Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 10:49 AM

284 posts, read 379,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
According to the Law My Service Dog can Not be turned down no matter what No Pet Policy LL has.
Just because it's the law doesn't necessarily make it the right thing to do if there's a better option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 11:49 AM

762 posts, read 611,520 times
Not sure why I posted on here lol. This is the most anti emotional support animal forum I've ever ran across.

Mod, feel free to delete or end this thread. I figured these would be the responses anyway.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:17 PM

6,831 posts, read 11,563,293 times
All I can offer is that there are plenty of people living in the non-pet-friendly complex who are there specifically for that reason. They don't want to be around dogs, whether they are support dogs or whatever. I'm not questioning whether you need the dog or not. Just saying why stir up the pot if you don't have to.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:23 PM

Okay you guys got me so paranoid about living by someone who will try to poison my dog again. My dog RARELY barks, but I know there's people in the world who would try to kill him (maybe me too), or complain about me and my dog.

Apartment B has a major problem with mildew, mold, roaches, termites, and maggots. I looked into the reviews more after I posted this topic which was dumb. I guess (I'm not being sarcastic here either) it's better to live in an apartment that allows dogs that has those problems to avoid living among people who hate dogs.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:35 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,886,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
All I can offer is that there are plenty of people living in the non-pet-friendly complex who are there specifically for that reason. They don't want to be around dogs, whether they are support dogs or whatever. I'm not questioning whether you need the dog or not. Just saying why stir up the pot if you don't have to.
Exactly. If you want a dog and you can afford a dog, go ahead and have a dog. (Pro tip: aside from a very, very small number of people who have dogs for purely practical reasons--to guard their sheep, for instance--EVERYONE who decides to get a dog is doing so for emotional reasons.) Go live with your dog in a place that allows dogs. Simple and straightforward.

I love pets. I have cats. Someday I will have a dog. That's why when I was renting I only considered places where my pets would be welcome. But if I deliberately chose a living arrangement where animals were not allowed, I would be PISSED if suddenly a dog moved in.

Think of it like smoking. You have the right to smoke if you want to. I have a friend with a rare GI disorder whose doctor actually told him that the nicotine in cigarettes would reduce his symptoms to the extent that he would be healthier overall if he took up smoking. But just because it benefits YOU doesn't mean it is fair or right to impose it on everyone around you. If you want to smoke, live in an apartment that allows smoking. If you want a dog, live in an apartment that allows dogs.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:38 PM

284 posts, read 379,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
Not sure why I posted on here lol. This is the most anti emotional support animal forum I've ever ran across.

Mod, feel free to delete or end this thread. I figured these would be the responses anyway.
No one is (well, I'm not) anti emotional-support dog in the least. You asked about intentionally moving into a non-dog friendly apartment with your dog, for whatever purpose that dog has. Think about that for a second. Others might have specifically moved there because of their own emotional needs (fear or phobias of dogs), for example, or sleep issues that barking might cause, or severe allergies.

When I picked apartments, I picked places where my two rather large dogs were allowed, accepted, and legal.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
No one is (well, I'm not) anti emotional-support dog in the least. You asked about intentionally moving into a non-dog friendly apartment with your dog, for whatever purpose that dog has. Think about that for a second. Others might have specifically moved there because of their own emotional needs (fear or phobias of dogs), for example, or sleep issues that barking might cause, or severe allergies.

When I picked apartments, I picked places where my two rather large dogs were allowed, accepted, and legal.
It would be legal.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:41 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,329,788 times
I suggest you go back to the LL of the apt that doesn't allow pets. IF you feel Comfortable with the situation MOVE in & Enjoy IF Not then keep looking. Most LL don't want pets cause they had Bad experience. Most LL Wont turn you down do to it being against the law. But feel her out...could be a good match. Good Luck.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:55 PM

15,221 posts, read 10,334,199 times
Lamar I don't think anyone is being unsympathetic. I love dogs, actually I love most animals. If I have a neighbor with a barking dog I try to resolve it nicely before management has to get involved. Sometimes the owner doesn't even realize their dog barks a lot when they are gone. There are also ways to train a dog not to bark without resorting to shock collars. That being said, do you want to live where you will have to worry about your dog all the time?

Do you not like where you are living now? Are those two apts your only options?

Old 08-10-2016, 08:43 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,510,312 times
Dog aside, I was thinking #2 for a number of reasons revolving around amenities and price because where I live (in an apartment), water and sewer is about $170/month. So B is better financially. If yours is truly around $45, then that wipes out that pro. And later you said B is full of maggots and roaches, and that doesn't sound good at all.

I have no comments about the emotional support dog thing, but this took me aback:
Quote:
the girls there are bimbos but friendly
Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting