Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 04:40 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,040,448 times

Advertisements

german shepards are an aggressive breed and deserve to be on the banned list.

My HOA bans all bully/aggressive breeds and reserve the right to ban any dog that is/becomes aggressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 07:01 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,628,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I'm active in dog rescue and can tell you this is very true. I tried to rep you again but couldn't.

Hope you find something soon. I saw you had posted so checked the thread hoping for good news.
I put a deposit on a house yesterday.

I found Florida Federated, Waypoint and American Homes for Rent were pretty relaxed on their breed restrictions here in Tampa. If someone finds this thread in the future give them a buzz. Waypoint and AH4R are both national, Florida Federated is in Clearwater.

Florida Federated's property manager is heavily involved in animal rescue and has a very pet friendly animal policy.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:09 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,767,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post

I found Florida Federated, Waypoint and American Homes for Rent were pretty relaxed on their breed restrictions here in Tampa. If someone finds this thread in the future give them a buzz. Waypoint and AH4R are both national, Florida Federated is in Clearwater.

Florida Federated's property manager is heavily involved in animal rescue and has a very pet friendly animal policy.

Glad to hear this!

Old 04-02-2018, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,433 times
Default renting with pitties

Quote:

Vinny we are doing our research about the area as we have been planning on moving away from the rigid cold winters in Wisconsin. One of our concerns is finding a property that would allow our two Staffordshire terriers. I know your posts are a few years old, so by now you may have been living at one of these properties for a while. What was your experience? Any feedback?

My husband and I are actually looking for a warmer place to call our forever home, but for many good reasons we will test the water before looking at buying. We own multiple income properties and two coffee shops in Wisconsin, and haven't rented for many years. We did rent and traveled the world with our boxer many years ago prior to having two kids and now two dogs. I know from both sides how difficult it can be to have a rental property and pets (and kids). I have also read all the posts and recommendations about proving your case when it comes to securing a rental property with your canine friends. I hear you!

I'm just curious about how did it go for you, and if you would recommend anything else.
How can I find info about these properties online? I found Florida Federated, but not the other two.

JC

For the naysayers, we have also read all the red flags about staying away from the heat/humidity, and doing our research before moving. That is exactly what we are doing. We are not natives to WI and after almost two decades putting up with this frigging cold, we are ready to take a chance and offer our family many more opportunities to be physically active outdoors and not be stored in a dark house for 6 months of the year.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:07 PM

1,201 posts, read 805,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

My HOA bans all bully/aggressive breeds and reserve the right to ban any dog that is/becomes aggressive.
That is AWESOME! Many of them do.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:11 PM

1,201 posts, read 805,149 times
Quote:
It's really not even the pit bulls either, it's the people with the dogs. Most pits i've been around are great dogs, but they are the breed currently used as a violent status symbol. There was a time it was German Shepherds, Dobermans, Rotties and I'm sure more. People are the problem, but the dogs are the ones to suffer for it. I still say dogs under 15 pounds are far more aggressive, but their size means every bite isn't catastrophic. 1 pit bull bite equals one hospital visit, a pomeranian, not so much.

Thanks for the reply, I've been having mixed results when speaking to landlords about the insurance. A few have reconsidered and some still say no. I'll respect either decision and appreciate the ones that don't immediately hang up on me.

One landlord is going to meet the dog, get a copy of her vet records and I have a list of contacts for her to call for references. My vet, my current property manager, previous property manager, and dog walkers. I want to be sure they are content before we move in, I don't want to deal with a regretful landlord who will want us out at the end of the lease. I need to be here for 28 months, I don't think I want to be here any longer than I need to be, so buying is out. I certainly don't want to move again until i'm moving from the area.
Insurance companies don't care about anecdotal evidence. They are in the business of MAKING money, not losing it. They know which breeds are the most dangerous and they know that pit bulls have the highest payouts not only in medical and funeral expenses but lawsuits as well. There have been at least 3 landlords killed by their tenant's pit bulls and many, many cases where people have been mauled or killed by pit bulls in on a landlord's property. There have been quite a few lawsuits against landlords and insurance companies for pit bull attacks. Insurance companies aren't stupid and THEY aren't taking stupid risks with the deadliest dog breed in the world.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:34 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,628,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In need of sunshine View Post
Vinny we are doing our research about the area as we have been planning on moving away from the rigid cold winters in Wisconsin. One of our concerns is finding a property that would allow our two Staffordshire terriers. I know your posts are a few years old, so by now you may have been living at one of these properties for a while. What was your experience? Any feedback?

My husband and I are actually looking for a warmer place to call our forever home, but for many good reasons we will test the water before looking at buying. We own multiple income properties and two coffee shops in Wisconsin, and haven't rented for many years. We did rent and traveled the world with our boxer many years ago prior to having two kids and now two dogs. I know from both sides how difficult it can be to have a rental property and pets (and kids). I have also read all the posts and recommendations about proving your case when it comes to securing a rental property with your canine friends. I hear you!

I'm just curious about how did it go for you, and if you would recommend anything else.
How can I find info about these properties online? I found Florida Federated, but not the other two.

JC

For the naysayers, we have also read all the red flags about staying away from the heat/humidity, and doing our research before moving. That is exactly what we are doing. We are not natives to WI and after almost two decades putting up with this frigging cold, we are ready to take a chance and offer our family many more opportunities to be physically active outdoors and not be stored in a dark house for 6 months of the year.
All of these may have changed their policies since my first post, so check up. With the larger companies try to get documentation. I find that misinformation is spread even from representatives that should know better.

Florida Federated will be your best bet. They are a small management company and the broker is involved in pit bull rescue herself. I've been renting from them for a year and a half now. They are very old-fashioned and not super tech savvy. You'll want to call them about available units. I don't think all of their available units are listed on the website.

http://www.floridafederated.com/

https://www.americanhomes4rent.com/ is another I mentioned. They've broadened their restrictions, now GSDs are on the list and they weren't in the past. Their requirements dated 3/28/2018 are as follows.
Quote:
Certain dog breeds are not permitted, including Pit Bulls, Staffordshire Terriers, Rottweilers,
German Shepherds, Chow Chows, Doberman Pinschers, Akitas, Wolf-hybrids, and any mix
containing one of these breeds.
Looks like Waypoint is now part of Invitation Homes. Their policy page excludes Pit Bulls.

Quote:
• Dogs: The list of dog breeds that are restricted includes: American Pit Bull Terriers, Rottweilers,
any dog that has a percentage or mix of any of the above breeds. Also, any canines or other
dogs and hybrids thereof.

Hopefully that helps. Honestly, if I didn't need to be in the Tampa area for my wife to attend grad school I wouldn't live here. Renting is a very wise choice in my opinion, there are some quirks about the area you can only learn by living here. Unfortunately, your search for places to live will be extremly difficult, so there isn't much point to telling you about various neighborhoods or recomending a place to live. Like me, you'll be moving to whatever place will allow your pet. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2018, 01:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,228 times
To Lovehound, actually there are THREE kinds of "pets" (Note that Service animals and ESA's do not qualify as "pets")...Service animals, which are trained to perform certain tasks (lead the blind, bring medicine, detect seizures, etc) They can go anywhere the owner does (public places). Emotional Support Animals or ESA's, which are not formerly trained but provide some sort of relief or service to their owner (Ex: Helps reduce anxiety)..They are allowed on flights and landlords have to provide "reasonable accommodations" for them. No pet deposit or fees; no age, breed or weight restrictions. Tenant must have a letter from therapist or doctor stating that the tenant needs said animal to relieve whatever symptom, must be on official letter head and include doctors licence number and contact info, even though landlords cannot speak to them. ESA's do NOT have to be accepted at hotels and are not allowed in public places. And then, there are simply pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting