not everything is as black and white or as cut and dry as you always claim or believe it to be.

Cleary that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I am not clearly wrong and you clearly didn't read the entire thread.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:48 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Quote:
Cleary that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I am not clearly wrong and you clearly didn't read the entire thread.
The "entire thread" has nothing to do with you consistently stating in every thread regarding noise issues that absolutely nothing can be done ever regarding "daily living noise" when it "clearly" can in many situations. But then again, I am not surprised that you still don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting